In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another 1917 Enfield Question

Didn't want to overwhelm my other post with a bunch of questions, but I noticed that compared to most other 1917s, the bolt sleeve on mine appears to be shorter, as you can see by the silver cocking piece not being flush after firing. Looks like a normal bolt sleeve is supposed to extend past the safety, mine doesn't. Has anyone ever seen or heard of shorter bolt sleeves on these? Doesn't appear to be chopped, so I wonder why there would ever be shorter ones manufactured.

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

I never found good documentation on Enfield assembly/disassembly, but was told by a collector that there was a change in production from cock-on-open to cock-on-close, or maybe it was the other way around. In any case, I sold the rifle I had without ever figuring out how the darn thing came apart.

I'm glad you posted your concerning on this forum, I'm sure that someone who knows more than I do will answer your questions. The NRA used to sell a book with instructions for assembly/disassembly of rifles, I no longer have my reference books. Good luck.

Neal

• NorthernGunner69NorthernGunner69 Member Posts: 12

Appreciate your reply, Neal. I did some deep digging and found one person talking about "modified shortened bolt shroud" on another forum. For them, apparently it makes complete bolt disassembly easier. Interesting