In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer Cost

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I am starting to see a few primers for sale.The price is $100. per thousand. Has the price increased that much or are we being gouged?

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

been that way since 2020 was even worse in 2020

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, if it's local, that might be slightly high depending on what they are, but if you check the on-line prices, add in shipping and Hazmat, it's not out of line, and maybe worth it if you can buy more than the on-line sellers limit of 1000.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,686 ******

When small pistol primers went over $60, imagine my dismay when I discovered I only had 2000 in stock.

I won't be reloading any 9mm in the near future.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

When primers begin to cost as much as ammo and a case of 5000 more than a good pistol, the entire reloading supply business will eventually collapse and the prices will fall drastically. Presently Ammo prices are falling daily and approaching pre pandemic level while primers cost have not.

However, consider both Fiocci and Sig Sauer are building plants dedicated to primer manufacturing only in the DARK RED 2A state of Arkansas. We will have to wait another year until they send products out the door. When they become available, buy from these people. Their prices will retail for much less and CCI, FC, Rem & WW will be forced to follow. Thank GOD we are still a capitalist nation.

BTW, have been reloading more than 50 years now and since Gun Grabbing Bill Clinton & the DEMOCRATs signed the AWB, primers and other reloading supplies have been scarce. If you are a shooter who reloads and want to shoot you must keep on hand a supply of powder, primers, and bullets, lead that will last you for at least 5 years into the future or equivalent. Bottom Line: Shooters Hoard

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a long time since I reloaded but I enjoyed doing it a lot of shotgun shells but back then a primer was about 1 or 2 cents same with centerfire so that tells you how long It's been

My youngest son and one of his buddies set up some real nice Dillon presses several years ago one is 9mm and one 45 acp they were making thousands of rounds at a time but that faded away mostly the covid and crazy prices stopped them,

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I've currently got more ammo than I will live long enough to shoot. Cases & cases of all gauge shotshells, pistol and rifle. I had Casey sell off a lot of my guns a couple of years ago, so I then sold the unneeded ammo. Finally when prices went thru the roof I sold all of my reloading gear. Every piece of it brought more than it cost years ago. With the cost of powder, primers, & bullets these days, reloading is not much of a money saver.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping that primers will be like 22 ammo was,scarce and expensive,and now there is plenty of it at fair prices.

• Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭

You could say the same about powder, $40.00 and up per pound plus 7 1/2% tax here - when you can find it.

• Options
    BpbreloadingBpbreloading Member Posts: 35

Had some primers trickle in, in December. The cost was 3x wholesale my last delivery. So 1,000 primers at $100.00 is the avg. I sold match primers for $125.00. The real joke were the CCI BR @ $168.00.

I've been in the reloading business for 30+ years with the exception of lead shot which is a commodity-prices have never gone this high. Well except for the gougers.

#bpbreloading

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I reload a lot because I shoot a lot and have a home range to shoot at. I hate the primer and powder costs and stocked up on powder a while before the price insanity hit. Primers. Yea, I have overpaid for them but I order 5,000 of each size needed and just suck it up. I got some small pistol primers at Powder Valley at $79.00 per thousand. I bought 5,000. Today I casted up about 15 pounds of 124 Grain RN 9mm bullets. They will get sized and loaded here in the new future.

Having gotten involved in ARA rimfire benchrest competition last fall my consumption of Eley Match and Lapua Center-X ammo has gone up dramatically. It is now the biggest cost in my shooting career.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

This ^^! When the cost of reloading supplies is not much of a money saver.}

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I just returned from a gun show. I didn't see any primers but I wasn't looking for them, either. I did see some gunpowder; the ordinary stuff like IMR3031--asking price was $55.