In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A Fight Over the Right to Repair?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Can you read between the lines here? Governments and corporations acting together to errr... control the sheple better as we moved in the digital c/age?

I think-the Biden administration just passed a mandate that all Auto's have a kill switch installed soon in new production runs.

serf

https://www.wired.com/story/fight-right-repair-cars-turns-ugly/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Subaru disabled the telematics system and associated features on new cars registered in Massachusetts last year as part of a spat over a right-to-repair ballot measure approved, overwhelmingly, by the state’s voters in 2020. The measure, which has been held up in the courts, required automakers to give car owners and independent mechanics more access to data about the car’s internal systems.

But the “open data platform” envisioned by the law doesn’t exist yet, and automakers have filed suit to prevent the initiative from taking effect. So first Subaru and then Kia turned off their telematics systems on their newest cars in Massachusetts, irking drivers like the Ferrellis. “This was not to comply with the law—compliance with the law at this time is impossible—but rather to avoid violating it,” Dominick Infante, a spokesperson for Subaru, wrote in a statement. Kia did not respond to a request for comment.

Comments

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I recall that farmers have been battling John Deer for years for some of the same reasons. I think that Deer claims something along the lines; Just because you own that tractor doesn't mean you have the right to work on it.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Yep you are right and one day the government will out law private ownership of just about everything (it's called equity) remember there is no money in The Star Trek series.

A kill switch if you are a impaired diver is about all I would care to be seen enacted. But it will be for everything including from the law.

serf

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that always irked me personally was if you want to do your own maintenance on you vehicle and need schematics and locations of sensors etc, vehicle manufactures will not sell you one or will charge you an exorbitant price like 1K for one.

I am talking about the books that have schematics for integrated circuitry and wire color codes or numbers and engine blueprints so you can do your own machining. This is what dealers have. Some are E files.

"Right to Repair Laws" are laws forcing manufacturers such as GM and Ford to offer proprietary maintenance information to be passed to non factory auto repair centers and directly to consumers who want to do their own maintenance, meaning you dont have to take it to the dealer and pay their exorbitant prices: Competition.

I

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭

many years ago I do mean many

a social studies teacher gave us kids a lot to think about he said way back then ther will be two classes of people the poor and th etruly rich middle class will be totaly gone

also there would came a day when autos hoods sealed( and so on ) or any mechanical item for that matter would be sold with no way to access any thing with out going to the manufacture for any repairs or Maintenace

I think of him from time to time and back then thought ya sure what ever .. but he was spot on that was 50 + years ago

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭

I will not own a vehicle or piece of machinery that I can't wrench on. This is just ONE of the reasons our newest tractor is 30 years old and our newest farm vehicle is 2001. Son's work vehicle is 2020 but that's the choice of his employer.