In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pyrodex P problems.

lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all, I have recently acquired an Uberti 1858 remington 44cal, stainless.
Unfortunately I am having problems with misfires (no hangfires luckily) even using magnum caps.
I have done some reading and some folks are using FFg BP in pistols, and have said that Pyrodex doesn't ignite as easily.
I am thinking of doing a duplex load of sorts with 5gr of FFg topped with 20gr of Pyrodex, essentially using the FFg (which I am told ignites easier) as an extension of the cap behind a pure lead ball
My thinking is that since the granulation is larger than FFFG, and thus slower burning the pressure is lower and "should" be safe.
Since I am new to BP revolver shooting (but not new to shooting or BP rifles) What do some of you more experienced folks think

Comments

• flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ?? I hope to learn something here, too. For my part, I've never had problems with cap and ball repro pistols, I've been shooting 'em for over 40 years, but never shot anything but FFFg black powder, the recommended "original" loads for the proper weight balls.

I'd think you'd have no worries at all with "original" loads in a stainless piece . . .
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always worked for me. In my experience you must make sure Pyrodex is well compressed or there can be ingition problems. Do not be gentle when raming the ball home.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no problem with using 5 gr of ffg under 20 gr of Pyrodex.

Why don't you just use 25 gr of fffg black powder?
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have real bp, why use a substitute at all. Nothing burns and cleans up as easily as the real deal. If I had to use any sub, I would hang both of my Sharps up and go shoot trap or skeet only.
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely just use real BP. Pyrodex is crap. Lube over the ball liberally and you can shoot all day with fouling build up or binding. Just wipe off the soot once in awhile. When time to clean everything comes off easily with soap (Dawn) and water.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lksmith03
    Hey all, I have recently acquired an Uberti 1858 remington 44cal, stainless.
    Unfortunately I am having problems with misfires (no hangfires luckily) even using magnum caps.
    I have done some reading and some folks are using FFg BP in pistols, and have said that Pyrodex doesn't ignite as easily.
    I am thinking of doing a duplex load of sorts with 5gr of FFg topped with 20gr of Pyrodex, essentially using the FFg (which I am told ignites easier) as an extension of the cap behind a pure lead ball
    My thinking is that since the granulation is larger than FFFG, and thus slower burning the pressure is lower and "should" be safe.
    Since I am new to BP revolver shooting (but not new to shooting or BP rifles) What do some of you more experienced folks think

I'm with Bartman. If you have the real deal; why are you futzing with substitute? The original gunpowder is easier to fire, easier to clean, and is more forgiving if you don't clean the gun for a week or so. Pyrodex is just the opposite. and costs more.
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the reason I am using pyrodex is that I haven't been able to get Fffg bp within 50miles. I could get ffg and have ffg since I no longer use bp in my rifle and have about a half pound left which would last a while were I using 25-30gr at a time.
    when loading I usually go til the lever bottoms out on all but the 30gr loads which I go til I feel it seat on the powder
  • flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy black powder on line from Powder, Inc.
    www.powderinc.com
    UPS right to your door. [:D]
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please explain your term "misfire." The problem may be the cap is not being hit hard enough. Possible cause: (1) a weak mainspring, (2) too much space between the hammer face and the nipple. Test each chamber by firing a cap on the empty chamber and check for reliable ignition. I would do it twice. I have read that original Remingtons had the hammer / nipple space problem. I have never had a problem with Pyrodex ignition in percussion revolvers and single shots.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried FFG? No reason why it will not function just fine. Possibly a little lower pressure and velocity but in the real world I doubt you would never know the difference.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always been told by my elders that RS(FFG) was for the percussion rifles/shotguns.

Pistols use RP or P (FFFG) for both types barrel & pan.

Flinklock firles/shotguns flash pan used (RP or P, FFFG) & barrel got (FFG or RS).

I don't even own a flinklock so I'm not going to claim to know diddly about them.

Just passing one what I've learned.

Pyrodex could possibly not ignite as easily as blackpowder because IMHO, it doesn't store as well.(freshness)
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    Please explain your term "misfire." The problem may be the cap is not being hit hard enough. Possible cause: (1) a weak mainspring, (2) too much space between the hammer face and the nipple. Test each chamber by firing a cap on the empty chamber and check for reliable ignition. I would do it twice. I have read that original Remingtons had the hammer / nipple space problem. I have never had a problem with Pyrodex ignition in percussion revolvers and single shots.

Cap goes off every time, but the powder doesn't.
    I even tried running a nipple pick before capping each time, no difference
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer ypour original question - your duplex load should work very well and is a common solution to ignition problems that result from using black powder subs (Pyrodex, 777, etc.)in muzzleloaders. In general, these subs ignite about 250 degrees F hotter than real black powder. That will vary somewhat depending on the brand of substitute powders, granulation size and other variables.

And, as mentioned above, Pyrodex degrades rather quickly after being opened with measurable loss of velocity and more ignition problems after as little as a year or so of first use.

Sounds to me that you've come up with a workable solution to your problems, given your circumstances. Good luck and have fun.