In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Most commonly launched gun parts

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this might make for an interesting post some may agree or disagree, but certainly some of you will own up to having launched a few gun parts over the years.

Some never to be found or found years later in places you would never imagine such as a flower pot or ceiling light fixture etc.

My two favorites are 1911 recoil spring plug and since I started building ARs: Pivot pin detents and the forward assist spring.

Comments

• Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭

Recoil spring on my Buckmark. It’s like a game of fetch when putting the thing back together.

🇺🇲 "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson 🇺🇲

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭

Ruger Security-Six mainspring when you remove the seat and pin, and I've also launched the occasional Remington 700 ejector plunger.

My shop floor is like this gravity no man's land- stuff falls towards it, but then disappears when it hits.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭

Called Murphy’s law. Over the years in my work room I’ve kept a round magnet with a long handle on it for just such instances. Found many of plungers, plunger springs, pins and so on. Only solution I can come up with to curtail these mishaps is, either grow a third hand or have a magnetic floor to keep things from rolling or bouncing.

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

As for my vote

I go with AR style rifle detent springs and the detent pins

I learned the hard way launched a detent spring into orbit . Searched and then just gave up waited about a week on replacement

Several plus years ago I bought enought springs and detent pins and roll pins for the AR platforms . Just cheap peace of mind after the first lanch epasode .no way I wanted to wait several days for a few dollars in springs to get my rife up and going

I have a craftsman 3 or 4 drawer toolbox i set up and dedicated to just AR platform i have poced up many many speciality tools and enought spare parts to keep me coveted for my life and most liky my kids and grandkids.. lol

Of course I have had the random spring or part from other guns over the years jump out of place and bounce off a wall but always recovered them not like the black rifle lanching parts into the next county

...Let's not talk about dropping a screw down a carburetor or a random bolt or socket into a hard to reach frame rail or inner panel while working under a cars hood

By the way Any one seen a 10 mm socket or a 1/2 " 6 point socket I have lost my share

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭

Pivot pin detent has to be at/near the top of the list. Number 2 would be buffer retainer/spring.

AR's are the only thing I take apart these days.

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭

I looked for two days to find this microscopic pin that holds the entire ejector assembly together on a Charter Arms Bulldog.

Less than the size of a small grain of rice ....... what a PITA. AND, I lost it twice.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,629 ******

Yep AR platform, purchased a few springs and detents as spares after building my first 80% problem is I can't remember where I put the spares I ordered....

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭

The reason a circlip is referred to as a Jesus clip. "Jesus Christ !!!, where'd it go?"

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,604 ******

Have sent a few fly's (which is a tiny little part in a flint or percussion lock) into the 7th dimension.

Then, just once I launched a ramrod out of muzzle loader. It hit my target dead center. The patched ball that was following it missed the bull by an embarrassing no other holes were ever found! 🤫

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I hope nobody feels that this is inappropriate but 65 or so years ago when I was just a kid, one of guys in the repair shop of my dad's appliance store explained to me what a Jesus washer is. It's a washer or other small part that when launched out of what you are working on is very hard or impossible to find on you say "Oh Jesus".

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭

I must have been in my late thirty's before I found out that they really aren't "Jesus" clips, even bought them asking for Jesus clips and was never corrected. They are appropriately misnamed.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭

bullshot, I thought nobody else heard of that term.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen alot of Glock front sights fly off while shooting over the years.

Generally, a person “upgraded” the sights and failed to properly secure the front sight when installing the new set.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭

My dear wife went and bought me a rolling magnet, to find all the springs I have shot across the room. I usually find them with my bare feet in the middle of the night. 😫

• William81William81 Member Posts: 25,161 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

My workshop in our last house was carpeted. When my sons were younger, I would pay them 5 bucks to find any spring or small part I could not find. I had a couple large magnets and the boys could usually find the items fairly quickly... It kept me from having to crawl around on the floor and they always liked to make a buck..

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,059 ******

I'm just going to plus one to just about every reply so far. Yup!!

• kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the early '70s I launched all the magazine guts out of an 870 I took apart to remove the plug. I never again dismantled a gun on a pond bank. All I heard was a "Zinggggg.......Kerplunk!"

Oddly, the gun still functioned OK if I held the muzzle straight up while racking the action.

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

You guys are entertaining........but that/those ain't nothing!!🙄 ........AND I think/hope Forgemonkey will back me up on this.......

Back in the early 1980's........my wife and I, and our brand new first child, had moved into a new two bedroom apartment. I now had my own space for my work bench and "toys".........sorta.

Anywho.........I was working on an old National Match/Gold Cup. I zigged when I should have zagged..........and launched the sear depressor spring into approximately 10 square feet of dark deep pile carpeting!!!😫🤯

No spares........of course. Sooooooooo.......after about an hour and a half.......and much deep pile carpet belly surfing.........I actually found the spring. The wife thought I had lost my mind.

It should be noted that......in all these years......I've been unable to replicate such a superhuman effort. Probably because.....for the most part......I'm unwilling to recommit such idiocy. 🥴

Bottom line........I subsequently devised a method to deal with such parts.....inside a large clear plastic bag.........AND to keep a few spare sear depressor springs.😎

I was searching one day ( one of many ) for a small part that had sprung into action 😁

my youngest son happened to stop by and said check the vents in the floor ( heat and A/C vents) he said many times that where he would find such parts

I found it odd 🙄that's where it would go, with nothing to loose sure enough after all the searching I had done I pulled the deflector cover and in the duct was the part .. I still dont know how it found its way in

• Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Ever tried to remove the spring from the gas piston extension on an SKS? Get that little gas tube release lever just right, and the piston/spring combo will go high enough to make NASA jealous. First time I ever disassembled an SKS. Your first thought when flipping that lever isn't "hey, I should hold a finger over that hole below the rear sight, so something doesn't break the sound barrier on the way out". At least mine wasn't.

On the south side of Grandpa's front porch was a big lilac bush. That's where the piston and spring landed. Right smack dab in the middle of the jungle that had formed in that bush over 30-some years. Found the piston easily enough. The spring? Well, it's likely still there, mocking me, covered by a parking lot, after the house was moved 26 years ago.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,600 ✭✭✭✭

Might wanna spend $10

edited August 2023

well just proves were all in this together. 😁

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭✭

I have found that some things are best taken apart and put back together in a clear plastic bag.

Saves a lot of time searching dark corners

• Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

High Standard 22 revolver crane pin and spring

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭

"Yep AR platform, purchased a few springs and detents as spares after building my first 80% problem is I can't remember where I put the spares I ordered...."

Since I'm sort of 'in the AR business', I keep a couple of compartmented boxes of spares. Unless I see the little bits fall, I don't spend much time looking for them. Probably enough pins and springs hidden under the back corners of my work bench to assemble a couple of AR's--I find long lost parts now and then while looking for the most recent 'launchee'.😁

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭

Bolt plunger and spring, as well as rebound springs for S&W's.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭

Bullet

Where did it go?

That animal is walking dead.

• mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Got you all beat I launched a Jennings j22 somewhere in my garage after it closed on my finger. To this day i am still looking for that little bugger. I have a general idea were it landed but I dont want to move that side of the garage.

My garage shop is 100 by 60 on one side other side is 100 by 24,.