In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serious questions raise about the future of the all-volunteer forces

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Now With equal rights now being enforced in The New progressive government military,well they can't get any recruits to volunteer especially women with new family additions like raising children. i.e. child care.

serf

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/mil-money/2022/07/18/survey-raises-serious-questions-about-the-future-of-the-all-volunteer-force/

The results of a new survey of military and veterans and spouses — including details on financial difficulties — raise concerns about the future of the military, said the executive director of the organization that conducted the survey.

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

We saw the same thing under Carter, Biden is no different and they are both from the party that places entitlements and open borders over our nations defense: DEMOCRAT

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

The problem is worse now though. When Carter was President the economy was so bad the military had no problem getting good people to volunteer.

Now with all of the government giveaways and making 20 bucks an hour at McDonalds no time new wants to join.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

There is a way of fixing this mess with the military I believe. Send out some letters to people that says, Greetings from the president of the United State. You have been chosen to serve your country in the arm forces of the United States of America. Report for induction on November 11. 1969 at 2:00am at the train station for transportation to the induction center in Chicago to be processed. Signed: Richard M. Nixon.

Of course dates, destinations and signatures are subject to change.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

Now with Co-Ed showers. That'll be the new recruitment poster.

Or a dude goes to medical stating he's going to labor. 20 minuets later he drop a poop-tuplet. And if he flushes them will he be going to the stockade for murder?

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I endured four years under the peanut farmer and there is one notable difference. Under the peanut farmer everyone was receiving draft wages. This meant those below the rank of E-5 were making minimum wage or less. Sure they had allowance for rations and quarters but they were limited and fixed and not based on the exact area you were stationed. Rations and quarters rarely helped if you were stationed in high rent areas and there was never enough base housing.

Also consider Nixon handed the peanut farmer an "All Volunteer Force" when Nixon ended the draft. All the service four stars begged the DEMOCRAT congress to raise military pay or bring back the draft because they did not have the manpower to perform their mission. Pleas fell on the deaf ears of DEMOCRATs who favored entitlements more than defense.

IMHO Biden had done considerable damage to our nations economy, but is not even close to Carter. With 2 more years and a DEMOCRAT congress, Biden has the potential to best the Georgia peanut farmer. This is why the congressional elections in November are so important. These DEMOCRATs need to be stopped.

Agree that Biden has wreaked the economy. But we are not yet where we with the Peanut farmer. My first mortgage was at 14% and my FIL was paying 22% on his line of credit for his business.

At least there are still some good people in the Service. However I really feel like an old fart when the Capt. looks like a teenager to me.

Go the 20 min. mark where the real flying takes place.

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

I graduated from high school in 1978, smack in the middle of the Carter years. Opportunities were bleak- I was working part time in a gun store, but how can guns become a career?

I tried to enlist in the Coast Guard, but was told that the CG was so over subscribed that they were turning down recruits with AA degrees. So, back to the gun shop, which of course turned out fine in the end.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

I have a relative in the National Guard and his comments about new recruits are extremely GRIM. No initiative, no knowledge of common tasks, no real physical capabilities beyond playing games on their phone, unable to listen to instruction, and require constant supervision.

• wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭

It was bound to happen eventually. When I first took the ASVAB it was written on a 12th grade level. After a short stint as a civilian, I reenlisted and took it again and it was still at a 12th grade level. By the time I retired in 1997 it was at a 9th grade level. God knows where it's at now. Couple that with a failing education system and the picture don't look so bright now does it.

The ASVAB is currently based on a 10th grade education. Currently all you need is a score of 31 to join. Many testers cannot even get that score. Many foreign nationals taking the test. They have a green card so they are allowed to test.

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Yep with A.I. and autonomous miltary Killing machines on land air and sea, then who needs dumb recruits anymore. But emphasis of this post was how military families are handling & paying for raising a family?

There is correlation of civilian single mothers needing free day care and health insurance with housing in the this nation because their is no father with big enough earnings to be able to contribute funds to raise children in military families.

serf

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Modern warfare is keyboards and LCD screens in 4K. Ground pounders will follow their actions into lands they cleared. A flaming total flamingo can tap keys and push buttons a lot faster than you or I can move. The future is tech, not bravado. It is a huge change, not one I would want to partake in.

However the biggest baddest US Marine can not overtake, overcome or defeat a snowflake wearing fishnets, a pink tutu and 5" spike heals when the snowflake has a Hellfire missile locked on his body heat signature. Why would this same (D) snowflake Join the US military at 3K a month when Elite, Marxist, Progressive Uber rich pay it that much in two days?

Patriotism these days is rare, our youth has grown fat, rich and complainant with the status quo.

Why should they join given the state of the MSM and our social/ educational system???

That’s why we need to bring back the draft. You get a better selection of people to fill positions, granted you also get some really off the wall people as well, but the army still needs cooks, drivers and cannon cockers. There is no way I would want to be on a battlefield today with the technology being used. But there will still be the need for someone to go in and clear a village/town after you have leveled it.

The biggest problem I see right now is China and Russia and other countries are training their soldiers to win wars, and we are training are soldiers how to respect someone’s gender and not hurt someone’s feelings.

edited July 2022

Yeah bring back the draft but make sure Congress passes a quasi-back door equal rights amendment first that failed without getting the required states to adopt it in The constitution. I heard from Republicans that are saying Old Joe Biden wants the Marine corp to allow men and women to shower in the barracks to-get=her now?

That's your new republic at work here folks.Like I said you can skin a cat in more ways than one and those forked tongue politicians are masters at it up there in D.C.

serf

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/01/25/fact-sheet-president-biden-signs-executive-order-enabling-all-qualified-americans-to-serve-their-country-in-uniform/

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

The woke agenda of the US Military is purposefully driving out those with any independent thought or initiative.

It started with the insistence that healthy young people get an experimental shot that was unproven and now seems to have the potential to do more damage than good to those who were/are not at risk for KungFlu complications.

It continues with the racial sensitivity training pushed on organizations that have been at the forefront of racial inclusion.

It is ending with the bizarre focus on gender dysphoria where war-fighters are expected to care more about how their fellow soldiers/sailors feel about themselves than how well they perform their jobs.

While the initial thought is that this concerted effort to purge the individualist (What happened to 'An Army of One?) from the military will degrade our fighting capacity, the greater danger is far worse. By purging those that think from the ranks, those that remain are by definition more compliant and can be depended upon to follow orders that true Americans would never consider, particularly within CONUS.

A simple review of recent statements by the Secretary of Defense and the Chairperson of the Joint Chiefs shows us that independent thought does not exist at the highest levels. Once this corruption is spread throughout the ranks, the military will become that tool of the politicians those in both parties so strongly desire.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

The military always been a tool of/for the politicians. You see that is why we have the second amendment to thwart unsound governments,Once they remove that right for the citizenry and centralize that power to themselves to rule over us then we will become like Red China/Nazi's.

Everything gets blurred when you force women to be drafted and most women don't want to go there and The Democrats with The Republicans are aware they must circumvent this problem by destroying the patriarchal family to a trans-humanism type of existence with communism/fascism theology.

However war is used far too easily to gain power over our nation. We have becomes like Ancient Rome spreading our will with decadence over the world only to fail once again.

serf

George Washington and The Peril of Foreign Entanglements

Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. ... In the execution of such a plan nothing is more essential than that permanent, inveterate antipathies against particular nations and passionate attachments for others should be excluded, and that in place of them just and amicable feelings toward all should be cultivated. The nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest. Antipathy in one nation against another disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury, to lay hold of slight causes of umbrage, and to be haughty and intractable when accidental or trifling occasions of dispute occur.

So, likewise, a passionate attachment of one nation for another produces a variety of evils. Sympathy for the favorite nation, facilitating the illusion of an imaginary common interest in cases where no real common interest exists, and infusing into one the enmities of the other, betrays the former into a participation in the quarrels and wars of the latter without adequate inducement or justification. It leads also to concessions to the favorite nation of privileges denied to others, which is apt doubly to injure the nation making the concessions by unnecessarily parting with what ought to have been retained, and by exciting jealousy, ill will, and a disposition to retaliate in the parties from whom equal privileges are withheld; and it gives to ambitious, corrupted, or deluded citizens (who devote themselves to the favorite nation) facility to betray or sacrifice the interests of their own country without odium, sometimes even with popularity, gilding with the appearances of a virtuous sense of obligation, a commendable deference for public opinion, or a laudable zeal for public good the base or foolish compliances of ambition, corruption, or infatuation.

Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence (I conjure you to believe me, fellow citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake, since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of republican government. But that jealousy, to be useful, must be impartial, else it becomes the instrument of the very influence to be avoided, instead of a defense against it. Excessive partiality for one foreign nation and excessive dislike of another cause those whom they actuate to see danger only on one side, and serve to veil and even second the arts of influence on the other. Real patriots who may resist the intrigues of the favorite are liable to become suspected and odious, while its tools and dupes usurp the applause and confidence of the people to surrender their interests.

The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is, in extending our commercial relations to have with them as little political connection as possible. So far as we have already formed engagements let them be fulfilled with perfect good faith. Here let us stop. ...

Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest. But even our commercial policy should hold an equal and impartial hand, neither seeking nor granting exclusive favors or preferences; consulting the natural course of things; diffusing and diversifying by gentle means the streams of commerce, but forcing nothing; establishing with powers so disposed, in order to give trade a stable course, to define the rights of our merchants, and to enable the Government to support them, conventional rules of intercourse, the best that present circumstances and mutual opinion will permit, but temporary and liable to be from time to time abandoned or varied as experience and circumstances shall dictate; constantly keeping in view that it is folly in one nation to look for disinterested favors from another; that it must pay with a portion of its independence for whatever it may accept under that character; that by such acceptance it may place itself in the condition of having given equivalents for nominal favors, and yet being reproached with ingratitude for not giving more. There can be no greater error than to expect or calculate upon real favors from nation to nation. It is an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard.

This is my own opinion, and if I get scolded on it , so be it. Women have no business in the military when it come to a fighting unit. During the Gulf war it is estimated that 23% of the women got pregnant before deployment, intentionally or by chance it doesn’t matter, they either were sent home or were not allowed to deploy. Basically they were already a casualty, account of they couldn’t perform their duties. It’s an option a women can use if she doesn’t want to serve. I knew one such person before I retired from my job. She was in the national guard, and told me she got pregnant so she wouldn’t have to go to Iraq.

Bring back the draft and leave the woman at home.