In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Plane, the plane,,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,252 ******

Possible wreckage of Amelia Earhart's plane discovered. Very interesting, watching for all updates.

Many news stories on the subject. What do you think, is this it at last?

Comments

• Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭

I've been keeping an eye on it also. It's sitting at, what, 15k feet? Deeper than Titanic, anyways.

Speaking of aircraft; two F-15s made a couple laps over town this morning. Weren't going all that fast, but the sound sure made me smile.

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭

There's an awful lot of aircraft sitting on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

I always had a hard time with the idea she flew around until she ran out of fuel and ditched. I think any good pilot realizing their fuel was getting critical would put their plane down on an island and call for help.

I think the TIGHAR idea of her landing on Gardner Island (now Nikumaroro) has a lot of merit. The coral reef surrounding the island is flat at low tide and would have been possible to land on.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,623 ******

I hope they found it. It would be nice to put an end to this 87 year old mystery!

I have read in the past many theories of what happened to Earhart and Noonan. Most were just stories without substantial evidence but pretty sure those stories put out a few paychecks into the hands of the writers.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭

To me the image is like the face on Mars. I'll wait until they bring it up.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭

Chris, you've never flown over the Pacific Ocean, have you? The idea of "just land on an island" is laughable.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭

I know, it's pretty far-fetched considering how vast the Pacific is. Those poor pilots in the missing Avenger squadron obviously had to ditch for lack of fuel.

I just think it's fascinating that the young ham operator in Florida picked up some distress calls and she wrote them all down. One of them repeated a garbled message that said Amelia Earhart and something that. sounded like New York City, which later was thought to mean SS Norwich City, the ship that went aground on Gardner in the late 1920s, and is still there.

IF, at low tide before the plane washed off the reef, she could have run the right engine to charge the battery and use the radio.

Unless this plane at very deep depth is brought up, I guess it will remain a mystery. It would be great if it was finally answered though.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭

The fact is that they ran out of fuel looking for someplace to land. She/they made some pretty poor decisions and they died as a result. We'll never know if they even managed to get out of the plane before it sank. Water landings can be smooth or like hitting concrete.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,512 ✭✭✭✭

I saw the image of the supposed Earhart plane and it is rather vague. It is so deep. I doubt anything will come of this.

What a mystery. The greatest aviation mystery for decades, recently, tied by the Malaysia 370.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,666 ✭✭✭✭
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭

Charge people to go take a look in a homemade sub.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭

I've read several serious reports that states she was known to be a lousy pilot and her flight navigator was a drunk. With those 2 combinations and flying out over the Pacific manure is bound to happen.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭

Someone finds her plane every few years. She is the most found lost person ever. Don