In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Serve in the 1st Bn. 3rd Marines?

BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Anyone here serve in Vietnam in the 1st Bn. 3rd Marines? Or have a family member that did. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    had a friend with 1st Bn. A company 3rd marines during tet he was from Ga. last i heard he was in south dakota
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. The reason I ask is that I have been holding a memento for over 28 years that I would like to pass on to a Marine from the 1st Bn. 3rd. When I was 8 we went to a a yard sale on the 4th of July. They were just closing up and were going to throw out some things. I saw a lighter and I decided to look at it closer. It has had a hard life and wasn't in the best of shape but I new I had to get it. The guy at the yard sale decided to sell it to me if I could talk my mom into it. Mom asked me why I wanted it and I told her that it was a special item of a MARINE and I couldn't let them just throw it away. The guy I bought it from said his wife collected lighters and had no idea where it came from. The brand is a Vulcan and the lid has been replaced. The finish is worn. The inside lighter is a ZIPPO. The inside cotton and wick are gone (demilled as my dad did not want me to be a Fire Bug). It has a red shield that says Vietnam on it and it white scroll "1ST. Bn 3rd MARINES" on the top of the shield and on the bottom of the shield in scroll "HOME OF THE BRAVE". On the back is engraved a quote I have often seen "FOR THOSE WHO FIGHT FOR IT LIFE HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW". I have held onto this lighter for a long time with the idea of giving it to a Marine from the 1st of the 3rd someday. I have not run into one yet and thought this may be the place. This might sound kind of juvenile to some but a promise is a promise even if I don't know the particular Marine. I have always figured it was a way for me to say THANK YOU and I have not forgotten. Thanks.
  • Options
    br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i'm sorry i don't know where he is now lost contact several years ago. lots of 3rd. Marine Division names are on the WALL.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If you send the lighter to Zippo in Bradford PA they will restore the lighter at no charge for you. my 2 cents
  • Options
    GENERALLEEGENERALLEE Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was with B 1/3 from Aug.67 thru May 69. I appreciate the offer but for my part just leave it at the WALL so that all of us can remember with reverance and all share in the rememberance.[?] Thank You.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Better yet the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment has its own website and you may be able to locate the original owner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The quote on the lighter, I read on a bunker wall at Camp Carrol when we were there, sometime in 1968. My rememberance of the quote was "The taste of FREEDOM is a taste the protected shall never know"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BEHAVIN, I've reconsidered your offer and I will proudly and with much humility accept your offer on behalf of my fallen brothers and if I ever get to the Wall I'll deliver it to them personally.Your sentiment and wanting to meet your promise to yourself on behalf of an unknown Marine has touched me profoundly and I Thank You.If you have already met your promise thru other means I Thank You. Happy New Year and there should be more 8 yr. old boys with your dedication and integrity and maybe we would not be in the mess we find ourselves in now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GENERALLEE, I have been gone and just saw your post. Please email me your address and I will proudly mail it to you and I thank you for your service and for the opportunity to pass this to a MARINE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I stated in my e-mail to you this momento will be cherished by me and the memories it holds until the time I deliver it to the Wall.I will gladly let you know when this event occurs and will leave a copy of this forum thread with it for all to share. It will be dedicated to all Marines and especially those past and present who have served with 1/3.It is also a testimony to you and your dedication,integrity and your promise that you have held for such a long time.This world needs more young men of your character if Freedom is to prevail.I salute you and if you weren't a Marine,you certainly have the qualities to be one.Thank You[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received the lighter today and it brought the mist to this ole' jarheads eyes. I will cherish it until the day I have a chance to deliver it to its real resting place or until I have to once again live or die by the creedo inscribed on the lighter. THANK YOU and I SALUTE YOU on behalf of the 1ST. BATT/3RD MAR.REG.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am glad to hear that you got it! It has defineatly been around the block but other than the wick and padding on the inside being gone it is just the way I got it 28 1/2 years ago. I am glad to be able to pass it on to a 1st of the 3rd Marine. I THANK YOU for your service and sacrifices.
  • Options
    caseyhtcaseyht Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep right here, B co 1-3-1st platoon 1969 Captain Sam
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Behavin, The lighter was sent to the Wall this day by The Rolling Thunder Motorcycle gathering. I was in attendance at the Memorial day observance but was not able to go myself. The Marine that delivered it for me is a friend and promised to lay it in the apex of the Wall. I have pictures of the group leaving my A.O. and my friend promised to take pictures at the Wall. As soon as I get them downloaded I'll post them here for all to see. Thank You for allowing me to possess this memento for awhile, I cherished it while it was in my possession and it was hard letting it go but it now rest in a more deserving location where others may share it's significance and the stories it could tell. I hope you and yours have a Blessed Memorial Day and THANK YOU for the Honor you bestowed upon me. SEMPER FI
  • Options
    edited November -1
    caseyht, I was in Second platoon. What time frame in 69 were you there?