In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

fixed up my new/used KY Pistol

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
Several months ago a gunsmith friend told me he thought he could improve my latest flintlock acquisition ... a used .50 cal Kentucky Pistol.

I just thought I'd try to learn to shoot the thing on my own. Well, I did learn to shoot better ... ie. without flinching!

Anyway, last weekend I let him work his magic. He started by tweaking the trigger and moving the axis point, then reduced trigger pull for 9 pounds to 3 pounds, then he took the slack out of the hammer, then rehardened the frizzen and cleaned up the spring, then he reshaped the flash hole to concentrate flash from the pan and gave me one of his home-made knapping tools (made from a motorcycle motor valve) and showed me how to use it.

I asked how much I owed him ... he said "$20"! I gave him $30 and went straight to the range. It is a different, new gun ... I shot ten shots in a row with no problems (except for when I forgot to prime the flash pan once, but that was not his problem) not even touching the flint a single time!

Anybody else have problems procrastinating ... when you know better?

Comments

• andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the topic title, I thought this was going to be something kinky about a lubricant shooter. [;)][:D]
  • swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good time at the range. My only muzzle-loading pistol is a clunky Jukar, bought it for looks and haven't fired it yet but the trigger pull does not inspire confidence. Maybe I'll meet a nice gunsmith some day...