In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser Question Pt2 now with pictures

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in Ask the Experts

There are no numbers or markings visible on the rifle other then the floor plate with the #'s 908 in two spots and the letter C above one of them.

Picture 3 shows the internal mag with a 308 round inserted for comparison.

I've never performed a chamber cast and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Thanks in advance.

I can say with 100 % certainty that it is under 30 caliber.

Comments

• Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Looks like a Spanish M95 action,(or maybe 93 action) its been sporterized, Probably 7mm Mauser caliber unless converted.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Below link is from one of our members. Lot of good information.

The photo of your bolt, appears to show that it has a safety lug on the bolt body. This would make it a post 1898 variation, IMHO. Wouldn't be one of the early Spanish Mausers. Although they did make the lugged bolt model. After the end of the Spanish Civil War, circa 1940's. I believed they were manufactured in the La Coruna Arsenal.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******

"appears to show that it has a safety lug on the bolt body"..............no safety lug. the action is a 1893 (if it has a 'flat' at the front of the bolt face) or a 1895 if it doesn't. also probably 7x57mm cal.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't see a safety lug. Is the lower area of the front end of the bolt flat or rounded?

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

What Mike said, and the 93's didn't have a thumb groove for stripper clip loading, just like that one.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Have you pulled the stock to see if there is any other markings on the barrel to indicate caliber? If the barrel was stamped with caliber then final indexed for chambering the caliber might be obscured by the stock. It is a nice looking rifle!

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

I've never performed a chamber cast and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Thanks in advance.

The top surfaces of the action and barrel have been 'sanitized', information removed. Stupid in my opinion but during different times, this was a common.

Then you can perform two attempts to establish some information.

1) Take a 7mm bullet and hold it into the muzzle point first. If it stops just before the bullet shank starts you probably have a 7mm caliber of some sort. This is no guarantee of the what the cartridge is though, just the caliber.

2) Remove the barreled action from the stock in order to see if there is any information stamped on any of the bottom surfaces, barrel and action. The flat behind the recoil lug usually will have several as can the barrel.

Without any clues, you have all the guesses available. You have to take the barreled action out of the stock to check for better information. Casting the chamber is really a very simple process and can be handled by first-timers easily. Brownells sells the kits and the kit comes with good directions.

Best.

• Options
    edited February 2021

Picture of the bolt face

Took the stock off and took a picture of the underside. There are no markings on the barrel itself. I took a 284 diameter bullet and it goes in about 1/2 into the front of the barrel as Nononsense suggested. I'm not a fan of Mannlicher stocks but I have to admit this one is really growing on me. And then again I reminded myself how good Kroil smells.

🙂

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******

a m1893 for sure, these were originally chambered in 7x57mm. most military rifles are not marked as to caliber.

• Options

I can officially confirm that it is a 7 x 57, thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.