In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

These shortages don't make sense.

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

Bags of salad mix here locally, hard to find but you can find all the lettuce, carrots and cabbage you could possibly want. Cream cheese is hard to come by but there is so much milk the price was dropping. Biscuits hard to find, but all the flour you could ever want to make biscuits with.

I understand some shortages. Ammo and loading supplies is self evident. It is being purchased faster than it can be made. But salad mix, cream cheese and biscuits?? Illogical to the extreme.

Dozens more I didn't mention.

So what is the next hard to get items??

Comments

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Cyberattacks were responsible for cream cheese shortage. The manufacturer of biscuit cans is shut down.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

my wife and I use to buy the bags of salad mix but it got to be a monthly thing local news calling out recall do not eat throw it away of course two weeks after that it was sold and every one had eaten suspect date range product . so we gave up on prepackaged salad mixes

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I found the opposite at Publix market: no heads of lettuce, but plenty of bagged salad mix, which is great for salads, but not so good for sandwiches.

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

No saltine crackers for weeks at our local Wallyworld.....they finally had some this trip. The Checkout gal got all excited and said she had many complaints about the lack of them on the shelves..

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭

Get used to it guys. I don't see this improving for quite a while.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Reasons for shortages: Take your pick:

a) Biden

b) Nasty Pelosi

c) Chuck Schumer

d) All of the Above

• sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭

I'm struggling with the lumber shortage. If you live or work anywhere near railroad tracks, take a look at the number of center beam flatcars loaded with lumber. I see many 100 car freight trains traveling up and down the I-5 corridor with 75% lumber on open flatcars. Who knows what's in the boxcars, but certainly some of them contain lumber products as well. My work takes me in close proximity to several lumber mills, and some have so much sawn lumber on site, they're stacking it in the weeds. They have saw logs stacked 20-25 ft. high as well. Building doesn't seem to have ground to a halt, so it might be a simple supply and demand issue. I just feel like I'm seeing as much supply as ever. Starting to look more like a price gouging issue.

Arrivederci gigi
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

It is all because of our current way of doing business. It used to be many companies were what they called vertically integrated. And many were small regional companies.

Which meant the biscuit company made the cans and then filled the cans with biscuits they made.

Now every company specializes in one item like making just cans or biscuits. So now the shut of the can company shuts down the biscuit company.

Throw into that mix the problems of trucking items from one place to another and you get shortages.

• firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Shortages here seem to be more store specific. What we cannot find at Meijer we can usually get at a local chain called Shop-N-Save, or at Aldis. It's no longer one stop shopping and one can't be brand name fussy but it works out. As for ammo, well, I have plenty of .22 and as for the rest I just "roll my own" Plenty of primers, powder and bullets to last a decade or so. If they haven't figured it out by then I guess they never will.

P.S. I try to avoid our WalMart. Just don't like it.

• pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭

Which meant the biscuit company made the cans and then filled the cans with biscuits they made.

When I first got out of the service in 73, I went to work for Coor's in Golden, they had their own container division which made their cans as well as a ceramics division which made ashtrays, glasses, etc. These all had their own logo on them. They had their own locomotives for logistics around the site as well as their own refrigerated truck fleet for moving product to market. Quite the operation.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

You failed to mention the cost of doing business has gone through the roof as a reason of high prices, inventory, labors wages, insurance benefits and liability insurance, maintenance of equipment, transportation, electricity, taxes etc. ect. Until your the one responsible for signing the checks it's hard for many to understand the cost of doing business and why prices are upward bound. Price gouging.....I don't think so.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

walmart had 3 flats of cat meat i bought it all,, my cats will have eats😺

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

walmart had 3 flats of cat meat i bought it all,,

That's some special stuff??????

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭

Kroger cheese and peanut butter crackers.

Have not even had a place for them on the shelves for months.

hit and miss at local Walmart's when it comes to cat food more misses over the last 6 months or so I have walked up to many other customers just staring at the empty shelfs like they could wish it back in

about the same time they were running out all the time I started buying it amazon shop and get same prices as wally world with free shipping local PO does not like lifting the can cat food LOL but he is 72 yrs young '

I still one back order due in March I ordered back in Dec with about 5 more cases

if you go that route ( amazon ) watch prices some are 20/ 23 dollars for 40 packs same page some sellrs wanting 40 to 50.00 for same stuff I avoid any thing tha'ts not in line with the Walmart prices

my oldest son also get some from sams club delivered in 60 can packs at one time we had 300+ cans stocked up and several 20 to 30 pound bags of dry cat food . but we have about a dozen cats + we take care of cat food goes fast . ☹️

as far as lumber I have to rebuild a garage I have been putting off . so I have been holding off due to prices at one time 2x4x8 was over 10.00 crazy last I looked still over 5.00 I have not checked for about 6 weeks but looks like I will have to just grin and buy it

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

It does not matter if it is about ammo, reloading supplies, toilet paper - or cat food. I will say this once again: The problem is with people who say "Buy all they have" because somebody ahead of you will do exactly that.

The cause of empty shelves at the consumer level is the consumer.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Agree mostly RR but I went to by a pair of Red Wing boots, the ones I wear uninsulated, fit right out of the box, and best arch support. And hold on, made in the USA.

Big store had only about six different pair but hundreds of other brands. I asked why no Red Wings, you quit stocking them?

Nope, Red Wing got hacked some time ago and may never recover.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

It's time for a victory garden! But then if it's in the city I would suspect you will need security 24/7!

serf

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭

You are sadly correct, Butchdog. Far too many companies have gone bust due to stupid COVID rules, supply issues, malicious banking, riots, and more.

But even companies that are producing at full capacity cannot make up for somebody who buys 500 widgets and thus deprives the next 100 people who direly need five.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Yep. Talking to folks they say there were only seven left so I bought all of them. Did you need seven? If everyone is tripling/quadrupling buying, well guess what dip stick, YOU caused the shortage. The great TP shortage of 2020 is one prime example.

Everyone panicked thinking they would be locked in their homes for months without a means to clean their bums. They bought a year's supply and forced the issue. I warned everyone over a decade ago that TP would be the major bartering item so I'm always prepared. Lol.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

just makes good sense to me but I buy a lot on line saves wasting gas on trips into town no matter what I buy bulk is just the best option for me

buying it all to resell is a whole different story

besides I bet every one on here fills your gas tank when you get gas why not only get 5 gallons and run it out before buying another 5 gallons that way more gas would be in the stock pile creating a surplus and push prices down ( yes I know but just a bad example ) think of the millions and millions of gas sitting in cars trucks tractors gas cans in personal vehicles and sheds around this country I would wager we have well over a 100 gallons in vehicles and gas cans easy

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

I have also been buying non-perishables in bulk online for about 4-5 years (started with TP because it takes up too much room in cart/cab of truck when buying local) Kinda glad I had a case or two when the whole shortages started.

It makes sense to buy in bulk when you can especially on a mostly fixed income, but buying things you don't need or plan to use for your family with thoughts of profiting because of shortages is wrong imho.

On the other hand, we are supposed to be in a free country so trying to make a profit is also kinda the American way...

For me I have used the online shopping more and more and like not having to go see the empty shelves, although been seeing more "out of stock" on the websites lately...

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭

There wasn't a toilet paper shortage until the media announced that there was going to be one. Then the hoarding started.

Joe