In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Adjusting Sights

bearcubbearcub Member Posts: 5 ✭✭

I could use your help. Have an old K 22 S&W revolver. Its shooting high and down to the last elevation setting on the rear sight. Its still 3-4 inches high. What can I do?

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    1. Aim lower (Kidding!)
    2. Move further away (Also kidding!)
    3. Are they factory sights or aftermarket? If they were aftermarket I would consider taking it to a gunsmith and having him take a little metal off the top of the rear sight and also taking a corresponding amount out of the bottom of the notch. That will effectively move the rear sight down and lower your aiming point.

Edit to add;

When was the gun last given a thorough cleaning? Make sure there is no 'gunk' under the rear sight that might be causing it to hang up and restricting it's movement. On another forum I read that these guns were originally set up to fire 1.5" high at 50 yards. Why? Who knows? Just passing on what I read.

Have you had this gun for a while and this is the first time this problem has occurred?

• Options

No these are factory sights. I never had this problem in all my 60 years in shooting.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

Is this a recent to you gun, or it something you had and it used to shoot ok?

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

Before I considered removing metal to lower the rear sight, I'd consider the possibility of simply replacing the front sight with a taller blade. Go with a too-tall blade, then gradually file it down until the POI is exactly where you want it.

• Options

thanks for your comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Not usually an issue with the low recoil of a 22 but slower velocity often results in higher POI.

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭

Ditto what duckhunter said. There are many different brands of ammo and by experimenting with

different brands may solve your issue. Also try both standard and high velocity.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭

Are you saying + 3" or 4" of point of aim or from a 6 o'clock hold?

• Options
    bwctbwct Member Posts: 44 ✭✭

Install a shorter rear sight blade. I have had to do this to a couple of S&W revolvers.

This discussion has been closed.