In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BARREL AND STOCK FINISH

smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
Just finished outting together a muzzleloader from part I bought and now need help in getting the type of finish for the stock, and which is the best browning type to use to make it look somewhat original. thanks

Comments

• Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I likd Dixie Gunworks Browning Solution for the metal and Tru Oil for stocks. Dixie has a red Colonial stain that also looks good if you have a hardwood stock. Like straigh Tru Oil on Walnut.
  • Options
    centerfiremancenterfireman Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got excellent results (on a flintlock rifle barrel) with Laurel Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown & Degreaser". It left a very even, deep, brown finish and was easy to apply.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I prefer the iodine finish. Clean the steel good and wipe iodine on it. It is a controled rust. When it gets to your prefered color, Oil the hell out of it to stop the iodine from working. There is no such thing as too much oil. It makes a very nice brown color.