In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help converting TC Hawken

Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
My father just gave me his 50 cal. Hawken that was built by a gunsmith for him and engraved with his name and other things on the barrel.[^] It is a flintlock. I live in PA where we now have a blackpowder season that allows us to use in-line, cap locks and flintlocks. I would like to be able to convert this rifle to a cap lock, keeping the barrel intact with the engraving and such for sentimental reasons. Do they make a nipple that will screw into the barrel where the flash hole is now? It would need to be on a 90 degree angle. I've seen locks with hammers for sale to fit the Hawken rifle but cannot find the screw in nipples on 90 degree angles.

Is this all I would need to do to convert it? A lock w/ hammer and a nipple? I would really like to be able to put the gun back to flint once in a while.

Also, if there is a way to convert it, is there a way to use 209 primers instead of caps?

Thanks for your help.


  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    You could always buy a cap lock and switch them out. As for the 209 primers, I have been shooting BP for over 50 years, I can't remember the last misfire due to a bad cap. In my opinion it would be unnecessary to convert it to 209 primers.

    If it was me, I would leave this family heirloom as is and if I wanted to hunt BP I would go out and buy a TC Hawken caplock to use.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not had a problem with regular percussion caps.
    If you want more horsepower upon ignition, it is simple to replace the nipple with a musket cap nipple. They are lots bigger than a regular cap.

    As to you question about converting flint to percussion, sorry, I don't know.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it can be done. But, to have it convertable between flint and percussion requires two locks. Method: drill and tap the vent hole for a percussion "drum" (it is posssible the rifle has a removable vent). Install the drum and mark the location for the nipple. Drill and tap the drum for the nipple. Install the percussion lock.
    To convert back to flintlock; remove the percussion lock, unscrew the drum and screw in a removable vent, install the flint lock.
    The major problem is finding a percussion lock that is close to identicle to the original lock in size and geometry (sear location and hammer throw). Dixie Gun Works has all the parts needed.
    Another method I have read about is to: procure another frizzen; drill and tap the frizzen for a nipple; secure a cap screw in the flintlock hammer. Make sure they line-up fairly close. I suspect this method may have reliability problems. I intend to try it myself.
    Converting a percussion system to 209 primers is generally not feasable on a traditional style rifle. It can be done, but not easily. It does not seem to offer any advantages on a hunting style rifle.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not hunt with the flintlock?
Sign In or Register to comment.