In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? for veterans concerning retirement, SS, and medicare

loknlodeloknlode Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited March 2022 in US Military Veteran Forum

I'm about to turn 65 and I am under VA care. Why would I want to apply for medicare at $170 a month? any vets here have or use both? Why? what are the extra benefits to having both? also there is a $2500 yearly deductible with medicare. It's going to be hard to afford mc on ss alone.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure details on VA care, but it likely works similarly to how Tricare works with Medicare. We have the Tricare/Medicare setup for my wife. Medicare pays first, and Tricare picks up the rest. Result for us is that there is zero impact to us from deductibles on either one. She can go to any doctors she wants that take Medicare/Tricare, with no referrals needed or anything like that. Between the two plans, we have never once ever seen a bill for any of her medical care, and we have had a lot of major stuff (transplant, surgeries galore, etc.).

The take-away here is….. check and see how they pay/work together. Having both may give you some desirable advantages, either financially or in flexibility related to how/where you get services.

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest that you repost this on the veterans forum. There is a lot of information already there plus the members will help you get started. Signing up for medicare is mandatory and will be deducted from your monthly payment. There is a heavy penalty if you don't sign up for part D, perscription drugs. Unless you have a similar plan from the V.A. You will be evaluated by the V.A. and given a classification from 1 to 8. This will determine what you qualify for. So, by all means, sign up at the V.A. and see what you are eligible for. Semper Fi

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

medicare will not pay anything towars VA deductibles, I was advised to drop the medicare and rely solely on VA. Lady at the VA told me the only thing I would lose was ambulance reimbursement as VA didn't pay for that and medicare would. Ask your local VA customer representative next time you are in the VA facility.