In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accurate 1680 Powder for 32/20 Rifle

Has anyone used Accurate 1680 powder for a 32/20? I have a Stevens model 44 in 32/20 and a mess of A1680 powder. I use cast 100 gr bullets. What is a safe load for the old Stevens? I am not wanting a bear killing load, just something to plink with. Cannot find much on the net, except for a `92 Winchester and they are much stronger. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I have used that powder in the .221 FireBall (rifle) with good results but, of course, that is a completely different application. The burn rate of AA1680 is a bit slower than IMR4227 and I found data for IMR4227 in a couple of my loading manuals for the .32-20 cartridge with a max charge of 14 to 15 grains with a 100 gr. jacketed bullet. I guess, if I were you, I'd try it, but be prepared for hang-fires and miss-fires. In these days, you have to use what's on hand. Good luck.