In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are gun auctions on Gunbroker Valid if they have no reserves

Gunbroker will not back me up in the auction I won https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913088127. The seller refuses to sell the item that is legal in the State of Maryland.

What do other members think of this.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

My understanding of Maryland law is that shotguns with folding/retractable stocks and revolving cylinders are classified as assault weapons. That shotgun appears to have as retractable stock. In any case, Gun Broker won't get involved because GB cannot possibly know the firearms laws in every state, district, or territory. If you wish to take legal action against the dealer that's up to you, but what are your actual damages, other than not spending $255.00?

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

What has you question have to do with no reserve?

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******

from the discription........."If it is illegal in your jurisdiction please don’t bid.".......

• Options

Word of advice.

Read all auction descriptions and understand them, look over all pictures thoroughly, and ask reasonable questions if you have any. Get permission from the ruling class in the family, grins.

Next repeat all the first items then make you bidding decisions.

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Responses suggest that the question isn't really about reserves.

That said, just FYI, I never list with reserves (a waste of time!) and have sold several handguns, long arms, and assorted items with no reserve. No problem.

• Options
    edited November 2021

The OP mentioned no reserve in first post, just in the title.

Humm, dodging a bullet maybe.

• Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

I've never fully dove into Maryland gun laws as I'd like to keep the last few brain cells I have but from my understand I can clearly see that this weapon will be in all likelihood illegal in your state. Now technically, dealers in other states can sell guns in person to people whom are not residents of their states but ONLY if the laws of BOTH states allow you to own the weapon. There are more stipulations but for the purposes of this explanation, I won't dive into them as you don't even meet the first requirement.

Technically speaking, this dealer could easily have taken your money and shipped your weapon to the dealer since all dealers are exempt from all state laws for the possession of prohibited weapons in our respective states, but the dealer simply would not have done the paperwork for it since it is illegal for him to transfer it to you. So instead of being out the money, he simply refused to sell you the weapon and for his troubles you offered him a felony and left him a negative review.

As a federally licensed dealer and manufacturer I speak for all of us when I say you're the type of customer we all dread when we see you win our auctions.

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Maybe relevant , maybe not.

Item listed with min. bid of 1 cent, and no reserve. Usually done if seller is confident in significant bidding to follow.

Otherwise, my understanding, person lists SAA , 1 cent min. bid, no preserve, only one bid, someone buys themselves a nice single action Colt for a penny.

Don't think anyone would be dumb enough to risk it, but I refuse to play the penny bid with hidden reserve game.

What a gimmick!