In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

N. Al or S. Mdl Tn blackpowder supplies

alabamatoyalabamatoy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Does anyone know where I can get blackpowder and percussion caps in my area? Seems everyone has the shotshell-looking primers for modern BP guns, but no one I can find has percussion caps.

I am a new Ruger Old Army owner (bought it here of course) and am having real difficulty finding supplies short of the exorbitant hazmat shipping fees (ouch!!) for mailorder. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the area your in, but I use #10 DYNAMIT NOBEL~RWS Percussion Caps on both of my old armys . I have tried different brands and these seem to fit the best. The remington brand was very loose on the nipples.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ordered some from Dixie Gun Works a year or two ago.....Don't remember any hazmat on them.....
  • Options
    alabamatoyalabamatoy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    I ordered some from Dixie Gun Works a year or two ago.....Don't remember any hazmat on them.....

Thanks for the reference, was not familiar with Dixie Gun works. But on their page, when I put the caps in the cart, it pops up with "Due to special shipping requirements, this product requires an additional $27.50 UPS Hazardous Materials Handling Fee per order."

This may be a lot better than Midwayusa.com, which puts 27.50 plus 9.99 handling on EACH ITEM. So some powder and some caps was $55 hazmat fee from midway. OUCH!!!!
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alabamatoy
    . . . some powder and some caps was $55 hazmat fee from midway. OUCH!!!!

I think you'll run into that anywhere . . . the regs get squeamish about putting powder and "detonators" in the same package !!

If you do a fair amount of shooting with BP, it's economical to order a fair amount from "Black Powder, Inc." Caps will still be a separate problem, though.

Is "fit" a problem with the caps, or the nipples, or both ? I know there can be a lot of difference. Some of my guns, Remington's sizes fit well, others not. I've found CCI caps to be good, and sometimes fit well when Remington's don't.