In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corn On The Cob

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******

The corn this year in my area has been SUPURB! I buy mine from an Amish farm stand about 4 miles down the road. I only get 6 ears at a time, as my wife does not partake and have been eating an ear a day using that awesome microwave cooking method! Have not noticed any changes in freshness, tenderness, or taste from the first day to the 6th.

I forgot the name of the corn variety but it is solid yellow, which is rare these days. About all you usually find are the bi-color types anymore. This stuff is really sweet and tender and is one of the JOYS I always look forward to as our Summer winds down. Although I hate to see Summer go, when fresh APPLES hit the stands, at least my somewhat picky palette will find satisfaction! πŸ˜›

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,686 ******
    edited August 2022

An ear a day? When our corn first came in, I ate 9 ears in one sitting.

• Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up on an irrigation farm in Texas Panhandle. While I was in HS we had about a thousand acres of ensilage corn -- big "field corn" ears, not those oversweet samples out of a garden plot.

I've got six siblings and my job was taking care of the irrigation wells. Most important part of job was to bring in a mess of corn for lunch and supper from whichever plot of corn was "in season" .

15 minutes from field to plate, THAT'S FRESH!

Field corn is for dinner, sweet corn is for dessert!

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I know, that bi thing seems to be more and more common these days. Now the corn is even starting to switch teams.

• Options

Field corn is for dinner, sweet corn is for dessert!

And certainly not for fuel.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******

we make as much as will fit in a 5 gal. pail, the wife & I will eat 2 or 3 ears and then cut the rest off the cob and into freezer bags for the winter.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

Amish corn is sweeter because of the horse *. Nine ears? Had to be small, I just cut off a dozen ears for freezing and nine ears almost filled a ten quart pan.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,399 ******

The last time I ate more than a large single ear of corn, they came out the next morning looking just like the corn that went in. Only the cob was brown! 😁

• Options

That's why the chickens were following me around the next day.

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

My wife always loved her garden. I miss those days and that was the best corn. When we first married she used to have to drag me to the field to work in the garden. After that first year I was hooked. Man she knew how to do a garden.

That's what they lived on when she was a little girl and her Dad taught her well. They raised just about everything they ate including hogs and cows. That's about the only thing that sorry drunk ever did for her and the rest of the family. He did keep a roof over their head and they never went hungry but it was nothing close to being fancy and she and her brothers and sisters had to work for it. My beautiful little girl was so poor it was more than I could take. I got her out of there when she was just 16 years old. I tried to get her away from there even earlier but me sitting in jail wasn't going to be any help to her.

When I got her home I retired her and told her she never had to work again unless she just wanted to do something she liked. I would have had to tie her down to keep her from doing something. She had more energy and talent and smarts than anyone I ever met. She could have been anything she wanted to be and for some reason she decided to spend her life with me. I guess that's probably the only questionable decision she ever made. She did prove one thing and that's the fact that thoroughbreds could be sired even if they did have a jacka$$ for a father. She gave me 4 of the greatest kids any father ever had.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,341 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,341 ******
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Corntatic!

I can attest to the fact that corn on the cob is hard to eat without your front teeth. But...where there's a will, there's a way.