In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Searchers (one of the best John Wayne movies)

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
On TV @11.00am central.  Grit channel.

0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

It's the greatest western of all time.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Nah, the Greatest Western of all time is Lonesome Dove. IMHO.

I've watched the Searchers a bunch of times, but always found it kind of depressing.

Big John Wayne Western fan though. I always thought The Cowboys was his best.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching the really old John Wayne movies from the 1930s. Many have Gabby Hayes in them. I can't believe how terrible they are. The movie titles have no relation to the movie. The fist fights are horribly fake with fists missing the guy's chin by at least a foot, but the guy falls over anyway. Every movie has a scene of John Wayne (probably a double) jumping into water, and the exact same water scene occurs in more than one movie.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******
    But! But! John Wayne dies in The Cowboys!  :(   Bruce Dern regrets the day he did this movie!  It set his career back a good long ways.    

I also REALLY find Lonesome Dove to be one of the best western miniseries ever made!  

The old classics including The Searchers never grow old IMO!
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Brookwood the Japanese guy that played the main Bad Dude (Cpl./Sgt Watanabe) in Unbreakable, had reservations taking the part. Citing Bruce Dern from the Cowboys.

He seemed like a really nice, very intelligent guy.

Played a major league guy you would totally hate, in the movie.

That is a difficult movie to watch. (I've seen it 3 times now.) I cry every single time at the end when they show the real prisoner/Olympic athlete (Sorry, drawing a blank on his name just now.) from the ordeal, the last 5 minutes or so after the movie ends.

The only person who would not meet him years later, was Cpl./Sgt. Watanabe (The Bird.) That guy should have been hanged for War Crimes.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    JW said it was his best movie.

For me the best western is probably "The Wild bunch" with "Lonesome Dove" a very close second and Tom Horn in there too.

I am a huge Western fan and a big JW fan too.
    RLTW

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree  john wayne's best movie.  is depressing tho.