In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

In remembrance of Mark C.

Comments

• wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 279 ✭✭

A big loss here on GunBroker! He will be missed.

Was just shocked in seeing this.

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭

Not many people know as much about Garands as he did. RIP.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Sad to hear this. I've chatted on the phone with a Mark a couple times. I want to say I spoke with him back in January. I was down in Florida at the time. Never did get a chance to meet him in person.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭

I am like all of you, Mark will be missed.

Was his passing a sudden thing or was this something that had been coming on for some time?? I also wonder about family left behind.

We swapped more than a few Emails over a lot of years and I was always impressed with Mark. I'm not easily impressed so that says a lot.

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭

Fair and honest. What we all strive to emulate. Ros

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

The Knowledge of the M1 Garand. WOW. Mark was also very knowledgeable about bourbons. He seemed to have a great feel for people , and was always willing to answer a question on many subjects. Yes, you could say we all loved Mark. He will truly be missed by all...........😪

• gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭

Been MIA for a few weeks and this was waiting at the top of the queue.

RIP Mark

We shared some good exchanges, here at GBGD !

I will miss you.

Fair winds and following seas ...

George

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I will miss his humor and straight forward ways. We exchanged emails a few times over the years and I wish I had met him in person. He won an auction of mine for some Beretta APX magazines which was another platform he really enjoyed shooting....

RIP Mark...

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭

I do not remember in the 22 yrs or so of being on here ever getting or sending a email to or from him which is a Good thing over all . No news is good news

I will miss his input and his knowledge on the m1 and related gun stories

And of course his sense of humor .it really shined when having to hammer some one or deporting to the misfit isle

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

May he Rest in Peace,He will be missed as moderator.

serf

• JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

Makes my Mark C. Garand all the more special.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Damn I was gone a few weeks and just NOW read this. WTH happened? I bought two very nice Garands off him and we spoke several times. Geez, shocked.......🤔

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I'm not sure that anyone here knows what happened exactly. Just that he will forever be missed.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

I did find an Obituary in the Neptune society but only has dates of birth and death and location no other details.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Mark will be missed. I've chatted on the phone with him multiple times and always try to give him a call when I'm in Florida.

• TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭

Sad news. He was one of the good guys and always had a story.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

Late last night I received a PM from a new member, that is a long time friend of Mark's. He was just learning of Marks passing and was able to obtain further information that so many have asked, what happened.

I asked if this information could be shared but they had already logged off. They may or may not ever log back on. Re-reading the PM it was stated..."just wanted to let his friends know what happened". With that I am posting a copy of the PM. I am sorry to resurface emotions but I too want to let his friends know, as many of you have asked. RIP Mark.

" I was a friend of Mark Christian for 33 years and regretfully saw his obituary this evening and read some kind words spoken of him from his Gunbroker friends. My wife and I last spoke to him August 2nd. We've been calling him and texting him and when he didn't reply, we assumed he was on another enviable vacation. It was heartwarming to see he had so many friends in here. His sister from California is in Florida now trying to sort things out. Just wanted to let his friends know what happened. He fell in his bathroom and hit head, the walked out of the bathroom and collapsed. He was discovered five days later during a welfare check. This is devastating. We are going to miss him so much. I can count my true friends on two fingers. He was one"

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

That is about as sobering a thing as I have read in a long, long time. RIP Mr. Christian.

Thanks, MJ.

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

I suspected some sort of cancer, glad I was wrong.

Hope he didn't suffer long.

I never met him but I did consider him a friend.

When my time is up I hope they find me setting in the the woods enjoying nature with a smile on my face.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭

Living alone has its ups and downs. RIP Mr. Christian.

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Joe. Bob

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭

I know another guy that met his demise the exact same way. Licks to the head are not good.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,312 ******

Well thank you Joe for passing that along, it is good to have the mystery solved, but dang this is just sad....

You are truly missed Mark.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

Dang!!!!......RIP Mark. 😔

Bathrooms can be very dangerous places. I took a fall in ours about two years ago. My right foot (the fake one) got trapped under a cabinet edge.......and into the bathtub I went. Bent the tub nozzle down, ripped the soap dish out of the wall, and pulled the shower curtain/rod down on top of myself. Sitting cross-ways in a tub with bruised ribs......and no one at home.....it took a while to get myself out. Kitchens are not exactly an oasis either.

Be careful out there, folks.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭✭

About three months ago the same thing happened to a co-worker.

He was not known for missing work without notification and after about three days of not calling in and not showing up.........a welfare check was made and he was found dead in his tub after having fallen. He was less than 40 y.o.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this, tragic just tragic.

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Live every day... Life can end in a flash.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭

wow even sadder that I imaged

RIP Mark

you are truly missed

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I just signed up to have my tub tore out and install a walk in shower. Tubs are not for old lpeople.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭

So sad. obvious Mark had a great friend to let us know what happened. Thank you Joe for keeping us informed. RIP Mark. --------------------------Ray

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭

A friend fell in the kitchen. Didn't hit his head, but laid there for 5 days, eating food out food from a lower cabinet. Luckily the mailman missed him, checked & found him. Sorry about Mark.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update Joe, it puts a little closure on Mark's passing. Unfortunately, Mark is not the first person I know who has passed in the same manner, and it's such a sad ending to so many good people. RIP Mark, and everyone else out there who have passed in the same way. Please, be careful everyone, it seems that the things we take for granted often become our demise.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin

Yes, just totally sad, but like others have stated, at least knowing what happened brings some closure. Thanks Joe for passing that along.