In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

why i dont fly

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
well one of the many reasons. took my son to the airport for a 0600 flight to dallas ( hour and a half flight) this morning. he did not arrive in dallas until 1600, 12 hours later. He said they had some delays.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    couple reasons i dont like to fly is first i cant flap my arms enuff stay aloft and second is Newtons law that GRAVITY SUCKS......
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some folks say ?If god had meant for you to fly, he would have given you wings? but I say, ?if he had meant for you to remain grounded, you would have been born with a tap-root?!
    “What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well alrighty then. Yeah I have run into some delays, changed flights, canceled flights, crying babies and smelly jerks in the next seat. On the other hand, it would have been a real drag trying to drive to Australia, Egypt, Israel, Armenia, France, England and a few other places I am really glad I did not miss. Last time from Costa Rica, they cancelled our flight and booked us the next day for Dallas instead of Phoenix. That was when the grounded the 737s and our flight home from Phoenix was on a 737. Nope, gotta be back, so that won't work, put us back on the flight to Phoenix. I got on the phone and got on line and reserved a car in Phoenix and we drove home from there. A bit of a hassle and along day, but Costa Rica was great, and well worth it.
  • Options
    neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have always wanted to go to Alaska. Just booked a flight for June 2020 for 9 nights in Anchorage. Plan on doing a day or two of fishing, two days of boating (one around the ice and the other a jet boat up a river), and the rest just sight seeing and relaxing. Really looking forward to it. Flying from Memphis to Dallas (son joining us there) and then non-stop to Anchorage. Coming back us and the son will fly separate as we will be flying non-stop to Atlanta and then back to Memphis and he will be stopping in Seattle and then on to Dallas. Gonna be a looooonnng flight. We thought about a cruise, but decided we would have more freedom to do what we wanted and no time-constraints on it if we just flew in.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Last time I flew was in 1984. Haven't missed it at all. If I can't drive, I don't go. Use to work, for both the aerospace industry and the navy. Had my fill, of constricted, claustrophobic spaces, in both jobs.

Not about to get in a flying sardine can, with a couple hundred other sheeple. Specially after the the 737 debacle, that Boeing, (my former employer). Has got itself in. By letting the bean counters call the shots, instead of the engineers. Just to save some dinero.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started to say the only time I've flown is when Uncle Sam told me to but I did voluntarily catch a C130 military hop between Okinawa and Korea a few times. The last time I flew was when I got back from overseas.

40 years ago today was the first time I ever flew, heading for MCRD.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with you on the I hate flying thing.

Its not so much the flight it all the crap leading up to it and after.
    RLTW

• Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    I am with you on the I hate flying thing.

Its not so much the flight it all the crap leading up to it and after.

I have a friend that owns a private airplane. I love to fly with him, but he doesn't require me to remove my shoes. :lol:
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flying years ago was actually easier of course and better imo. Now it is a cattle car on wings, BUT, if you need to get there you just have to do it. I fly sometimes and drive sometimes. Depends on various factors. Remember ashtrays, lunches, and room in the seats? I do, lol. Now that funny crap right there.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the benefits of retirement is you usually don't have to be there tomorrow, as others have said it not the flying I mind it is the thought of being treated like a criminal at the airport before you get on. personally I will take an extra day or two and drive and living on the east coast I have no desire to go back to the west coast again, did boot camp in san diego and short stay at Pendleton after that, saw frisco, LA, and Anaheim, Montecello, back then that was enough especially Hollyweird, it was crazy 40 years ago, no desire to see it now, so not going to west coast makes my driving time usually 2 days at most to get anywhere I really want to see, I can handle that, plus see things in between you can't see from the air, may seem old fashion but so am I and plan to stay that way.....
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have to fly frequently for my employment and that was before all the so-called "security measures" forced upon people these days. It was OK and no big deal to get to the airport 10 minutes before the flight departed. No hour long waits to go thru the screening, etc.

Since then I've only flown twice and have no desire to ever do so again.

Can anyone document exactly how many terrorist have been caught at airports in the USA since all the so-call "security measures" were implemented? And exactly how many millions of hours have been wasted and tens of millions of dollars expended on the measures?

Frankly, I believe it has been an exercise in futility.
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frankly, I believe it has been an exercise in futility.

That can't be right. Think of the expertise TSA buys at minimum wage. Awsome! :lol:

Hey if Kansas City is the most exotic place you want to see, then more power to you, safe trip. I want to see places even my Tundra can't go, so I put up with the hassles and fly.

To each their own.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really don't have that much desire to see those "exotic" places.

There are so many other things I haven't seen yet.

For instance, I haven't seen inside my neighbors bedroom. (She just got new curtains.) :lol:
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate flying. I avoid it at all costs. I get crazy anxiety from it. Last time I flew was about 3 years ago when I flew to Alaska for work. All I could think about was seeing thousands of square miles of jagged mountains and crashing into them. And if I somehow survived then having to be around bears & wolves without a gun lol. Thankfully the flight was pretty smooth both ways. Can?t say the same about flying to Detroit and having a layover in Denver. Thought the plane was gonna crash from turbulence.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rather fly the smaller jets than the large jets.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys hurt my feelers. I love the freedom of being a pilot flying my own airplane going where ever the urge hits me to go. It is pretty easy to fly 350 miles just to have lunch someplace I had never been before. Most airports have free courtesy cars for pilots to use and we take advantage of it often. If going long distance I just suck it up and sit in the cattle car commercial flights with my ANR headset on, watching the in seat entertainment ignoring all the goings on with kids, drunks and rude folks.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am deeply grateful that so many people refuse to fly - the airports are crowded enough as it is.

TSA nonsense is aggravating, no doubt. Getting the TSA-Precheck solves 90% of the hassle. And how else can you have breakfast in Salt Lake City, lunch in Atlanta, and a lobster dinner in Maine - the same day?

Wifey is boarding a plane even as I type this (I'm a Class B bachelor for almost a week!) and we vacation often. Flying makes it possible.

Being a former pilot can be a disadvantage. One can tell when things are going "non-standard" and it gets unnerving in a hurry!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before I retired, was a consultant on blasting. Mining & construction. Flew about 150 times a year.
    Y'all ever had TSA take what looks like a cleaning patch, wipe down your carry-on, drop it in a machine? It's called an ion scan.

Ever see what happens when it comes up positive for trace amounts of HMX, RDX and TNT? And they have no idea what a blaster's license looks like.

No longer having a social life, I found I was starting to like the pat downs...?

The folks that work in EOD have the same issues. The tracers taggants added to explosives transfer to your skin, they get everywhere, take forever to wash off wear off.

Tell me again I should just drive. Can't find the bridge to Guam or Juneau.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I refuse to go through the security dance...The best flying for me was back in the Air Force. Any TDY , any time of year....C-130s or C-141. I would wear my parka, stick ear plugs in my ears and then put on ear muffs. After we were in the air, I would go lay down on the cold deck, zip the parka hood all the way closed, and sleep like a baby. :P
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flying used to be a genteel classy mode of transportation. Now it is a flying bus complete with the same nuts and fruits you encounter on any city bus. How many times have you seen on the news about planes turning back or diverting to a closer airport due to crazy/unruly passengers. They should have an airlock to dump these people out mid-flight and then get me to where I am going on time. Bob
  • Options
    bearman49709bearman49709 Member Posts: 503
    edited November -1
    varian wrote:
    well one of the many reasons. took my son to the airport for a 0600 flight to dallas ( hour and a half flight) this morning. he did not arrive in dallas until 1600, 12 hours later. He said they had some delays.

0600 to 1600 is 10 hours not 12.
    Last time I got on a plane was September 1984. Never had a reason to get on one since.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree the grand old days of pretty stewardesses free food and drinks sadly gone....

Only fly now when necessary. Trains and my truck are best for trips under 500 miles.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
    edited November -1
    Most of the train tracks around here have been removed and the area trains once roamed are now paved hiking\biking trails. I would love to have the travel by train option. Flying has been off my list of enjoyable travel for a very long time now.

Heck! Driving has also changed a lot since I got my license 47 years ago! I much prefer taking the back roads, as the multi lane highways often make my knuckles pop white as they tightly grip the steering wheel! Peoples addiction to smart phones has turned driving into a game of Russian Roulette! :evil: