In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt revolvers

gunandknifemangunandknifeman Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
Can someone shed some light on what it means when Colt revolvers are
mentioned as First, second and third generation guns? I am a novice and am perticularly interested in the SAA revolvers. Any good sources recommended for research?
Thanks
Terry

Comments

• Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I answered your question in the general discussion section. You may want to consider getting a copy of Dennis Russels "Percussion Colt Revolvers, the Second Generation". It is currently in the 6th edition, It contains complete information about both the 2nd and 3rd gen. percussion revolvers as well as schemetics and all accessories, cases and spare parts.
    For information about 1st gen. (original) colts, you can't do better than "The Book of Colt Firearms" by R. L. Wilson.
  • Options
    gunandknifemangunandknifeman Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Steg for the info I will certainly get one or both.
    Terry
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a Colt expert, but like many others have done much reading about Colt Single Action Army revolvers for many years. The "generations" of Colt SAA's refers to the dates of manufacture. 1st Generation: mfg from 1873 to 1940. 2nd Generation: mfg. from 1956 to 1975. 3rd Generation: mfg 1976 to current. The 2nd and 3rd Generation's involved very minor changes and some different manufacturing techniques. This info is from the Bluebook of Gun Values.