In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Solar panels

Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭✭

It's about time for the solar panel sales people to ring my doorbell and try to convince me to buy into their systems. Not gonna happen. In spite of the proliferation of solar putting energy back on the grid in my area, I have yet to see a reduction in my power bill. Xcel energy has been making record profits, though. Go figure.

However, I am interested in my own solar array generating power for my own usage. Have any of you been successful doing that?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

Comments

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

I have not done it yet but like you I am have been looking into the same set up.

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on others who have done it. It is possible as all of the components are available to individuals.

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Biggest hold up for me is the battery storage. If you want TRUE off grid capacity, then the battery banks will cost upwards of $100,000. You can prob get by with 50k but remember, ALL batteries have a life expectancy! If your doing it to save money, then you will NEVER recoup the costs. For off grid living, it can be done and may be worth it if that what you want.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭✭

OUCH!!! I won't be going totally off grid anytime soon!

The goal is actually to offset my current usage. Solar to offset cost for the expensive items (HVAC, dryer, etc). Any thoughts, @mike55 ?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******

For that you can see benefit without the uber expensive battery bank.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭

You don't have to spend that much unless you want Tesla batteries.

Look at Bluetti.

https://www.bluettipower.com/

I am using these battery for our concession business and they have worked great. I have their solar panels and when using the the panels the battery does not even go down in power. The other thing is that the batteries are iron phosphate batteries which have a 3,000 to 3,500 charge cycle which means they are good for almost 10 years. Regular Lithium batteries are only good for about 500 charge cycles.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

It should only take a pretty small array on that metal hat, (strainer?) You wear. Personal usage right?

You could probably carry the batteries in your pocket.

I'm Voting (personally) for Shock Collar usage. Maybe we can mail the control to various Members for uhmn, er, Strictly Scientific purposes.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever you do with solar, wind or batteries all will be obsolete before it pays for itself now days.

If you are surviving ok with some coins left over, keep the coins in your pocket.

Lots of BS floating around now days. Take a long look at the ones promoting the BS.

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭

Several small solar farms around here. Installed with, listen carefully, with mine and you tax dollars.

Install price will never be recouped. Only one benefiting is the land owner in rent money.

A couple natual big gas lines run to the mountains here, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, grant money again.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

The Amish folks don't worry about it.

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭✭

It would be cheaper for me to become Amish, that's for sure. I did a little research into how much power it takes to run a central air system and how many panels I would need to do that. I'll need something like 15-18 panels and each one is about 6' x 3'. I don't have that much roofline that faces the right direction. And that's just for running the AC, nothing else and no leftover energy stored.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not convinced that you'll ever get your money back out of a photovoltaic system. If you set up a system just to heat your potable water, that will pay for itself.

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Don't forget the price of a new roof if your present roof is shot. You don't want to install solar panels over a bad roof. In 20-30 years you will need another new roof if it is asphault under those panels? So how long are those panels good for? Not a good option for me at age 80.

I once knew electrician that replaced lighting in a govt bldg. (can't be specific here public forum) Claims civil service worker put in for award because it would save the Govt. money in electric use to make the change and he won award. I asked Frank what was the payback. He said 700 years and I laughed all the way to the bank. ---------------------------------Ray

• mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭✭

Seems you answered your own question. Panels aren't cheap either. BUT you can use those to sell power back to your energy company, IF they support that.

The batteries are to keep everything powered at night or dark or snowy days. If you just want a little help, solar panels can do that. It MAY pay for itself if you use enough electricity during the day, and almost none after dark. I can't afford either the panels or batteries.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

Cheaper and totally miserable to be Amish. Being that my wife is Amish, and grew up in a one room schoolhouse, with no running water, electricity , bathroom and so on, I can tell you why she left the sect. I met her during Rumspringa, and showed her what the world with modern conveniences was like . Out of her 9 brothers and sister, all left the Amish life, except one brother.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******

I too was considering listening to the solar salesman. This thread answered my questions. Thanks all.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭

i cant spend 50 grand to the power co for the rest of my time

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭

My brother was looking to get a solar array to charge his Tesla. It was going to be $16 Grand for the cells alone, not including the batteries.

• dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭

You can buy obsolete solar panels now. I can not trust a solar salesman.