In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you still have a VHS tape player??

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2023 in General Discussion

While getting something out of my storage area - I found an AGI Remington 870 Series Armorer's Course, Maintenance & Technical Video. I no longer have a Remington 870 shotgun.

Is there anyone who would like to have this video tape??

Best Regards - AQH

Comments

• bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Yea, I have a Panasonic VHS. Use it only for Disney movies that we just had to have.

• notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

We have three but they won't work on any of our TVs.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,417 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 25,024 ✭✭✭✭

sure put my name in the hat please

we have at least 4 maybe 6 honest maybe more 🤨 I am not sure that play dvd and VHS and I think some only do VHS

I bought ( and my oldest son also ) most of them on the secondary market and thrift stores just to have them , due to so many VHS movies I really have no idea how many movies we have and home movies and recorded TV shows and movies when we had a VHS camera did a lot of family and vacation movies and have not transferred them all to dvd

as many of you I will guess when VHS came out we were big on the idea when we got our 1st vhs player that weighed the same a small car the only place in town that had rental VHS was a mom pop shop appliance store they would try and have a couple copys of the newest movies as they came out

but I can not bring my self to just tossing them out 😲

many yrs back I read the drive belts go bad over time they deteriorate is the down fall of the VHS players but I am banking on generic replacements or DIY fixes to keep them going if need be

• 62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭

Ditch.......

I'm right there with ya!

I've at least 8 or 10 VCRs around here somewhere.......and most of them still work. Years ago I was the neighborhood repair guy.

I don't have an 870........but I STILL record many TV shows, including most METV channel old westerns, to playback at my leisure.

Like you Ditch..........Lord only knows how many recorded tapes we have pigeon-holed away. I do know that somewhere I have a complete set of Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes episodes/movies. 😎

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,604 ******

I too have a couple VHS players that I use for a host of tapes in my video library. I even went on a hunt for old VHS Head Cleaners that are harder to find than the players!

Came across a few stacks of blank tapes at yard and garage sales that I keep in case I want to record something. My main enjoyment in life now days is LIVING IN THE PAST! 😁

https://youtu.be/Tn9IyFLDtjk?list=PLfGibfZATlGrCill8xZZ0Ivb3QpvsHU04

• hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭

Moving stuff around the Basement Rec room. yesterday

Found a Beta Machine (our wedding is Betta tape)

VHS Machine

VHS to DVD recorder.

And 100's of VHS tapes mostly Kids stuff (dDsney etc)

Even a 8mm cassette Camera , with 20+ cassettes .

Know these tapes are going to wear our or have problems should send these off and have copies made for a better media platform.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I've even got an old movie disc player (remember those ?....before VHS came out) and 2 or 3 VHS players with a number of western movies 😊

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭

I have a VHS/DVD player that I still use. I also have a Remington 870, But it functions just fine, so I'll pass. Thanks for the offer though.

Joe

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,371 ******

I have one but it has a tape stuck in it.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,600 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I keep mine next to my Beta max my Sega Dreamcast and my 8 track cassette player.

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭

yes lots of john wayne and old cartoons on tape

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I wish my Panasonic vhs to dvd recorder would come back to life. Whenever power goes out it goes dead until sitting a long time. I think its been two years now, maybe three actually

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭

Will probably be in the at least Category 1 zone on Wednesday and off-line for a few days. I will check when back on line and put any additional names in the hat and draw one out for the AGI VHS tape.

Best Regards - AQH

• papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

good luck and safe tidings

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭

Ditch-Runner - it is in the mail on the way to you.

Best Regards - AQH

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,494 ✭✭✭✭

nypost.com

Your childhood VHS tape collection could be worth a fortune

By Brooke Steinberg

Published Sep. 14, 2023, 2:41 p.m. ET

One person’s analog trash is another person’s vintage treasure.

If you have a pile of VHS tapes that haven’t been touched since the dawn of digital media, you might be able to make a fortune on them.

Blockbuster video cassettes are obviously a relic of yesteryear, with technology moving from VHS to DVDs and Blu-Ray and now onto streaming — but they’re still popular among some cult cinema collectors.

Many are going for a shocking amount of money on eBay, including classic films such as “Back to the Future” and even newer flicks with a cult following, such as the original “Fast and the Furious.”

However, simply posting a VHS on eBay doesn’t guarantee you’ll get big bucks — the condition must be top-notch.

VHS tapes degrade 10% to 20% over 10 to 25 years, and some footage could be skewed with age, according to the pros at Kodak. Tapes have a short lifespan due to remanence decay of the magnetic charge, which leads to discoloration, blacked-out scenes and eventually complete loss of footage.

SEE ALSO

Other conditions that speed up degrading of VHS tapes include storing in hot or humid conditions, storing them near magnetic sources, cheap or low quality tape, excessive rewinds and playbacks on the tape, and the tape is a second- or third-generation recording copy.

Kodak recommends storing VHS tapes in a cool and dry place “with little to no climate change” in order to keep them in the best possible shape — though even in the best conditions, they will eventually deteriorate.

That means your over-watched bright orange VHS of “The Rugrats Movie” might not be the one that gives you a pay day. However, some titles are up for auction with starting bids in the thousands.

It’s unclear how many of these mint-copy tapes have actually sold for big bucks — but online shoppers are certainly bidding on and buying them. In fact, many of the sellers have “100% positive feedback” rankings.

The Post has reached out to eBay for comment about this rising retro-trend.

Meanwhile, after perusing the “aisles” on eBay, here are some of the most expensive listings for film titles on VHS as of Thursday.

Back to the Future

• Release Date: 1989
    • Condition: Brand New
    • Current Listing Price: $14,080

Gremlins

• Release Date: 1985
    • Current Listing Price: $4,500

Simply posting a VHS on eBay doesn’t guarantee you’ll get big bucks — the condition must be top-notch.Ebay

The Fast and the Furious

• Release Date: 2002
    • Current Listing Price: $1,250

First Blood

• Release Date: 1982
    • Current Listing Price: $15,000

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 25,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

Thank you very much

I let you know when it arrives.

for all those interested old and some still even sealed in the box VHS DVD players and recorders always plenty on the secondary market and thrift stores

we just had too many VHS tapes to toss them so I bought a couple more just to have and made sure they had the remote with them I don't know how many we have I know a lot were never even opened and plenty more maybe watched Onces or twice.

may have to look on ebay for prices but asking and getting are always way apart

I have read the drive belts ar the worst part to break but I will guess a replacement could be found or made

my oldest sone several years back transferred our VHS to DVD all our family based tapes we had recorded over the years and then our old photos on to zip drives