In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hoppe's solvent

hogpukehogpuke Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
I bought a bottle of Hoppe's Elite Black Powder Solvent the other day to try and found that if it runs down the side of the gun it'll immediately mar the original finish on the butt stock of a very nice second model '73 Winchester (this produces the side affect of a seriously sick stomach). No warning whatsoever on the product that it might attack wood finishes. I've never had any similar problem with No. 9 or any other solvent. Anybody had any experience with this crap?

Comments

• Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not tried Hoppe's, but Pro Shot copper solv will do the same thing to stocks with oil finishes. I agree that there should be some warning on the label of both of these solvents.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoppe's and pro shot both mar wood stocks...

Whats the magic destructive ingrediant?

Agreed there should be a warning on labels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My guess would be oven cleaner.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might give Ballistol a try....interesting history on the product.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best to assume that any solvent formulated for metal bore cleaning would not be compatible with such dissimilar application as a wood finish, unless proven otherwise. A shame about your bad experience.
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never used it, but if it has a lemon smell to it, it contains a powerful solvent name d'limonene. D'limonene will destroy any wood finish. In the case of a long gun stock, after the wood no longer smells of lemons, I'd wipe down the effected area with boiled linseed oil.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    This is one reason why I use the old standby of hot soap and water, followed by a drying and good oiling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info guys. Live and learn, I guess. You would think a gun cleaning product that brags about being biodegradable and water soluble would be harmless to any part of the gun unless it warned otherwise. Oh well. Thanks again.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hoppes has always been the standard for barrel cleaning.
    This is the first hearing of its failure.