In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bidding higher than Buy It Now

DanDan Member Posts: 4

I know forum support questions aren’t allowed here, but this is more of a question regarding buyers and buying options:

Why would someone choose to bid higher on auctions when there are ‘Buy it Now’ Options that are cheaper than auction prices from other sellers? All things considered (shipping, card fees, etc) I Just don’t understand?

I buy a lot online and am new to GB, so I’m excited to get my first rifle here. Just curious is all.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    it has been known to happen
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    cuts out the bidder on buy it now
  • Options
    RustyjackRustyjack Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    cuts out the bidder on buy it now
    Not sure that's the case. In a recent auction I bought a gun with the buy it now button. Another bidder had put the same buy it now price in as a bid (hidden) above his currently winning lower bid. He lost the item because he did not hit "buy it now" button.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭
    As Rusty said. UNLESS you hit the BIN button and it is the same bid the auction goes on. I have seen items here go for hundreds more than the BIN! So if you want it the BIN button is your friend.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭

I think every now and then people get caught up simply lose the attention to detail.

Stupid can be expensive.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Warbirds. I think sometimes people just do not do any research or looking at other auctions/what's available. They find an auction on an item that they like/want, and it's off to the races. Sometimes auctions/bids are ego related. (ie.) "No way am I gonna let this guy outbid me."

They can be entertaining to watch.

Personally, I like the BIN option. If I like/want the item, & I think it is a fair price. Done deal. No muss no fuss.

• Options

Sounds like this might be the reason. Probably just didn’t realize that there are other options. Thanks gentlemen!

• Options

Welcome to the Forums Dan. I hope you come back. A lot of really Smart guys with tons of knowledge hang out here. (They even tolerate me.) Auction plugs offered up here also get a lot of play. I have purchased a large portion of my auction firearms by virtue of "heads up" offerred up by Member here.

Post on occasion. New (intelligent) blood is welcomed.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    The buyer probably really wanted that item but thought he could get it cheaper than the 
    buy it now price. 
    Then another buyer got involved and now he's stuck paying more by bidding up.
    It's the other side of the coin where you set the buy it now and someone snaps the item 
    right up.  Then you realize you should have put the buy it now a little higher.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    In the words of Mr. Kipling:

"If he, being young and unskillful
    plays for shekels of silver and gold-
    take his money, my son, praising Allah.
    The fool was made to be sold."  
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    What, no one wants to mention a little drinky winky could be the problem? It's only happened too me once, no, twice... whatever.. Stuff happens.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If I recall the Buy It Now option goes away when you get with in $15 (I think) of the BIN price.  I've bid on items close to the BIN with the intent to hit the BIN and it went away because we got with in a certain amount.
  • Options
    owlesowles Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

Only with you bet your life? My nephew can't figure it out, and my guess is a W2 this time its one for the road! I found the job trail while picking up the Chablis, Fedex is around the corner where drop offs are down the street and home again, its Western Union to  take out the litre a school bus driver... Not anymore! Me, I'm changing a tire on Mc Kinley at Pierce St "your dead two."

gotta … go

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭
    owles said:

Only with you bet your life? My nephew can't figure it out, and my guess is a W2 this time its one for the road! I found the job trail while picking up the Chablis, Fedex is around the corner where drop offs are down the street and home again, its Western Union to  take out the litre a school bus driver... Not anymore! Me, I'm changing a tire on Mc Kinley at Pierce St "your dead two."

gotta … go

I think this is the most I have seen someone write in a while that I have absolutely no clue as to what he was refering to or trying to say.......
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    shilowar said:
    If I recall the Buy It Now option goes away when you get with in $15 (I think) of the BIN price.  I've bid on items close to the BIN with the intent to hit the BIN and it went away because we got with in a certain amount.
    Believe that be false. BIN is just that.
    As I have seen it unless the bidder hits the BIN and just bids, the BIN stays there and bids continue past if anyone bids above that.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I read that a couple times hillbille.

I have no clue what he was trying to say, or even if he was on the right thread. LOL.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

He probably thought he was contacting AAA.

• Options

Well, you got me. I have tried to decipher your reply and my conclusion is that you’ve gone and posted on the wrong thread. Lol.

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the key to the above post is this. "while picking up the Chablis,". :D