In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CVA 209 Primer Adapter

rrfhunterrrfhunter Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
I'm new to muzzle loading and trying to get started. I bought a used CVA Hunterbolt inline off the auctions and am having a real PIA. I assumed it would use 209 primers but when I went to the range to shoot it, it turns out the breech plug has a nipple for musket caps which can't be found. So I bought a 209 breech plug adapter and the instructions just say to screw it in until "snug" which I did(with grease) but there's about a 1/8" gap between the bolt face and the breech plug. The firing pin doesn't contact the primer. Is there supposed to be a "gapping" procedure like gapping a spark plug, etc?

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to double check to see if the model can use the breech plug adapter.

I have a CVA MAG HUNTER that I ruined the preech plug on. I didn't put anti-sieze on it and tore the chit out off it when I finally got it out. The tool kept slipping out as I was tring to twist it out.

I bought a replacement breech plug from Cabelas. I just turn it in until snug, not too tight.

Can you post a picture or your breech plug (out of the gun) and a picture of your bolt(out of the gun). I need to see the 2 surfaces that contact each other. I can probly tell you if they are a match that way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took the pics but I don't know how to attach them in this forum. What's your email address? The CVA part # of the breech plug is AC1678. The package says "For 209-capable cva inline rifles. I don't have the Hunterbolt owners manual but an old brochure I saw refers to the Hunterbolt as coming with the musket cap nipple and convertible to 209.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Email sent.

This is what mine looks like.

cva209.jpg
  • Options
    El BangoEl Bango Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a favor and re-breech for a large pistol primer,the 209 has too much "bow-wow"and can actually "push" the load forward a bit before ignition occurs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wanted to convert it from muzzle caps to 209 ignition because I of how hard it is to find muzzle caps. I bought the CVA 209 breech plug but I ended up calling CVA and my bolt is not compatible with it.

The good news is my buddy ran into some NOS muzzle caps at a gun shop this weekend so he bought me 400. Problem solved![:D]