In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is it Time for a Change? Forums Past and Present....

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: This is not in any way intended to be a critique or criticism of Gunbroker or its policies. Simply a discussion. If Mods disagree, please delete.

Was just browsing through all the forums, and realized that many/most are rarely being used, with some having no new posts for months at a time. Indeed, as we know, even General Discussion is getting to be a bit of a ghost town. Just curious how new and old alike see it…..do you think it's compounding our challenge to compete against the latest and greatest social media sites? I think a lot of folks may go to some of the forums, see it's slow, and just abort the whole site immediately.

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if it would attract more "new talent" if we have fewer categories that house more recent threads (i.e. combined)? For example…..maybe just a consolidated General Discussion coupled with an Ask the Experts.

What would be your recipe for success?

In any case, I'll support the forums until the end, and respect whatever set-up Gunbroker provides.

Comments

• bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'm good.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 25,103 ✭✭✭✭

Agree 20+ years ago like the wild west and open not so much any more But I just we nt withe changes

This is the only on line forum I read or post on that includes face book

So I have no clue as to the latest and greatest chat or social media you speak of

I may be missing out but content with the curent group on here

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26

Yea, I like our manners a lot better now than 20 years ago. Wild West back then! I’m just wonder if consolidating the active threads might make for a busier forum. Forums are like snowballs. The more they get going, the bigger they get.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭✭

But the bad manners were VERY entertaining!😊

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭

I received the ban hammer under each system. The second one was more fun.🙂

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,945 ✭✭✭✭

The median age here is probably 60? I agree with combining ask the experts🧐,General would be good - Fishing hole and black powder together - ect . This forum like everything else has an expire date and it is about 3/4 there.
    Imo

I do more than my part on auction side to support this newspaper and will continue to do so though.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,054 ******

Some other forums I watch have way more categories than this one.

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

the forums are just a holdover from the past, I am of the opinion that no one in real power really cares too much about us leftovers. the good old days were a hoot, hell I miss the Capt., now it is a pale ghost of itself due to the loss of many interesting and insightful members. I first discovered G/B sometime in '99, took several years to join the forum, even today I mostly read and enjoy, give some info/knowledge when I can , and now visit only sporadically.

I hope the forums hang around and improve or get more active with new or old members , but I am thinking it too will be fading away sooner than later. it can't get much kinder and gentler then it is now…. hey maybe we can add a new forum subsection…" knitting and crocheting for overly testosterone hoarding members that identify as of the male gender"

"""all opinions expressed here are for comedic purposes only , no bad mouthing or mean talk meant or expressed by the member/author, or are aimed at, THE THEM IN CHARGE, or implied about THEM in this essay.😎🔫 """ Pleasant Dreams and Peace Out!

• wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭

I miss Earl. It was so entertaining reading all his exaggerated posts.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26

The forums went from being a saloon to being a nunnery. Lost all the raucous fights, but also the customers.

I wish there were some middle ground.

The big change came when one had to be a registered auction side member to post here. That immediately cut the membership by at least half, by my guess. I, for example, have no interest in the auction side and almost never visit there. I wonder how many people are the opposite.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

I like it the way it is.

I can go to any forum or anti-social media site on the 'net and get bad manners and abuse from Internet tough guys. Most of the time, things said here are the same things that could/would be said in person. I like that. No trolls is a good thing.

As for the categories, Politics and General Discussion should always remain separated. I think that division helps the moderators keep the peace.

🇺🇲 "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson 🇺🇲

True. There is one in particular I’m thinking of that must have 30 or 40 different sub-forums. Problem is everything is so spread out that threads never generate any discussion. They just sit for months.

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Uses to post on the reloading forum many years ago and it was very active until it became "Over Moderated" and had a slow death. most went elsewhere.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭

It went downhill when DWS left.

Well, as we head down the gripe trail….I can feel the 🔒 a coming.

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭

I hang around only to redeem the points I've earned on GB'er. 😄

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Really? I disagree, the forum has changed but I don't believe it's at the point of dying, at least I hope not.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,686 ✭✭✭✭

IIRC Ammo Inc was trading for $9+ in mid 2021 when they bought GB . And I think most of the purchase price was paid with Ammo Inc. stock

If you look good it should be classified as a penny stock maybe it has been, it takes a lot of pennies to get rich 😉.

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭

My dear Jim, surely you wouldn't be an instigator. Say it ain't so! 😁

It is admittedly a friendlier place. I try to make a post at least once a day just to keep my "face" known.

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭

No question that the times, they are a changin' to paraphrase Bob. I agree that things did get a little out of hand with personal attacks. Some folks were just entertaining with outrageous statements. The trolls were sometimes OK but became a pest. With my knowledge, I'm banned from the expert's forum and that's OK. Perhaps a couple of the lessor frequented forums could be combined. I visit the auction side and have sold a handful of things over the years. Kasey sold about 70 items of mine during my downsizing about 3 years ago. All in all, I'm happy here though I'd like to see a bit more fire. As my late dad would tell me "All things in moderation". At the time, I thought he was just talking about women. I would like to see to Mods beside Jim join in here.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27

Grasshopper, let's not discusses age.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,562 ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if you were correct, but I think the trend is down. Heck, if 4 more of us die, there will only be 5 left.

I was once a "super mod" at another forum site. It is indeed both challenging and thankless.

I've broken the rules here a time or three, usually inadvertently. Like all of us, my fingers sometime talk before my brain gets to edit.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,420 ******
    edited September 27

The old forums, were it was 20 years ago and many more of us. "Their house, their rules", was quoted in every other thread. CaptFun was not only forum admin, but co-owner / co-founder of the business. He had access to all the control buttons for forums and auction side both. Forum membership was open enrollment, and new members were warned first thing, "better have thick skin".

20 some years, and a new forum later, here we are. New forum, new owners, new staff, new policies. We lost a ton of members when having an auction side account was required. Those member have chose over time not to sign up and participate in the forums. I know you miss…. we all do, but we miss them more than they miss us. We are all 20 years older, and have lost many members through death. Our children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews are not replacing any of us. The younger folks are not as interested as we are. There are so many other social platforms and video games on line.

Rules and policy; Rules have been in place from day one and will remain in place until the last day. Remember, "their house, their rules"?

The rules are posted on every page and on 'Board Announcement' page. A Admin went as far to break down and explain each rule and what it means. Warnings are explained.

The forums are supported by a business. The forums are public viewed, and very popular in search engines. There is some attention brought to the forums that is unwanted. There is some attention that becomes a liability to the business that supports the forums.

Mods; All Mods have authority in all forums (unlike old forum). Mods are volunteers, give them a break. You could've had their job but didn't step up when we were recruiting.

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,562 ✭✭✭✭

But Joe,I make more at McDonald's and have a gun habit to support.

For myself, I would say, with the exception of my fishing buddy Capt. Kirk, I appreciate the current mods more than at any time in the past. Banty roosters don't sit well with me.

Well I'll give my opinion in sign language, interpret as best you can. 🤚 😪 🤬, 👬👫 💘 🐕️ 😽 🇱🇷, ⌛️ 🚙🚤 🐟️🌞 !!

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,420 ******

Bless your heart. ^^^^

1. STOP WHINING
    2. Everyone loves puppies, kitties, America
    3. Time to go fishing

• truthfultruthful Member Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭

I think the current forum activity is a reflection of the overall reduction of interest in guns and other older things as time has passed. I see the exact same thing happening in the old car forums that I frequent. I don't think that the transition from blued steel and walnut to cheap metal and plastic has helped our cause. On a personal level, recently I have had to tolerate one of those "I'm Not A Robot" security things in order to log on. I refuse to use those, so I simply pass and go do something else.