In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Playing with the 870

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Installed an extension tube on the 870 and took it out to make sure it worked and fed right 18" open choke. I do believe this could be used as a bird gun up to around 40 yd. I patterned some estate 1.25 oz 8's and it done fairly well. At 35 yd it really saturated. Tried a remington 1 oz slug at 60yd and it was about 3" below point of hold. Not too bad for a house gun. Shot an old board at 20' and the 8's left an indentation about 9" across .

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Did you have to drill out the "nubs" to get the tube on or is it an older model ? The 870 is a fine shotgun, I enjoy shooting mine from time to time.

• Options

Took the dremel and ground them out

• Options
    edited February 2022

Done the 2 rd extension. which will hold 7 total with one in chamber. You can load a 3" in chamber and squeeze 1 3" in the magazine with 6 2 3/4in the mag.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

My son and I both shoot 870 special fields, Mine is a 12 and his a 20 gauge.

I am here to tell you I am not the best shot but if it flies it dies and if it is brown it is down.

My son is even better.

870 may be one of the best inventions of all time along with the Garand.

• Options
    edited February 2022

I remember when they added those to appease some part of the ban back in the 90's. Do the newer ones still have them ?

• Options

I believe some of the new ones are factory extension. Here is a rare one from the past

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924019134

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,362 ******

Wow, too rich for me S-F, I want an 870 but not that much...

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I have a few 870' s I do like them the nubs were put in I think as part of the retionn for the follower and cap they changed its design along the line some where the end cap no longer retained the spring as in the older guns I added extensions and riot barrels to two but dld not drill or grind the nubs I bought steel dowl section just a 8 or 10 inch long scrap piece off ebay and just used it to press by driving into the Magazine tube forced the nubs back out to same diameter as the rest of the tube works great and did not to add any more holes

That was my back yard redneck solution after thinking about it

• Options
    edited February 2022

That sure is pretty !! But not that pretty .. I have my Grandpa's Wingmaster Circa 1950. That is good enough for me !

• Options

the old military issued ones are big collector items and the " bayonet barrel clamp " is crazy price for a original one

I would like to have one but too much $$ . I am content with one of mine I have a police folding stock extended magazine tube and 20" barrel ( I had a 18 1/2" factory barrel on it but prices went crazy for them so I sold mine and bought a couple 20" barrels the other 2" not that big a deal for me ( well on my shotgun ) the otheres I have the police walnut stock and a pistol grip stock with 20" barrels

the LEO only folding stocks I had several of them but the same prices went crazy so I sold mine except one I kept

I still have a couple with the long barrels also wingmasters and the special purpose / express versions I just always had a attraction to 870's

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

I prefer the Ithaca 37, but that's just me.

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

Depends on the bird. No plug needed for pheasants in SD. Or turkey. Might be some others like crows that don't need a plug.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited February 2022

First gun I ever bought myself was an Ithaca 37....still have it and hunt with it..

• Options

will agree the model 37's I have had were good shotguns but had to part with them when funds ran low . I was going to replace at least one but never got around to it and now the prices are like most are up there

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Had my 870 12ga. now 48 years, never once failed me. Greatest shotgun ever built in my opinion. As for pump actions go.

Just a bit of trivia of the 48 years I have had this gun, hammer spring has always been left cocked, and it’s still good to this day.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

I would argue the model 12 may be best, mine is a lot smoother action than my 870, and is twice as old!!!!!!!

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

I won’t argue, model 12 does have a smooth action, and is rugged and dependable. Shot one before, just never owned one, but have friends that like them as well. In away kind of like comparing Harleys to Indians.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭

Have a new 870 express in the gun safe. Owned it for three years but have yet to shoot it . Need to break it out one day soon .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

Agree on the Winchester model 12, smooth as silk and the action will most always slide open on it's own if you hold the barrel up and push the slide release. Have bought a few for friends but have never owned one. I do have it's predecessor, a model 97 in mint condition. Slick as can be also.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭

Have both & prefer the Winchester. The 870 is good but we had jams due to officers not working the action hard enough.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

"I prefer the Ithaca 37, but that's just me."

The primary downfall of the 37 as a defense gun is the fact you can't go directly to the chamber like you can with a side ejecting design(870/Mossberg 500/Win 1200). I bought my first 870 in 1971(still have it BTW) but have relegated it to turkey hunting as I developed a preference for SxS for bird hunting. Don't do either anymore due to severely damaged shoulder which can't tolerate much recoil.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

2nd on the mod 12. Quality wise the mod 12 is a much better gun. All machined steel and will last several lifetimes. What the 870 has going for it is that is an easily modified weapon. It can be relatively cheap to repair or to change its configuration with inexpensive easy to obtain parts. It is kind of the 10/22 of shotguns. I have a couple, but even my 870 Competition doesn't have the solid feel of a Mod 12. Bob

• Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

The 870 is a great gun.

The LE ones with the folding coat hanger for a stock were BRUTAL with slugs.

The little light weight 20 gauge is a joy for chasing rabbits.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Back when we had to go to steel shot I bought an 870. My Mod. 12 in 3" mag. was a special gun to me. Probably shot over 1,000 ducks with it. No problem with the 870 however. Locust Fork sold it for me along with a Mod. 42. I keep the Mod.12, 20 ga. however. That was why dove gun.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I came late to the 870. I got one about 15 years ago; a beautiful blued steel & walnut w/ vent rib IC. Found a non VR barrel with Cutts comp at a gun show. I should hunt with it more. I turned 15 in the fall of 1952 and earned a new Ithaca 37. The game here was pheasant that we hunted mostly in the corn fields w/o a dog so I learned to jump shoot. Used the 37 for several years and then switched to a riot barreled Win. 97 because I was faster with it. When I began hunting with my dogs, I went with a 20 ga. SKB double. The pheasants are gone here now as are my dogs so I do a little rabbit hunting now and then with whatever gun suits my fancy at the time. I think the last gun I shot a rabbit with was a Rem. 58.

Noticing the post of a slide retracting by its own weight, does anybody remember the Sears model 20? There's one of those, too, in my safe and it will do that every time. I don't use that one much since I do not seem to be able to get used to the safety in the front of the trigger guard.

Good hunting, gentlemen!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭

I went to the odd parts box & pulled this out. It was part of an estate from the owner of a police supply business. Guess it should be worth something or I'll put it on one of the 870s.

• Options

I am left handed....the Ithaca does not bounce ejected shells into my face !!!! Or across my view... Then again neither does an 870...but older Mossbergs never worked for me...

• Options

From what I have seen yes it would be worth selling on the auctions

I don't see a bayonet lug like the military versions which are crazy high in price but if was a factory part lot of collectors would like to have it .I am using my phone at not the best at doing it or looking up any thing while on here at it I suggest doing a internet search on it to see if aftermarket or a Remington issued police or tactical add on