In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need ideas on ground hog removal

BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

So I went out to the pole barn and noticed a hole under the cement. I have a 6x8 area with no cement for a future small bathroom. It dug right under the corner inside corner.

There were 2 additional holes under the pressure treated base board & cement dug from under the over hang that runs the length of the barn.

So the options I came up with were:

1- put out a live trap with a slice of apple. Tried that a few years ago when we last had the issue, ended up shooting them as the didn’t go for the apple. But hey, it’s a new batch!

2- put out the trail cam to check for The times they come and go, then sit out and wait to pick them off.

3- open the Doors at each end of the barn on a breezy day, put a hose as far in the hole as possible, connect the other end to the tractor exhaust. Wait by the other holes (outside) with some number 5 shot.

4- ? Looking for ideas...

P.S. the concrete inside is in good shape, so as funny as a flying groundhog would be, no explosives! (That was a good one yesterday chme!)

Comments

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    Sounds like your ideas should work Bob.  I have never found any kind of bait that a groundhog would be tempted into a trap.  In the past I have just waited them out with my high powered pellet rifle loaded and ready.  I could not use anything else at the location the hog was burrowing.  

I was successful and the memories of the kills are actually quite pleasant!  
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭

5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Groundhogs (Without Harming Them)

by Farmers' Almanac Staff | Posted In: Home and Garden

5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Groundhogs Without Harming Them

5 Natural Ways To Get Rid of Groundhogs

1. Epsom salts sprinkled near or around the burrow entrances or exits will keep the groundhog away. If your plants are being eaten, try placing a tin pie plate filled with the salts near the plants. Replace after a rain.
    2. Castor oil poured in and around the burrow holes can be an effective way to discourage them (they hate the smell) but apply only when you know they’re not there, otherwise, they’ll just stay burrowed. You’ll have to keep vigil to see when they head out to find food.
    3. Human hair clippings from your local barber or hairdresser can also work well because they dislike the scent of humans. Sprinkle clippings around areas where the groundhog frequents. Or to avoid it blowing away in the wind, place clippings in a fine mesh bag and secure it to a stake near the groundhog’s dwelling.
    4. Soiled kitty litter poured around one of the den holes (but not the other) is also effective as it smells like a predator. Leaving one exit hole scent-free allows them to escape rather than stay burrowed.
    5. Offensive Scents: There are certain smells groundhogs absolutely detest. If you can ensure these smells are present near their burrows and around the garden, you may be able to send them packing:
      • Cayenne pepper – Our Farmers’ Almanac readers swear by this method: Simply pour cayenne pepper close to the groundhog’s holes. Buy a large container (bulk size) so you can create a small pile. When it rains or is windy, you’ll have to reapply. It’s actually the smell and the heat they don’t like. You can also spray tender plants with a mixture of 2 teaspoons cayenne with one quart of water to deter them from nibbling.
      • Garlic – Crush some garlic cloves and spread the paste around areas of the garden you want groundhogs to avoid. Their sensitive noses can’t handle the pungent smell.
      • Lavender – Try planting some lavender around the garden. While it smells lovely to us, groundhogs find it offensive and avoid the areas where it is. They also dislike the smell of these herbs: basil, chives, lemon balm, mint, sage, thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
    I have used the epson salt  and kitty litter at my mom's place and it seemed to work and if you don't have pets  lime around the hole will get rid of them it burns their feet
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Option #2.

My favorite hunting when in High School was Groundhog hunting. Some shots at long range. (.243) If you are patient and quiet, you will get them. Most shots with a .22 mag over the top of my 20 ga. Savage 24. (We'd get $5 per for getting them out of farmers fields.) Wait for a few to come out in a freshly mown hayfield, everyone pick a different target. 3-2-1.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Ammonia worked very well in getting rid of the skunks under my barn floor.  Pour a 1/2 gallon down the hole and see if that don't do the trick.
  • Options

Making them, just go away, they will just dig another hole/burrow not to far away.

Choot em'.

If/when I have mice in my house, I don't just catch them and throw them outside, to come back in. (Same way they got in, in the first place.)

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    I have tried the listed suggestions above, .....and they all failed!
    They are usually out first thing in the morning, and late afternoon.  they will be within 20 or so feet of the hole, and very wary, and yes, they can see behind them.  I had that problem around my pole building, and still do, every year, as there is a shed located nearby, butted up against the fenced in vegetable garden.  You need something at the far end corner of the shop to slide behind and if possible, have just enough of a hole to poke a barrel through, and shoot them from there.  That worked the best for me.  If there are young with it, shoot the adult first, the remainder are not as smart yet and can be removed over the next few days.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger 77/17, Hornady 17hmr, and a little patience. Bullet goes in, blows up and groundhog falls over dead. I leave it where it lies and the fox, coyote, buzzard population takes care of disposal within 2 days. Everything else I've tried just made them dig a hole somewhere else. It is a little early in the year but I imagine I'll start seeing a few in the next couple of weeks. Bob
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,345 ******
    BikerBob said:

So I went out to the pole barn and noticed a hole under the cement. I have a 6x8 area with no cement for a future small bathroom. It dug right under the corner inside corner.

There were 2 additional holes under the pressure treated base board & cement dug from under the over hang that runs the length of the barn.

So the options I came up with were:

1- put out a live trap with a slice of apple. Tried that a few years ago when we last had the issue, ended up shooting them as the didn’t go for the apple. But hey, it’s a new batch!

2- put out the trail cam to check for The times they come and go, then sit out and wait to pick them off.

3- open the Doors at each end of the barn on a breezy day, put a hose as far in the hole as possible, connect the other end to the tractor exhaust. Wait by the other holes (outside) with some number 5 shot.

4- ? Looking for ideas...

P.S. the concrete inside is in good shape, so as funny as a flying groundhog would be, no explosives! (That was a good one yesterday chme!)

Hire some folks with dogs bred to weed them out.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭
    17HMR if you have the time.
    A can of caustic soda drain cleaner if you don't.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Im having the same problem.  I put a half box of moth balls and half gallon of ammonia in each of two holes.  It failed to bother the rascal.  I have two traps set now,  a 220 conibear over one hole and a jump trap down the other.  No action yet.  They are smart and hard to get a shot at.  I need to get him before my potatoes and kale come up.  He mows it off as fast as it grows.   I hesitate to use poison. for fear of the neighbors pets.  They must be his buddies.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    I sprinkled some cayenne pepper around the hole under our sheds. They didn't come back.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I've shot groundhogs with a few different rifles but most of the time I just use a .22lr for what you are describing.   If you are going to shoot long range it takes a rifle that can do that but groundhogs aren't hard to kill.  Other then ones I shot for a buddy that were digging under his barn I haven't shot one in years.  I noticesd there just wasn't as many of them as there used to be and thought they could use a break.  When the coyotes moved in here in the 70' and 80's they were hard on groundhogs.  I've noticed there seems to be more of them the last few years, maybe they adapted to the coyotes.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Give a call to "Bill Murray" :D
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭
      just put up a sign,  no groundhogs allowed.........  
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a whistle pig problem a few years ago. Planted a garden near the wood pile, big pile. Bean rows started to get shortened. Figured it was a "pig" as there were many dens around here.Broke out the trusty 243 smithed by Mike Davis, one holer for sure. Went about 200 yards, run out of distance, from the wood pile and in about 5 minutes things started happening. Popped one and called it done. Just out of curiosity went back the next day, 4 more off the same wood pile. Beans aplenty at end of season.
    Hot lead is as good a cure as I know of. Had to be quite around the wife, we have had them as house pets over the years.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    AR with ab Acog

standard.jpg
  • Options

Why the box?

Gonna mail it somewhere?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Some bodies got to do it.
    How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭

A little wire snare will make short work of them. Killed a ton that way. Better than live traps. Not as fun as shooting......but you don't have to wait.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Do you put the snare in the entrance hole?  How big a loop?  Ill try almost anything.  Live traps I agree are not the whole answer.  They wise up to them in a hurry.
  • Options
    carrie2carrie2 Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭
    Would be willing to bet that a few guys on this forum are needing target practice, Leave your location here and wait for the offers!
    Kentucky born and raised!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Yes, my issue is the time. Supposed to be nice this weekend, but going to open the trap range for some properly social distanced practice Saturday. Maybe I can sit out with a chair and a .17 on Sunday pm a bit.

Was hoping to chase them out on my time vs. being patient. I guess I can try sniping it before I try to gas them out and then use Oakie’s cayenne on the perimeter to try to keep them away.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

You should be able to find some cheap snares online. They'll have stiff, thin wire that makes a good loop, and a cinch to make it tighten (one way - like a zip tie). Place it at the hole at night and anchor the snare to something secure. Loop should be big enough that the groundhog can't go around it, but small enough that it catches on him when he passes through. Try not to handle the snare with your bare hands - don't want him to smell it when he gets to it.

Here is an example of snares...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G4MR5LM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DvnQEbQAJ678Q

Here is a clip of a guy setting up a groundhog snare.....with success.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Frog

🐸

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob, Try some Juicy Fruit gum at the upwind side of one of their known/recently used holes. I will guarantee the critter in question will present a shot, just a matter of timing. They also like the smell of black licorice.
  • Options
    Thanks Frog,  thats the next thing Ill try.  No activity the first day I put my traps in,  but he will get hungary especially if the sun ever shines here.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

I never tried this but a buddy told me about it back around 1975. I don’t recommend it near buildings you want to keep.

5 gallons of water

1 gallon of gasoline

1 disposable torch

2 people with shotguns

pour the water down one of the holes

pour the gas in the same hole

from a safe distance, light the torch and toss it in

ground hogs will either die in the burrow or come running out one or both of the holes where you’re waiting with the shotgun.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Gregor62 said:
    Bob, Try some Juicy Fruit gum at the upwind side of one of their known/recently used holes. I will guarantee the critter in question will present a shot, just a matter of timing. They also like the smell of black licorice.
    Do they still sell Juicy Fruit gum?
    Yep, but if ya can't find any at the store, just go to a school, there is tons of it stored under the desks. :#

• Options
    Collector52Collector52 Member Posts: 30
    If legal in your state:
    Size 2 coil spring trap set near the hole and staked deep.  Cover with dirt, no bait.
    Bait will draw crows.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭
      you may try a slow striptease in middle of the day, if it doesn't attract him, it will surely run him off.......................
  • Options
    Conibear, death every time. Had a fellow near here a few years ago, chickens got to missing, he set big conibear trap in the path to chicken house, caught 2 Messicans, true story. They ended up in the near by emergency room. Needless to say he didn't set that kind of trap again.
    Yes they still make Juicy fruit gum.
    Spring traps are easy for a "hog" to slip out of. They are very strong, little legs, and feet are small.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭
    After you shoot them. Skin an clean then bar b que
  • Options
    They are a very clean animal, no carrion eaters.
    Very similar to roast beef. Must clean them properly before cooking as they have lymph nodes under the front legs.

• Options

It’s all the sudden like I’m living in a zoo!

Shot a raccoon, dropped it out by my apple trees and had some nice vultures doing some cleanup.

Another raccoon thinks it’s funny stuff shaking the bird feeder pole until the sunflower feeder falls to get at the seed.

Had a Rose Breasted Grosbeak there this PM.

And I walked out of my basement converted to work to work from home office today and saw this!

But I’ll try the snare, if the .17 and a chair and a cooler method doesn’t work this weekend!

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    looks like a good mouser
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of snake is that ?

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    A long time ago a local radio station had a contest for the best idea for a 16 ton block of granite. Not sure what the winning idea was but my favorite was to bounce it on their lawn to kill the groundhogs.
  • Options
    Possible, banded water snake.
    Target?
  • Options

I think it was an eastern hog nose.

Here is the funny part, the text with my wife...