In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

USAA Insurance

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Boy! They seem to be spending some big bucks in advertising of late! TV commercials and internet adds galore.

I started to check in with them about a year ago to seeing if their rates were much lower than my Allstate set ups. Before I finished all the online hoops they were putting me through I started reading some of the comments from USAA members. There were a bunch of negative remarks and that ended my inquiry.

Do any GB veterans here have and like this company?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

I've been with them a short while - over 50 years. Both my daughters are eligible through me, and both use USAA. In my experience, rates are better than competitive, service is exemplary, and they treat you fairly on claims.

I recently dinged the rear hatch on my Highlander, The body shop asked me what my insurance company was, and when I said USAA, they just smiled and said, "No problem." I asked if were true for many companies, and the lady said, "Some are horrible to deal with, some are just okay, and then there's USAA, which is great."

If you've been with them long enough, you get an annual members' bonus PLUS a longevity bonus, which together takes about a third off my premium.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Rocky, do they also do home owners policies? Most companies give discounts for combined auto & home insurance. I may not be around long enough to get to the longevity bonus. But only God knows about that. I was with another company ( Liberty Mutual) for 35 years without ever having a claim. When my youngest son started driving, he had 2 small fender benders without claims but he got ticketed and the company cancelled me.

I switched to Allstate about 6 years ago and they were cheaper than Liberty but every 6 months they keep raising my rates for no reason. I have never found a company that gives customer loyalty any favors.

Thank you Rocky for sharing your experience with USAA! Joel

• TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

+1 on USAA.

They do give a bundled discount on car/homeowners insurance. I’ve been with them around 50 years after switching from State Farm. When the remnants of hurricane Ivan hit the Ohio valley you couldn’t get an adjuster from other companies for weeks. USAA had one here within 24 hours. Their rates are, if not better, very competitive.

They also pay out a rebate every year based on profits. It’s usually not much, $30 or so, but it’s the thought and effort. You can’t go wrong with them

• mi2600mi2600 Member Posts: 2

I've been with them since 1970 and have my home and main vehicles covered by them. I think I have filed one or two claims. They always responded and paid without any problems. My daughter who worked in a State Farm office signed up with them, which says something about their responsiveness and quality.

The minuses: They are a pain to try and contact for help. Sometime in the past they added a banking function. Now you have to jump threw hoops to talk to anyone. I was buying a new vehicle from a dealer about 80 miles from home and just wanted to add the new car. They wouldn't even accept the new vehicle because I didn't have my pin/password. It wasn't like I wanted to borrow money or something. It's gotten so bad recently that I cringe when I have contact them! Grrr.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I have been with USAA since 1963. I have had auto accident and homeowner claims over the years and have always been satisfied with the dollar amount and efficiency of the settlement. Some years ago they were rated number two in the country for customer satisfaction. I don't remember who was number one. They have expanded over the years but I still find their customer service outstanding. Occasionally I would get a auto policy quote from another company; nobody ever beat them. I stopped searching. They also offer banking and financial services that is convenient for active duty military. Originally they insured officers only but have expanded to include enlisted and family members. I highly recommend them.

• The97fordThe97ford Member Posts: 5

They're my main bank and I have all my insurance through them. Car, home, life, valuable personal property (VPP).

I find their app pretty useful, their website is fine. I was able to file one homeowners claim via their remote setup. I found needing a certified check with like 3 days notice mailed to me from Texas to close on a house a pain, so I used a TD Bank account for that since they have brick and mortars locations.

I've always been able to handle an issue with them by phone or chat, even during the corona.

Does anyone insure their gun collection via USAA like VPP, or go with a different corp altogether?

• ForthriteForthrite Member Posts: 1

April 9 2021...I recently applied for an auto loan and had an issue on the app i called USAA customer service a woman "Teresa" walked me thru my app made corrections and resubmitted she was extremely knowledgeable patient and polite a five star experience. USAA your the best!!

• cromaccromac Member Posts: 6

I was with them for years and was always was pleased with the service until they misplaced a large part of my IRA.....It took a vice president to get it sorted out. I now use a local bank and insurance agent and have been very pleased with the service.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭

They advertise they are the best for vets and they are horrible. Have used them before and got rid of them.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭

looked into them for insurance for my UTV, come to find out they won't insure utv's or atv's in WVa for some reason.............. never looked any further

• CJ7nvrstkCJ7nvrstk Member Posts: 678 ✭✭

I have them for home and vehicles. We’ve had claims on both and they’ve been great to us.

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭

10 years ago I would have recommended them without hesitation, but they've changed (for the worse) as they've grown. Rates are competitive but can be beat if you shop around. Biggest concern for me is inept service when making a claim...the whole reason I have insurance! I still use them...mostly because I'm so bundled it'd be a real pain to switch.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • epagsepags Member Posts: 3

I am new to GB Forum so this is my first post. 23 years Air Force + 20 years as Retired Activities Office rep with the USN (go figure). Have had USAA for Auto & Home since 1964 (Yep, that old). Two daughters and one grandson all have shifted to USAA when they finally could do the math and see how reasonable USAA is.

The family has had several claims over the years and all were resolved quickly and fairly.

Observation: Ignore the app and make a phone call for fast and hands on service. (That might be my age talking but it is true)