In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver Recommendation

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭

My wife is getting concerned living out of town w/o many neighbors, none of which we know. I'm thinking of a small caliber revolver. After my big inventory reduction sale a couple of years ago I only have a Hammerli in .357. That would be a disaster. I'm thinking of a Ruger Wrangler 22LR. What do you guys think? Alternatives? Any owners here? Realistically, I don't think she will ever shoot it except when I take her out back to familiarize her with it as she has never shot a firearm. Thanks guys.

It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Small frame double action.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******

would a .38 be too much for her?

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

This could work - and a little more zzzappp - Ruger LCRX .22 WMR

• Options
    edited April 10

I thought of using .38 in the Hammerli but it's a heavy gun and she is a thin woman with small hands. Yes, I thought of loading it in .38 and that would help with recoil but I've had it for 20 years, unfired, and a case hardened beauty plus she would probably abuse it. That's why I was thinking a inexpensive revolver in 22LR. There are others cheaper but I really like Ruger. Having an aluminum frame it's fairly light. I would rather keep away from the less expensive pot metal frames. The only drawback is that it's single action only. I would prefer s/d action.

• Options

What do you recommend Toolman286?

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe one chambered in 327 Federal Magnum? If you did that you can shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, and 32 H&R magnum. You could ramp up the power as she gets more comfortable.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10

"Never shot a firearm," with small hands. Don't break her in with anything other than a 22 caliber. The Wrangler IMO, would be great, safe and comfortable to shoot. Simple to operate and see if she wants something in a larger caliber down the line. Start slow and if that's the speed it still will take care of the problem if needed.

I stand by my statement- My wife tried this same thing 20 years ago. Tried the 380 , didn’t like it with recoil, 38 Smith revolver, same thing, not comfortable, then along came a single six, been with her since and after carrying in the woods, hiking ect. became very good with it.

Fast forward, still has the s/s for outside areas and a beretta 21 for carry, 22s. Can’t rack the slide but tip up barrel does the trick.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭

" I'm thinking of a Ruger Wrangler 22LR. What do you guys think? "

Worst possible choice for actual self defense IMHO. Good quality revolver in 38 SP would be my advice. Wide variety of ammo in several 'power levels' from low end, light recoil to premium SD capable loads.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Be sure to try before you buy. You will be surprised how many folks find a double action trigger pull too difficult to fire. Think Woolf spring set.

Neal

• Options
    NotDraconNotDracon Member Posts: 66 ✭✭

(Disclaimer: following post is based on theoretical knowledge and only a little practical experience.)

Ruger Wrangler… did that come before or after Heritage's Rough Rider? I had a Rough Rider and that was a fun little plinker to own, but to have it for self-defense? A single-action six-shooter that reloads via loading gate chambered for .22 LR doesn't seem recommendable in my opinion, especially if she's never shot a gun before.

If you insist on a small frame handgun from the Ruger brand in .22, why not the SR22? Loads 10 rounds per mag (upgradeable to 15) in semi-auto with a slim profile. Or does it HAVE to be a revolver?

• Options

Can't vouch for the others but I respect the .22 LR, hopefully my post didn't seem dismissive of the round. Just concerned for the original poster's choice of firearm given the intended purpose.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭

Ruger SR-22

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭✭

I second the 410 shotgun.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,420 ***** Forums Admin

Second that. My wife has a S&W model 36 (5 shot 38 Special) with a 3" barrel. We also have a "Lady Smith", which is the same revolver with an 1-7/8" barrel. They both sport Crimson Trace laser grips.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,385 ******

My other half likes her SR9 so that or SR22 would be a good choice for a novice shooter in a semi style pistol, I think a revolver would also be a fine choice based on your description. I enjoy the single six and a used one in 22 can be had fairly easily. Nothing wrong with the newer Wranglers but the older style revolvers just feel stronger to me. I'd probably start her out with any Ruger in 22 that you could find for a good price and then if interested move on to a semi.

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I still favor the Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP for smaller people who don't shoot much. My wife is in that category and it is ideal for her: SA/DA, tip-up barrel for easy load/unload without having to rack the slide (although you can). The debate regarding firepower will never end, but IMHO this is as good a compromise as is practical. In production since 1996.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭✭

I asked the boss and she seconded the .410 shotgun. Of course being the trap shooter that she is, she indicated one of our 12 ga's is fine for her. Did I mention the boss is scary sometimes?

For a 22 revolver she likes the Ruger LCRx. 8 shot 22lr that can be fired SA or DA and only weighs 17 ounces. Costs twice or more than the Wrangler, but holds 8 and can be fired DA if needed. She tried one and it is now on the shopping list. Bob

• Options

If you're willing to divert from the Ruger brand and still set on a .22 revolver, the Rough Rider costs half what a Wrangler usually costs and a 9-round cylinder is available for it.

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Wrangler but wouldn’t consider that for a defense gun for a novice shooter. I’d suggest a 3” Ruger LCR or even something like the newer Ruger Security.380 with the light racking slide. Spend a little on some basic training. Yes a .22 can and has killed people but rimfire ammo is not as reliable as centerfire. Anyone can learn to use a bigger gun with just a little training including smaller ladies. Why shortchange someone who’s a novice with a single action.22. Leave those for targets or varmints.

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Another vote for the 327, it will fire 32 s&w a good starting point.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
  • Options

Thanks for all the advice guys. I hadn't considered the trigger pull on the DA. I had a Heritage but sold it i my big sale. It wouldn't be good for her anyway as it was one of those with the crazy barrel length. I bought it mainly for it's amusement value. I'm going to start looking on the other side. Thanks again

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,199 ******

look at the Ruger Wrangler shop keeper. Birds head grip and shorter barrel.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11

ladies and KISS

I would find a simple double barrel shotgun. The one lever to open and a safety.

This in corner or closet will be just what the Dr ordered.

The fact I see the bad guy needs to see the gun from far away for the notgun savvy.

Also it’s hard to miss with a scattergun

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭

How ‘bout one of these? The best of both worlds. .410 revolver shotgun. Bob’s your uncle!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,415 ******

I own a High Standard Double 9 revolver in 22 LR. I recommend one of these out of all the newer made options and there are usually several in great condition listed here on GB for sale.

Just one example here (I have absolutely nothing vested in this example)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1044281489

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭

Take her to a range that rents guns and spend some money and time to let HER pick out the one she likes the best. Spend a little extra money and time to make a one time purchase instead of a mistake. When she picks it up and shoots it the look on her face will tell you that this is the one.

The very best advice by far.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭

22 longs are under rated. They will do the job.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭

A single-action .22 is perhaps the best gun to LEARN revolver shooting. And it's also one that's practical enough to keep forever.

Once revolver shooting is learned, however, and recoil has long since ceased to be an issue, a .38 Special DA is a much better choice for defense. Wadcutter target loads recoil not much more than a .22 and are many times more effective for defense. From there on up is simply a matter of experience and shooting time.

All that said, DO allow her to make the choice.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I think you should look at a good Glock 9mm. Or SIG P365X.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭

Another vote for a S&W 351 PD .22 mag. The light gathering front sight is great. The short counter bore muzzle makes the bad guy think he is facing more gun. Only drawback is the heavy DA trigger pull. That can be reduced, but at the risk of misfires.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭

To learn with I would also suggest the Rough Rider… I got here on Gun Broker for 99.00 last year.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭

2 cents. A 22 magnum crack in a short barrel will hurt you hearing much more than a 38 special.

Ear muffs for anything practice shooting should be the rule.