In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ran into one of those guys at a restaurant yesterday........

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2023 in General Discussion

First off I have nothing against someone who chooses to open carry. I choose not to do it with the exception of during hunting season or out fishing in the sticks alone. I see them as the likely the first one shot in any robbery situation. Yesterday, my bride and I were eating lunch at nice family restaurant after visiting a couple of cemeteries and in walked an interesting character.

He had on a loud shirt you would notice from across the room. He was carrying a 1911 in a bright colored holster (it was a Forbus, spray painted with some pattern) and open mag pouches on his weak side. Clipped to each front pocket were no less than three knives and a push dagger in the small of his back. As he ordered his meal at the counter, he kept resting his hand on his firearm...... He was quite loud and animated as he moved through the place.

I guess the dude was hoping someone would notice him...

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of a scene from "Better Call Saul". The noisy ones are always the idiots.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I never could understand the reason for open carry. Sure, some times like out on the range on horseback, walking down Main St. in Tombstone 120 years ago, or hunting in the woods and feel I might need a sidearm. But if I'm in Kroger, at the bank, or in the mall I sure don't want a Colt Peacemaker in a fancy brightly colored holster on my hip when the bad guys barge in.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

These guys always make me nervous. They think it’s a deterrent but really it’s a target for first to get shot

great to have him as bait for bad guys

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭

A potential BSR sighting

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

Bantam rooster type 🐓

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

I compare seeing a person flaunting their open carry in a busy public place to someone showing off a very large bank roll of big bills. Just asking for trouble!

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭

I saw one of those idjits about a month ago while having breakfast in a restaurant. He had a Glock in a chest rig and made sure everyone saw it. Dufus, I hope he spilled egg yoke on his sights.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭

Can't stand the type. It's not even so much the open carry as it is the loud, brash, "look at me" attitude.

They always seem to carry a 1911 too, with the fanciest grips they could find.....and usually have one of these to complete their ensemble....

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭

'I never could understand the reason for open carry. 

I compare seeing a person flaunting their open carry in a busy public place'

Thanks for those 'opinions' everyone's entitled to theirs. On the other hand, I see no reason NOT to open carry discreetly.

Sure, the Dufus with all that hardware hanging on him was just a poser looking for attention. Is that different than some 'chic' with purple hair or some 'dude' with a nose ring?

I open carry often especially in summer. It's 100% legal in MO. The crossdraw holster I use sits inconspicuously below my left forearm and generally unnoticeable and looks very much like a cell phone holder.

I see folks using IWB 'tuckable' holsters quite often. How many moves does it take to present the gun? How 'provocative' are those moves and how much attention do they attract to the carrier?

I can stand with my arms casually crossed in front of my stomach with my hand on the grip of my pistol. How many moves does it take to present my gun? No one notices an old guy standing with his arms crossed.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭

Mobuck,

Agree. I have no issue with open carry. If it suits my needs for the day, I’ll do it, and not worried about being a target.

“Discreetly” I think is the key word.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember some years ago open carry was legal in some states I think here in Ohio was one of the states but concealed carry was illegal

But they also would say expect to get the police called and unwanted attention if you do carry in public it just scared too many people

Even though it was legal some people would just panic over it

Why CC carry was being pushed by gunowners out of sight ment less trouble

I have seen a few like most of you have walking thru places with their pistol in the show off position

With CC carry legal as been stated it seems out of place

I think some who do so have no idea its a take me out first flag but consider it a don't mess with me warning

JMHO go all in or go home get a set of gold or bright chrome desert eagles in 50 cal. In a pair of shoulde holsters

Really make a statement

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭

I have to say most of the folks i see carry open have no clue how to do so.

Cheap pistol, using a inside the pants clip on holster, with the holster on the outside with flimsy clip on the belt, and pistols rocking as they walk..

Sagging belts, pistols in loose holsters. making it easy for someone to grab their

Usually at Walmart too.

I always Conceal Carry, I'm a big guuy and hard to carry on the side (iI'velost a lot of weight) I just have to cover up.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

Those guys are called bird dogs, they flush out the bad guys by getting shot first. You know what to do then.

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

This would be that guy in a gun fight!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******

Life's about choices.

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

It's as close to a 100% bet as you can get that dude doesn't carry with one in the chamber.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭

Life is short, shorter for the the ones that feel they're irreplaceable or invincible.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
    edited June 2023

Look at it this way. He doesn't have to pull his shirt tail up to draw his weapon.

(stir, stir)

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭

i encountered a person just like you described once in Walmart, back when i lived near Missoula. SHE had a gaudy holster rig on 1 hip and a mag pouch on the other, all loaded with what i saw as 45acp. I surmised nobody would dare to mess with her, not because of her armaments, but because of her loaded shopping cart full of canned cat foods, toys, litter, bedding, brushes and assorted collars. yes she was a "crazy Cat Lady"

• Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭

Curious what the statistics are on the whole "you'll be the first target" aspect of open carry. How many people have actually been shot, or shot at, because they were carrying that way?

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I have nothing against "Open Carry," when NOT done in a "Showing Off," manner.

TN, recently went Constitutional Carry. (👍😁) I work in a Grocery Store. (For another couple mo. anyway.) I have noticed the exponential increase of Open Carry at our store for the past few months. (I like it.) Most (90%+) are not showing off and are carrying discreetly. I like/appreciate seeing a plethora of Law Abiding Citizens carrying. (Maybe that's just me.)

It's not a matter of pick a guy/girl out, "their the 1st to be shot." (?) It's a matter of Holy Crap, everybody here is armed. I'd better take my Bad Intentions elswhere.

The vast majority are not "Cheap Firearms in Floppy Holsters," either.

*The "Look at Me," folks are a different animal. I look at them, like others here and just shake my head. There is a HUGE difference between the camps and carry style.

• Options

He was in condition 1, Cocked and locked....safety was on. But who knows !!

• Options