In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

After years of denial, the NRA finally fesses up.

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like NRA execs really have been taking from the cookie jar. After years of denials, the National Rifle Association now admits that current and former executives—including current CEO Wayne LaPierre—recklessly used NRA funds for their personal enrichment, the Washington Post reports.

According to a 2019 tax filing, LaPierre and five former executives took advantage by bloating their expense accounts or receiving excess salary. But the filing also says LaPierre has "corrected" his errors and returned nearly $300,000 in travel expenses.

"This is the type of cleanup I would expect to see after a history of gross violations of nonprofit law," says a legal expert who argues that LaPierre is "putting himself on the line" and "trying to get in someone's good graces."

The tax filing didn't come out of nowhere.

Last year, at a combative NRA annual meeting, board members and longtime staffers walked out amid claims that LaPierre and others had misused the nonprofit's dollars.

Then earlier this year, New York Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit accusing the NRA of egregious financial abuses and saying it should be dissolved.

The tax filing also accuses two departed officers, former board president Oliver North and former chief lobbyist Chris Cox, of enriching themselves at the NRA's expense.

Meanwhile, NRA revenue is falling, legal costs and top executive salaries are rising, and the Wall Street Journal reported last month that the NRA is investigating LaPierre for possible criminal tax fraud.

This is the exact reason I didn't renew my membership a few years ago.

Joe

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Here's a link to the story

This is the reason I didn't renew my membership several years ago.

Joe

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

+1

I cannot stand the NRA head honchos they are a bunch of scumbags.

RLTW

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

OK, the NRA has its issues, but best wait and see the findings from the lawsuit. I am not defending them.

Seen a number of articles proclaiming fraud, waste and abuse but the sources are NYT, Wall St J, WaPo and several other

2A hating publications. Main stream media is FAR more corrupt than the NRA on any Sunday. Lies and spreading leftist propaganda a way of life for these people.

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

After years of Gimme, Gimme, Gimme and Compromise, Compromise, Compromise!

When Harlon Carter ran for XVP they congratulated him on his win in the same issue of AR that our ballots came in. Something smelled.

Never buy a lifetime membership in any organization - you can never quit!

Wayne LaPierre is a lawyer from Roanoke and I don't recall hearing anything good about him, ever.

Gun owners have been scammed. I firmly believe NRA compromises are the reason we are on the brink of losing the 2A today.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I'm with chiefr, The news organizations spouting this story have one mission. It is time to hear the rest of the story minus their bias.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

bustedknee posted:

"I firmly believe NRA compromises are the reason we are on the brink of losing the 2A today."

Of course, I got a belly full of the NRA when they passed the 1994 crime bill.

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

More truths about the NRA are coming to light.

Hmmmmm.....the 800lb. gorilla ain't what some have been spoon-fed to believe, all these years.

Some woke up, more will wake up.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly what the Govt. wants...to eliminate the NRA. Not as much opposition and the Govt. will have a hay day. Let's pray the Jan 5 Georgia senate rerun will not let the dems in control of both house and senate.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

The NRA is part of the swamp, S-F, a shell company for the center-left that continually gives enough to stay relevant in the DC. The leftists and radical leftists fully understand that the NRA works with them to craft legislated access to firearms, which over the past 90-odd years has firmly granted governments the power to license people and to register, regulate and restrict firearms.

The death of the NRA may be a short-term loss for some legislated access, but long term it will be a large plus for the 2nd Amendment.

May it die soon, though it would be fun to watch Wayne twist in the wind for a while.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

The GOA and others will follow. Govt wants no opposition. Their game plan is set. Contol of firearms. They will name as they have in the past ...Identify weapons whom will be illegal or have to be registered with BATF. They want approx 30% out of the publics hands. How? When the Feds do their extensive background checks.. well some will lose their weapons on misdemeanor charges or less, word of mouth the party has done something in their past. The exact way the Feds check for Class 3 weapons. Question is are the parties submitting paperwork for Ar.s AK etc. keeping their weapon until the process is thru or taking them to FFL's to hold?? FFL have to keep records for 20 yrs.. well that is a heck of a lot of firearms to check. Hopefully the senate seats in Georgia will avoid all the nonsense.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭

Board member Lt. Colonel Oliver North caught onto this real fast didn't he....but people didn't want to hear such.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

The NRA needs an enema and needs it badly.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

I have never and will never give a dime to these compromising sell-outs, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. That said, anyone with 7 functioning brain cells has been able to see the excesses of La Perrier over the past decade. If people wish to continue to give money to a back-stabbing, swamp dwelling organization that has never understood the meaning of the 2nd Amendment, that would be their choice. I fully support the elimination of their tax-exempt status, however, as there is no reason actual supporters of the Constitution should be forced to underwrite this anti-American group.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

"But the filing also says LaPierre has "corrected" his errors and returned nearly $300,000 in travel expenses.

End Quote

$300,000???? WHAT A JOKE

How about the MILLIONS he/they have.........STOLEN over the years?

From members disillusioned about the real actions of the NRA and officers.

Members who were lead to believe that these THIEVES actually cared about fighting for their 2nd amendment rights.

House of cards for all organizations .