In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A good inline muzzle loader

joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
I am thinking of getting a decent muzzle loader for my dad for christmas. What all would you guys recommend?

What id be looking for is a 50 cal. It would need to be easy to clean so an inline would be best? And his eyes arent the greatest any more so it would need to be able to have a scope mounted. Id be willing to go maybe $300. Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for that kind of money you won't be able to get a high end model unless you buy used, but for a good middle of the road shooter look at the Pursuit. They make two models one is 2inches longer than the standard model and has a fluted barrell, it may also be out of your price range, but the standard model should work for you just fine.
    I got one for my son, it breaks down like a single shot shotgun for easy cleaning, and shoots tennis ball size accuracy at one hundred yards for me, my son can group them much better.
    If you watch they run a special that includes everything needed to start shooting except powder, and it also comes with a 3x9 scope, I think these packages were going for $250-$279 last year in the black synthetic stock/blue barrell, stainless and camo options are a little more. For the average hunter it will do any/everything they need in a midpriced muzzloader.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it is way outside of your budget, but if your dad has been REALLY good this year you could get him the Savage.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311617804

I have one of these. Shoot smokeless powder and you only have to clean after every 100 shots.

If your dad took , let us say, 20 shots to sight it in, he could deer hunt with this rifle for years and never clean it.

I have the Savage and it is a wonderful rifle. You can shoot a light smokeless load which is the equivalent of 100 grains of black powder, or you can crank the load up and easily get more foot pounds than the 30 06.
    I have mine loaded with a hot load like that. With a 250 grain slug and 3,100 foot pounds it puts a whipping on a deer! I get 1 1/2 inch groups.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to say, these days $300 is pretty low end. Used Austin & Hallecks go for up to twice that. Maybe look for a used TC Black Diamond.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ended up getting a CVA wolf inline muzzle loader that came with a Burris 3x9x40 scope.

First off the scope package is crap. The rings they supply you with don't hold the scope high enough to clear the rear sight base. Luckily I had a set of Leopold rings that worked. Anywho I am having trouble getting this thing to print a group.

I am using TC 300gr bullet that i have to put in a plastic sabot. pyrodex pellets that come in 50gr pellet form. and Winchester triple seven 209 primers.

At 50 yards I was shooting consistently center and high. So i move ut to 100 yds and I'm shooting High and right and left and low and even missing the entire target. The fricken target is 2 ft by 2 ft!!

The only thing I can think of is I haven't been taking the time to to clean it after every shot. Holy crap does this thing get dirty in a hurry. Do I really need to scrub and rub patches down the barrel after each shot?

I thought I finally had it sighed in enough to take out today and I took a shot at a doe. How in t heck do you know if you hit them? I am pretty sure I missed (will find out for sure come daylight tomorrow) But all I saw after I shot was I think a flash of tail through the forest fires worth of smoke. Is there a powder i can use that doesn't put off that much smoke and might be a little cleaner???

Also is there a cheaper alternative to any of my components that will work well? Good god is this stuff expensive. Each shot is costing me around $1.50. I haven't Spent much on my 308 hunting ammo.

Also are muzzleloader 209 and shotgun 209 primers interchangeable?

Any advise?
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Pursuit 50 cal stainless with fluted barrel. Cabelas had a sale on them for $265 a while back with no scope. My friend picked one up at Cabelas for $289 blued barrel with 3x9 scope and rings. They are very accurate for a low end rifle. Easy to takedown and clean and very light to carry in the field. A decent choice for starting out on black powder.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joshmb - I use pyrodex pellets and don't have much smoke. Yes 209 shotgun primers are interchangeable with muzzleloader primers. I only buy 209 shotgun primers cause they're cheaper.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501
    I have the Pursuit 50 cal stainless with fluted barrel. Cabelas had a sale on them for $265 a while back with no scope. My friend picked one up at Cabelas for $289 blued barrel with 3x9 scope and rings. They are very accurate for a low end rifle. Easy to takedown and clean and very light to carry in the field. A decent choice for starting out on black powder.

which pursuit? it looks like there about 50 different models on the auction side.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501

which pursuit? it looks like there about 50 different models on the auction side.

the basic is the pursuit,made by traditions, the fluted barrell is the pursuit LT. each comes in black synthetic stock/blue, or camo/stainless or camo/camo barrell.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a CVA inline a few years ago. Walmart had them after deer season, clearanced at 75% off, so I paid $75. I put on a scope with rings that were made for the gun. After some research on different forums, the consensus seemed to be that Powerbelt Bullets shoot very well in CVA rifles.
    I use 275 and 300 grain Powerbelts over 150 grains of 777 2F. Groups about 3 to 3.5 inches at 100 yards.
    CVA's are bullet sensitive and switching to Powerbelts might solve your problem. This is not only my experience but also the opinion over many threads I found about shooting CVA in line rifles.
    I am a devout Pyrodex hater. I find it dirty and more caustic than real BP. I shoot lots of real BP in cartridges and other muzzle loaders and I'll take it over Pyrodex anytime. But for my in line I shoot 777. I can shoot 10 or 12 rounds without any cleaning. That's all I need for practice or sighting in.
    Shockey's Gold is also very clean (no residue) but produces less velocity.
  • Options
    mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my T/C Impact, but it might be a bit plain for what your looking at. I picked it up for $209 on sale. Mine is accurate, and easy to clean, not as easy as a speed breech, but pretty easy.