In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700ML muzzle loader problem

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
I have a Remington 700ml and have had it for 10+years and have shot numerous deer and never had a problem grouping shots 100 yards or less.

Last year I missed a deer with it cleanly and could not believe it.

So I have been trying to get it ready for this season and I cannot get it to group anything like it did for the last 9 or so years.

I have always shot the same bullets(Remington sabots) and 90 grains of Pyrodex powder

I load the same way I have done for 9 or so years

I have always had confidence in this load and rifle

I hate to give up on it

I have checked all screws for tightness(open sight screws too)

do any of you know what I should do to make it like it use to be[?][?][?]

Comments

• Options
    1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought, is there a chance that Pyrodex gets erratic with age? assuming that the barrel is clean and still straight it would have to be the propellent I would think?
  • Options
    festusfestus Member Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot Barnes Expander MZ bullets out of my remington 54 cal. Never could get the remington bullets to group well at all. They are harder to load than most but the group size and recovered bullets will impress you. I use 100 grains of black powder also.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1935Lee
    Just a thought, is there a chance that Pyrodex gets erratic with age? assuming that the barrel is clean and still straight it would have to be the propellent I would think?

yep I tossed the old powder and primers and bought new and am on target now [^]

back to one shot kills with my 700ML [^]