In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rust is the Enemy

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭

Told a friend I'd clean up his 4 SKS's. I had no idea the Russian would be this bad. Any suggestions?

The barrel looks fine with a small amount of rust at both ends of the barrel and without getting the stock and dust cover off yet, the actions innards look better than the outside. Still some rust on the exposed parts.

Comments

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭

My go to is electrolosis (spelling?) when possible. Least invasive and better for me than vinegar etc.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,945 ***** Forums Admin

I would soak those parts in muriatic acid. That stuff will strip it to bare steel. It's gonna have pits though, but that can't be helped. Smooth out the surface/blend the pits with a power wire brush, then reblue.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,470 ******

Would hide more of damage. The gun will never hold a value, but can be restored to be a good shooter. Get 'er cleaned up, post some after pictures, and go shootin.

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭

I was thinking Cerakote. Never tried that or parkerizing, though I like the durability of parkerized.

Its a friend's. I brought back 3 Norinco also. Those are fine. I was thinking making this into a zombie hunter... Plastic stock and 30 round magazine. Like someone said here, this one won't hold value anyway...

Is evaporust any good or should I setup electrolysis?

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭

check out some of Mark Novak's you tube post "anvil "on you tube

he does a lot of great work truly amazing fellow and craftsmanship actually, repairs restoring and so much more

I posted his main link and one of a rusty rifle he did

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,470 ******

Amazing video. Thanks for that @Ditch-Runner

When I first watched him using steam ona steel rifle well I was surprised to say the least

But as I said he gets big bucks for his ability and he seems to have more than enought

I think he said he was a engineer on a nuclear sub or something along those lines in the navy early on in life

I enjoy watching him now and again

That's a good video. Wow.

What wheel is he using? Is it just a cotton buffing wheel?

What is he doing with the small tray of parts? Steaming?

It's called a carding wheel I think I have seen him put his hand on it to prove how soft it is and you can find them on line not really expensive

There some chemical change in the rust when the hot steame is applied icant recall the changes name

I don't recall all the info lucky I have not had to use it but I like to watch a lot of the various craftsman doing a lot of things from car restoration to shoe restoration and all in-between

I suggest Just watch some of his videos on conserving a gunhe has a few just on that

It is amazing to see what looks like a trashed gun to be brought back

From what he has said he is too old to take on anymore apprentices just to much strain on him as he has gotten old and he is not inexpensive to have do any work

He said he can afford to pick and choose what project to take on

Like I said I just like watching him sometimes

He is big on using reference and well written books on individual guns

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

I'll agree that it's a bit utilitarian......

But I'm afraid he lost me......when he mentioned using Gorilla Glue, on a gunstock, instead of Brownell's AcraGlas.

My $0.02......

• Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

If you're stripping it down to bare metal, I've found that powdered citric acid works every bit as good as Evaporust, for about 10% the price, once it's mixed. A couple pounds (I get it on ebay. Should be around $10/lb) makes several gallons of solution, if you mix it a bit weaker than I do, and don't mind waiting longer. I don't know if it will eventually etch the good metal, if you leave it in past a certain amount of time, but it removes bluing and fine rust well before it would have time to do anything bad.

If you happen to spot "Filter-Mate Softener Cleaner" by OUT at the hardware store, grab several jugs. It's citric acid powder with a fancy label. It'll be one of two labels. It actually comes out a a couple bucks per pound cheaper buying it vs. the bags on ebay. A bonus is it also works fantastic on old rusty wrenches and sockets.

• Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,690 ******

I watched about half the video and it was interesting, I'm probably never gonna need the info, since I don't currently have the patience to do something like that but good to know if I ever have too.

I did not watch the vidio i just picked one he did first one about rust I ran into I did so just to point out he has done a lot of such repairs on rust and odd ball gun repairs and seems to be good at it

From other videos i have watched i dont recall him ever using any thing other than AcraGlas.

he says he does not get any sponsorship, but I should frpm the compsny he says its the best product he has used

But I have only watched a handfullI maybe a dozen of his videos over the last several years

Any way let us know how the rifle turns out and what direction you take

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,563 ✭✭✭✭

Rust is the Enemy

Ya think?

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭

Evaporust only removes the rust (and bluing) but won't etch or harm the metal.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"