In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking to buy first muzzleloader...

McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
Give me some tips on what to look for and what to stay away from.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a traditional style gun. 50 cal for plinking and 54 for hunting.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depends on what you want to do with it. hunt, target shoot, plink, and how much you want to spend.........
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a TC Hawken, shoot patched round ball and black powder.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you looking for a inline or side lock?

That would be the first step.
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be using it for both hunting and going to the range. I'd probably go with the inline, however, wouldn't be opposed to a side lock either. Watched a guy shooting a flintlock at the range one day and it looked like a lot of fun.

How does the weather affect each of the guns? Odds are, some/most of my hunting will be done during wet/snowy weather.

Remember, I'm a "beginner" at this...simplest might be best at this point...
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy an inline then, with the things you have mentioned.

They really vary in price.

I bought a CVA inline from a guy who was hurting for money. I didn't need it and it was $100, so I bought it.

Turned out to be the best shooting BP out of the 3 I own.

T/C & CVA are both good BP rifles. Each make cheap(I mean cheap in every way) rifles, and you can spend a lot of money for the good ones too.

Most people use pellets in the inline guns. You drop pellets in ram a bullet down and put a 209 primer in & bang. Little bit easier to load than a side lock and much easier than a flintlock.

Using the percussion and flintlock are fun and challenging, but as new guy to BP I recommend keeping it easy for a while then branch out to other types of guns.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the Thompson Center Omega model. It uses 209 primers (waterproof) and the breech is enclosed and out of the weather. You can get them in stainless steel with synthetic stocks. They are extremely accurate and powerful.
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for easy to remove breech plug, good (or adjustable)trigger and yes, weather protection. Hunting in the rain with a gun that goes click when you expect it to go bang, isn't too productive.

Probably hard to go wrong with a TC.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pursuit is a good entry level rifle, usually found under $300 with scope.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two T/C omega's with the thumbhole stock and love them. I also have a remington 700 ML that is really nice to shoot. Mine are all 50 cal and have taken deer out to two hundred yards.