In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun safety act

BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in Politics

It actually looks like there is some common sense in the act, like increasing school security. No gun bans and no capacity limits, but perhaps that'll be in the next legislation. I am not sure what the ban on straw purchases accomplishes. Ever since the FFL background check became mandatory straw purchases have been illegal. I guess we will have to wait until it passes before we will know how it actually effects us. Kind of like Pelosi when she said you'll find out what is in Obamacare only after it passes. Bob

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******

The red flag laws are about the most concerning thing they could pass. This is horrible beyond words.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

The red flag laws are the ringers here.If your doctor reports that your blood test come back postive for illegal drugs then you have a mental defect problem and will be stripped of your gun rights. Hell if you are caught with open alcohol container with a firearm then bingo another infraction and you can hire a lawyer and wait two years and spend 10,000 dollars to get the all clear verdict and by then your gun are gone anyway or the storage costs are 5000 dollars plus other court cost to regain possession of them.

serf

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2021/06/12/do-you-use-drugs-if-you-own-a-gun-the-feds-could-put-you-in-prison-which-worries-cannabis-advocates/

Specifically, the government is using a law that makes it a crime for “unlawful users” of drugs to have guns or ammunition. A previous drug conviction is not necessary, just ample evidence of ongoing drug use such as recent arrests, positive drug screens or an admission of drug use to police. One need not have had any previous run-ins with the law; even social media photos of someone using marijuana or other drugs will suffice.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Unfortunately until the Feds recognize marijuana having some medical benefits it can be a hard choice for patients regarding gun ownership. For the ones using it at the present time recreationally, their choice is simple - guns or pot. In other words they have to act like an adult and make a responsible decision. Since I foresee the changing of the federal laws in the near future, this will probably not be much of a worry for very long. Both dems and republicans are poised to bribe their voters by making pot legal.

I don't use any mind altering pharmaceuticals and drink maybe 3 beers a month so I have never understood the attraction, but hey - to each his own. Bob

• Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the stat's are for accidents while under the influence of marijuana? What would the legal limit be for someone to be intoxicated? How would they field test? While I know some will disagree I still say it's a gateway drug. Todays maryjane is much more powerful and when one no longer enjoys the same effects they previously had they generally move on to something else, something stronger.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

According to a June 15 write up by Alan Fram (AP) in the Baltimore Sun:

"Currently, dealers considered in the "business" of selling guns are required to get federal firearms licenses. Such sellers must conduct background checks. Bargainers [Senators] want to cover more people who, while not running a formal business, occasionally sell weapons."

That sounds to me like "universal background check". Give your adult child one of your guns without written permission from the government, you may just get your door broken down at 3:00 am by the police. Keep your eyes open for these weasels in the Senate.

Neal

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Do not be fooled. There is no common sense. The fact that the GOP has signed onto the statement that they did not include magazine capacity bans or the disenfranchisement of 18 year old citizens signals that they believe they have the power to do so.

Quisling Republicans will be our demise. We already know the evil of the left.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

John Cornyn certainly fits the bill, even admitted it to John Kennedy. Anymore now we simply have the illusion of "choice" and far too few see that both parties are 2 sides of the same coin.

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

The Liability act to force secured storage and insurance coverage for use is the big one that is coming. They will need to inspect your premises for enforcement. Sadly no one is seeing it yet other than the Democrats that is!

serf