In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dog pain killer???

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
My little Pomeranian is less than 10#....he attacked a BIG Golden Retriever several years ago (and lost the battle horribly.) He was lucky to have lived. He never used one of his back legs after he healed up.

Now it seems he is getting old and he may have problems with pain. He yelps out for no reason sometimes.....

I'm going to take him to the vet soon, but just wondered do people give asprin or Tylenol to dogs???

I don't remember ever having to do this sort of thing.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't recall which, but one is good for dogs, and the other is harmful.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    My little Pomeranian is less than 10#....he attacked a BIG Golden Retriever several years ago (and lost the battle horribly.) He was lucky to have lived. He never used one of his back legs after he healed up.

Now it seems he is getting old and he may have problems with pain. He yelps out for no reason sometimes.....

I'm going to take him to the vet soon, but just wondered do people give asprin or Tylenol to dogs???

I don't remember ever having to do this sort of thing.

Tylenol can be toxic in dogs. They use coated aspirin for arthritis sometimes.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baby asprin less then 10 lbs just a half
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of our dogs ( 5 total ) is a lab mix she has survived two surgery's for removing growths last one was a very large one and a couple smaller ones . vet suggested give her aspirin , I can tell she has some uncomfortable days but for the most part does well. she still goes running thru the yard chewing on the German Shepard. ( playing )not as often but still enjoys the fun she is undisputed Queen of the dogs in our house.
    be careful as stated some drugs are more harmful then good for dogs that we take ,
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dog is getting up there in age, and getting a little stiff. took him to the vet last winter. She said its partly just age, but recommended chondroitin pills. They have made a huge difference.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When our dogs get older we give them petaprin. Its designed for joint pain. They get around and act like young dogs when their on it.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    aspirin, but remember pain is there for a reason, dogs given pain killers often injure themselves further
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey

My American Bulldog was doing the same thing. For no reason she would yelp,jump up and look to see if something had bitten her.

This went on for awhile and I took her to my Vet. and he said she is just getting old and has joint problems and prescribed a drug called
    Tramadol for her.

Tramadol is restricted and prescription only but works well and is really inexpensive.I pay less than 16 bucks for 120 50mg. pills and give her 2 pills three time a day.(Yes that's a lot of pills but she weighs 130 lbs. )

The pills are really small but must taste bad so to make things easier,I hide them in a tad of peanut butter on the tip of my finger.

Talk to your vet and see what he says.There are several vets. where I take my dogs and none have a problem with Tramadol for dogs.
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasey,
    Talk to your vet about "Previcox", it has worked wonders on our Airedale.

Mule
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a number of pain meds for dogs including Ibuprofen, Vetprofen, Rimadyl, Novox, and Tramadol. Some of these require regular blood tests for long term use to make sure there isn't liver damage.

There are quite a few human meds that can be used with dogs including allergy meds such as Benadryi and other OTC Antihistamines. Ask your vets some human alternative meds are significantly cheaper than Vet meds. Obviously you want to research this and get a vets opinion before administering the meds to your animal. There are quite a few websites that make recommendations.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vet said of all the OTC pain meds only aspirin is ok for dogs.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rimadyl

https://www.rimadyl.com/

Rimadyl

RIMADYL is the first and original FDA-approved medication developed specifically for dogs to improve their mobility by reducing joint pain and inflammation.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    My vet said of all the OTC pain meds only aspirin is ok for dogs.

You might want to inform your vet that a lot of good meds have been invented since the days he was grinding up willow bark to treat the dinosaurs with. [:D]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve45
    When our dogs get older we give them petaprin. Its designed for joint pain. They get around and act like young dogs when their on it.

where do you buy petaprin ?
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get it all over the internet. Amazon has it quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    quote:Originally posted by steve45

where do you buy petaprin ?
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    sorry, but i do not do internet buying, looking for a local source.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a dog that size - baby aspirin.

Never give a dog Tylenol without asking your vet.

Nasty stuff - ruins your liver.

[;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books