In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ARs vs AKs

JimBobJimBob Member Posts: 4

Have not taken the plunge and bought an AR-15. I qualified with the M-16 in the army many years ago and didn’t like it. It seemed like a piece of junk at the time. I realize today’s ARs may not be the same but I am interested in a semi-automatic tactical rifle. How about AKs?

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭✭

Depends on how and what you intend to use it for. If you regularly fall in a swamp or get caught in sandstorms, get the the AK. If you don't do those things and want to actually hit anything with an accurate rifle at more than 100 yards, get an AR. If you don't like 5.56, then get a 300, 350 or something even bigger. Personally I like getting teeny tiny little groups at the range and hitting prairie dogs waaaay out there so the AR was an easy choice for me. Bob

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

If you're looking for a good AK, Gun Broker forum member Locust Fork has a nice Hungarian AK with a folding stock listed:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901488392

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

If I had time to routinely clean my rifle, had access to spare parts, and in a combat situation devoid of muck, sand, and dirt, an AR would be fine otherwise, Give me an AK.

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

I was support, in Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, '88-'93.

Hand me down, worn out, abused M16 A2's, in the sandbox, isn't a good match.

Gimme an AK.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,399 ***** Forums Admin

AK perfection.......

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I had an AK back in the day (Norinco MAK 90) and I really liked it (wish I still had it). At the moment, I only have ARs and love them. It is a very versatile platform. You can customize and accessorize with ease. To change to many different calibers, all it takes is a lower and an upper receiver change.......i.e. you can have one lower receiver and several different caliber upper receivers. I vote AR.

Not an AK.......but you might get an SKS which is similar and cheaper.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few of both. As it is with any tool, make sure the tool is suitable for the job. I think BobJudy, is exactly correct.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Russian engineers say-Perfection is the enemy of good enough.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭

If you fire enough shots with an AK, you might(?) hit your intended target. If you can hold an AR steady, you only need one shot.

As has been stated MANY times, the AK was designed for use by any operator. The results aren't significantly improved by skill. I have an AK and it's use is reserved for the least skilled shooter in a serious need scenario. An inaccurate rifle fired by an unskilled shooter still has a chance of hitting something now and then.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few AR and just one AK like a dummy I sold off the AK's some supposedly nice ones and current in demand models , to buy a colt AR-15

that was before the basic AR became so inexpensive and any kid that had a building block or leggo set can build one now

I would have never guessed a AK would brig more than a AR-15 but then again I sold off my Ruger Mini 14's and mini 30's for the same reason to buy AR-15

I have decided I am a lousy guesser at which rifle will be in demand 😐️

as posted AK have loose tolerances and will just keep putting bullets down the barrel hitting is a bit different spray and pray comes to mind ( I would guess there is more accurate and close machined ones on the market by now ) my favorite thing AK's have fewer parts especially small parts springs detents gas rings to name a few that launch into space if not super careful ( note buy a lot of springs and detents there cheap and great to have around ask any one who has a AR!% I would guess )

but the AR tend to be more accurate

I worked with many a vet and one ( a machinal engineer ) who was in during the between battles and no funding era ( maybe in the 80's told me they never got to practice and shot almost no 5.56 ammo they had 22 lr conversion rifles and the one they got to use the pin holes were so worn the pins holding the upper and lower kept falling out he would laugh at what he had to train with said it was a joke

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭

sounds about right , that would have been right have Carter was in office

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,369 ******

redhawkk480 Carter was in office 77-81 I know cause he was my CIC and that peanut farmer was worst president ever, at least until more recently...

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

I have carried an AR all over the earth and shot more rounds out of one than most here would believe if I even could guess at a number. The only times I didn't carry one in the 25 years in the Army was for 2 years when I was a Machine gunner and carried an M-60, and for a few months I carried an SR-25(a 7.62 AR type rifle). I was stationed in Panama for 4 years and was out in the Jungle all the time with my AR. I have been in Iraq and Afghanistan with my AR.

I have had a few failures with my AR but almost all were caused by the magazine or when firing blanks. My AR's never failed me. My men carried them and they never failed them either. I have been in swamps, deserts, mountains, arctic, sand and water, you name it. I have had my AR at my side jumping out of airplanes and hitting hard on runways and it still worked.

People that rag on an AR don't know what they are talking about or they don't know how to take care of a weapon.

I cannot tell you how many AK's I have seen jammed up, but its a lot. I have seen at least 3 dead guys with a jammed AK.

AK's are kind of cool and the 7.62x39 is a good round for close in but they are not some kind of magical weapon that never hangs up.

For me I would put my money and life on an AR every time and have.

RLTW

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Forget all that new fangled crap and buy a Mosin Nagant. They never break and will kill seven polar bears with one bullet. They do smell a little funky though.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to argue for an AK when Sam says to go with an AR. It sounds like he's been there, done that, and got the T-shirt with a bullet hole in it for proof!

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

It depends on what your using it for. Im a plinker and I have a few of both. If you have a AR and an AK lying on your tailgate, everyone and I mean everyone will want to shoot the AK. The AR is the more accurate rifle though. If it would bother you that you cant hit a tin can consistently at 100 yds buy the AR.

It is a terrible time to buy an AK right now as they are at record high prices. If you decide to buy an AK do some research, there are good ones and bad ones out there. There are videos on U-tube with Jim Fuller or Mishaco, or AK Operators Union that will show you what to look for. The rule of thumb is that foreign built from a military arsenal is the best choice. Russian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Hungarian and others.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭

If I was going to get an AK it would be a CZ or Romanian underfolder.

I have a SKS, it is fun to shoot and fairly accurate for what it is.

RLTW

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭

You need both.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,341 ******
    edited June 2021

Get a FAL and reach out.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes