In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Yooper Sunday

BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Living down here in mid Michigan, I am sometimes jealous of my friends in the Upper Peninsula. Talking to some friends yesterday that live in the upper Upper Peninsula, on the Keweenaw peninsula and the snow for this month is way down. Had 80" in December but only 7.5" so far this month. At least Jason hasn't had to shovel off his elderly folks roof in a couple of weeks. While I love the hunting, fishing, and good folks up there I don't think I would like all the snow. Last year they broke the 300" amount for the season. They tell me I'd get used to it but I don't think so. So for our members that have the pleasure of living it in da U.P. I'll pass along this that was sent to me by a good Lutheran gentleman that lives in Houghton;

I'm still jealous, but not so much this time of year! Bob

Comments

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******

That's alot of snow,,,

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

A co-worker who was also National Guard told me of maneuvers that took place in the UP. He said those folks hated their presence and let them know the were not welcome.

Not sure if true, but I've heard those folks are fiercely independent.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

I've had a few "troll" friends that tried to live there in da UP. One was there for a bit over 10 years and was never really accepted. Things may have changed since then, I don't know as it's been several years. I have found the UP to be a vacation PARADISE. In the summer months! ☺️

Just don't forget to never leave home without yer swampers!! ay!

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

I love snow.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭

The Guard always does that in deer season. Makes those boys nervous riding with their guns loaded.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Im a couple of hundred miles South of the yoopers and they speak their own language LOL.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭

The U.P. is a lot like NorCal. I was a logger for 37 years, live in the woods, have a generator for when the power goes out and we cut & burn about 8 cord of wood per year. We eat a lotta fish, squirrel, venison and an occasional bear. We spend more time visiting at the grocery store than shopping. We pick elderberries, apples, plums & gooseberries for canning, in MASON jars! We share our garden with the deer. Gotta watch them coyotes though, they like chicken, and so do we, especially their eggs. I wouldn't trade our lil place fer nothin'.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you got it covered

Congrats on such a self reliant life style

What so many dream of bur few would be willing to put all the effort into

I would say I am jealous .and have to could my self as a arm chair off the grid or better put at my age and spoiled with conventinces

just running out of mountain dew and Hershey bars I would hAve to go into rehab lol

trying to switch life styles and living that way would kill me

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I am impressed @elubsme.

I live in the Country, but am not as self-reliant as you are. (Quite a bit, but not as much as you, Sir.)

I pride myself/strive for self-reliancy. Got most things covered.

That is a rare thing now a day's.