In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Much Are You Paying For Black Powder

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

I used to buy BP from just one gun shop in my hometown (only place carrying it) for 25 bucks a pound as of about a year ago. They only carried Goex brand in various grain sizes.

When I was shooting in monthly club shoots at a range 45 miles away I was able to buy BP from the club for 15 dollars a pound. They set limits for two pounds max so never did any stocking up on the stuff.

About a month ago, I heard from a buddy that our local place had been out of BP and when they were expecting more the price was going to be going up quite a bit. For the first time I decided to check places online and found a place called Graf & Sons. Ordered 10 pounds (5 cans 2f and 5 cans 3F) and with shipping, Hazmat, and sales tax the cost per pound came in at just a few cents under 25 dollars. I should be set for quite some time! 🙂

How much do you pay in your area of the country?

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

my last pound was $23, but it was an extra, I think I have 2 and half pounds now, I only use it for hunting so that should last me the rest of my life. and I don't know about where you live brooks but here in Wva an individual is only allowed to have 5lbs of black powder per household according to DNR. It is one of those dumb laws that is not enforced but is used if they come looking and want to tack another offense on. not sure but since it is on the books it may also void your home owners insurance in case of fire, and explosion if they knew there was say 10lbs there they may refuse to pay your claim. just throwing that out there for what it is worth, of course 5lbs could be spilled and lost in any "accident".........

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Thank you for your reply hillbillie! This section of our forum gets so little attention, I sometimes forget to come here! And I'm really into BP stuff!

I'm fairly sure keeping 10-20 pounds of BP here in the state of Michigan is allowed but trying to find any info online has been a RAT Maze! I can't get any facts on the subject. I have a few friends that have told me over the years that as long as you follow the basic safety rules regarding storage there are no limits under local laws within IMMIC 25 LBS.

I know going from hearsay is the demise of many a law abiding citizen, but as I said, nothing I can find to give the actual facts!

I hope my prayers for you and your family are getting the Good Lords attention hillbillie. If it is in HIs will, those Blessed grandkids will give you the strength you need and actually extend your and your Mrs. time here above ground. Might sound a bit silly but my father raised 12 kids and had his last when he was 50 years old! He stayed around to see all of us grown, married, and providing grandkids. A pretty good batch of great grandkids too! All the best my friend! Joel

edited May 2021

yeah hardly come over to this forum myself brooks, not sure if it is law officially but the muzzleloading shop here in town told me that few years back, we were talking about a 50lb keg he had and how it would keep forever if kept dry. He was the one who said and individual could only keep 5lbs in own home, though it makes no common sense guess it would make sense in dumb lawmakers eyes.

As for the grandkids go to court monday 24th to makes thing final, so far so good, kids want to be with us and are adjusting well, they do limit my time on here anymore and have cut into my golfing time, but hey family comes first, and it warms my heart to just see them smiling and laughing again, not just sitting staring into their phones for hours on end, though they do wear me out, come bedtime I am exhausted, granddaughter is 11 and loves basketball, my running and jumping days are over but we still try, my cardiologist wants me walking few miles a day and she comes with me on my evening walks if she wants, we walk up to a local Wendy's and get small frosty for the walk back, she is actually opening up and talking about things on our walks, shool, friends ect, thanks for all the prayers and well wishes and I plan on being there for them as long as god will allow,

as for the grandson he is 14 and just a touch autistic, we have a fully finished basement carpet, bathroom, ect, that has become his apartment, we have an old piano down there and he plays it all the time, and is quite good, you can actually tell what song he is playing, he will play for hours at a time, I think it is his "escape" from some of the things that went on, but he is happy, smiling and actually talking and joking with me, he allways shyed away and took to my wife, we spend as much outdoor time as he will put up with in the evenings, planted flowers for grandma, painted an old dresser for him, showed him how to used cordless drill, put handles on the dresser, put out few vegetable plants he likes, he takes to these new experiences like a magnet and is super smart when it comes to schoolwork, as before god willing things will work out ok for all involved.

thanks again Paul

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭

https://mainepowderhouse.com You can check here for current prices. Probably would need to have several people go in together to order enough powder to get free shipping. Best Regards - AQH

• RickARickA Member Posts: 1

I have a problem. I have a 1873 Winchester made for BP, I have bought a lot of different types of 44-40. Should I have them reloaded with BP to insure I do not overload this rifle?

edited June 2021

If you can find Trail Boss, it can be loaded to Black Powder pressures and isn't nearly as messy.... a lot of cowboy action shooters use it instead of black powder

• BpbreloadingBpbreloading Member Posts: 35

I purchase for the club. Case at a time $450 case 25# 18$#.

Cost has gone up from13$ in 7 years. From 325$.