In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Truck Tires.............

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

I just put a new set of tires on the F-150 today. Cooper Discoverer AT3. My last set were General Grabbers.

They did not hold up as well as I thought they would so I did some research and settled on the Coopers. Front end alignment etc so hopefully I am set for a good while.

Anyone else have any experience with either of these tires ?

Comments

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

I have had such good service with Michelin tires I dont even look at other brands anymore

However, we bought our daughter a slightly used small SUV (under 30000 miles) last February, the dealer had installed brand new General tires on it. After about 12 000 miles they still look really good. Not sure what model these Generals are

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a quote for the Cooper AT3 from my local Fleet Farm for $1004 put on the truck. Curious as to how that compares to yours?

• William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

$1100 including the balancing and front end alignment...

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

I just took a set of 9 year old Michelins off the Tundra.I always used Michelins ,but the price had doubled since my last set.According to my tire guy I trust,he suggested that if I dont use Michelins,use Toyo,so thats what I did.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

The last set of Cooper AT3's, I had on my pickup, lasted 80,000 miles and I could have gone more. I put another set on my new Pickup last year. I won't buy any other tire. They are the best tire for the money, IMHO. Oak

• tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭

My truck has Cooper Discoverer RTX. They were on it when I bought it.

They don't have very good traction in wet conditions.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

I've been running Discoverer AT3 as my 'winter tires' for 3 winters. They hold reasonably well, aren't disturbingly noisy at road speed, and have worn well enough. They will 'chop' on the front (on a Chevy anyway) but regular rotations will go a long way toward reducing this.

Since I run quite bit on gravel roads, my mileage isn't going to be anywhere near the advertised miles and a couple of times I failed to log the miles when I swapped these winter tires on/off so I have no idea how many miles are on this set of tires which are still @ 50% + tread depth. I think I can squeeze one more winter out of this set.

• redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭

Put those same Coopers on my truck. Got maybe 5k on em so far. They seem to be fine.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I had a set of the General Grabber AT2's on my Ranger. Musta been a fairly soft compound because they did not last very long. Coopers have a good reputation.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

I believe Goodyear owns Cooper Tires who makes Mickey Thompson and Mastercraft tires.

I have about 20k on my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT tires on my Jeep and have been impressed with them. I hear good things about Cooper as well.

I told a friend I was looking for a set of AT tires for my F150. He offered me the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires that came off his Jeep Gladiator, a set of 4 for $500. He had all of 3000 miles on them. I snagged them quickly at that price. This is the 3rd set of Falkens I've had.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

my mechanic talked me into the Falken tires last year, they are a all terain tread but as quite as can be on the highway and still a 50,000mile tire, we liked then so much we put a set on the wifes SUV and they are 70,000 mile tires.....

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Goodyear now owns Cooper, Mastercraft is a Cooper tire, not sure what that foretells but the prices sure did go up quick. IMNSHO after selling tens of thousands of tires the Mastercraft tire is about the best value for cars. The FIrestone Transforce AT or HT is the best Value in a pickup truck tire. YMMV.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at the cooper courser when I got mine, seems everyone was out of stock and the mechanic told me goodyear was buying cooper and to expect about a 40% increase in cooper prices the next month, one of the reasons I went with the Falkan.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of months ago a I put a set of Michelin LTX M/S tires on our 2008 4Runner...........for the third time.

Great tires!

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

"The FIrestone Transforce AT or HT is the best Value in a pickup truck tire. YMMV."

In my area, the 'Transforce' has a BAD reputation for coming apart at speed, under load. The damage caused when a tire comes apart under any of the newer pickups is tremendous. I've bought a couple sets of 3 with 60%+ tread left for use on farm equipment really cheap (or free) after one tire dis-assembled itself under a pickup fender.

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

I have the AT3's on my good truck.

I love them.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Odd, I carry up to 3,500 pounds in my truck 265/75/16 load range E tires and have had no issues for the 300,000 plus miles I have been using the Transforce tire. I have also NEVER seen one come back to our shop for a warranty issue that was the tires fault. IIRC we sold about 4,800 Transforce tires last year, people hit things and tear them up but no claims for them coming apart. Any used tire is a crap shoot and if there was an issue with them coming apart as large as we are we would know about it.

edited March 2023

Should have load range E as a minimum?? Buy a Kahr it will never come apart!

The big come on now is buy 3 and get one free!

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭

Michelin owns BF Goodrich,Uniroyal,Riken,and some most of us have not heard of,Camso,Kormoran,Kleber,and Tigar.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

The Tires on my (modified) Jeep Wrangler right now, are BF Goodrich M/T KM's. Love them. Voted "Off Road Accessory of the Year," when they came out.

KM 3's are out now. Still one of the best deals on the market. (If you plan on doing some Off Road use.) Price per tire is extremely attractive, vs. a lot of the market.

(I have been tracking them through my Quadratec magazines. )

When/if my current ones wear out, that is what I plan on buying.