In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gulf War Syndrom

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
What is the deal with this?
I've been doing a search and there is alot on it...what is it really?

God Bless our Troops

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You are asking the million dollar questions.

Suposidly nobody knows exactly what it is or what causes it.

I can tell you alot about what it does and what symptoms it gives because I live it every day. I am sure you have seen them if you searched it. The list is very long.

I also knew people that have allready died from it. 1 was a good friend from my unit. And many others from my unit are suffering from it.

This site has some of the best info: http://gulfwarvets.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This topic reminded me of this song. I had not heard it is a long time. But if you go to the web site I posted earlier and go to Dave's music it is there to listen too.

Here are the words:

WHERE ARE THE VOICES THAT CARE?
    Climbed aboard a C-130, flying so far away. By the time we're unloading, it will be the next day.
    Got a job for my country, Saddam's invasion to foil. Protecting all the Kuwaitis and the free flow of oil.
    They tell us dangerous days are ahead, there will be weapons used that we'll never see,
    And so for my own protection they're gonna give me pills and then inoculate me.
    I'm here to follow my orders, and stop this madman Hussein. They tell me he'll use germ warfare,
    And anyone who would must be completely insane!
    While the flyboys run sorties I'm putting on protective clothing from head to toe.
    My Uncle Sam will protect me because we stand for truth and honor that's what I know!
    A celebration of victory! Congratulations by phone! Returning home on a transport and yellow ribbons are SHOWN!
    People say I'm a hero! People shaking my hands! My family throws me a party! Balloons and rock and roll bands! Yeah!
    But nowadays I feel tired, and at night I perspire. I've always got this damned headache,
    My eyes feel like they are always on fire!
    I've got this rash on my body and I notice that it's growing bigger each day!
    I'm always sick to my stomach! There's no satisfaction living day to day!
    My wife said we'd have a baby and when I found out I smiled! The happiest time in my life, to find I'd father a child!
    I'm decorating the nursery, I feel like tooting my horn! And on the blessed morning, my little boy was STILLBORN! (no, no, No!)
    They say it's psychosomatic. They say it's all in my head. I tried to contact my buddies. Several of them are dead!
    I looked for help from the V.A. I got the big run around.
    I'm always looking for answers but only question after question is found!
    George Bush, Jim Baker, Brent Scocroft where do you fit in this scene? You claim you're "out of the loop"
    But I have got suspicions that your hands are not clean!
    Now General Shwartzkoff gives lectures and Colin Powell signs his book!
    If there's a chance you were paid off I wonder how much it took!
    Tuned in a radio broadcast and Captain Riley was there. Reports from Senator Riegle showed me there's people that care.
    I thank the Nicholson doctors for helping show us a way. There's guys on doxycycline getting treatment each day!
    Overseas it's the front page. British Regimental troops arc dropping like flies! And the American networks are ignoring international cries!
    I don't know where this is going! I don't know where this will end! But now I'm on medication,
    My strength's returning and again I'll defend!
    Apparent forces at work FROM WITHIN! We'll expose them one by one name by name!
    With the hell that we've been through if there is any justice they will suffer the same!
    Don't turn your back on your veterans ! We're only seeking what is honest and fair!
    Where are all those yellow ribbons? I wonder WHERE ARE ALL THOSE "VOICES THAT CARE ?"

words and music by Dave Riddell
    commonlaw copyright 1995
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GWS is very real. Most of us have learned to live with it. I have completely forgotten what it feels like to be normal and healthy (not sick and tired/run down, achey, foggy headed, etc, etc. all the time). VA will do nothing more than try to dope you up with meds. They try to treat the heart problems and emphysema, but I don't think there is much they can do. Trying to get them to compensate you is next to impossible. They conveniently lost all of my medical records after I went through 2+ years of testing for the Persian Gulf Review (and was recommeded for a disability upgrade to 100%). Read through some of these posts and you'll get a better idea of what it all is...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    GWS is very real. Most of us have learned to live with it. I have completely forgotten what it feels like to be normal and healthy (not sick and tired/run down, achey, foggy headed, etc, etc. all the time). VA will do nothing more than try to dope you up with meds. They try to treat the heart problems and emphysema, but I don't think there is much they can do. Trying to get them to compensate you is next to impossible. They conveniently lost all of my medical records after I went through 2+ years of testing for the Persian Gulf Review (and was recommeded for a disability upgrade to 100%). Read through some of these posts and you'll get a better idea of what it all is...
    They tried the lost records on me 1 time. But I got them. I keep full records of my VA medical records. After every visit I request copies of my records.

When they said they had lost some of my records I said, "Well thats fine, I have full copies of all of them. I'll make you some copies of them."

A couple of days later they happened to find another file containing the rest of my records! Who woulda thunk it!
  • Options
    Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read about some of the depleted uranium sabot tank rounds that were used by our Abrams and Marine M-60 tanks over there. * r done, do you think that the exposure to the destroyed Iraqi tanks and armored vehicles by our infantry and armor soldiers may be a contributing factor in GWS?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Glock23Expert
    I've read about some of the depleted uranium sabot tank rounds that were used by our Abrams and Marine M-60 tanks over there. * r done, do you think that the exposure to the destroyed Iraqi tanks and armored vehicles by our infantry and armor soldiers may be a contributing factor in GWS?
    Personally I think it is from a kind of cocktail of things.

This would range from the vaccinations, chemical exposure, possible uranium, smoke from oil fires, ect. It is just speculation though, nobody has been able to pinpoint any one thing.

I know I had exposure to all of the things I listed above. I was at some of the largest chemical bunkers when we blew them up. So I am sure I was exposed in some way.

I also think the government knows what it is. But I think they are going to due us like the Vietnam guys and wait for half of us to die off and then say we made a misstake.

There has been reports of some showing improvement with doxycycline treatments. But the VA won't perscrib it to us. I have also tried to get other doctors to give it to me with no luck.

And another interesting fact is: Every country that was in the collition durring desert storm but 1 (I can't remember which off the top of my head) has people sick. The only thing different in that country was they didn't get the vaccinations or take the PB tablets. But that is the only hint of a possibility of a cause.
  • Options
    andrewkentjacksonandrewkentjackson Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one country that doesn't have any soldiers showing GWS is FRANCE. They did not use PB with their soldiers. I have tried probably all the treatments possible, Including two trips to China for acupuncture. Watch out for the doctors, they drugged me up so bad at first that I didn't know if I was coming or going. I've tried the doxycycline and it didn't improve anything. I currently go to a pain clinic where they treat the fibromyalgia and joint pain. I keep the meds at the lowest rate I can tolerate. I use rittalin (methylphenidate) for the chronic fatigue. I use clonazepam (klonipin) for sleep problems. These seem to be the major areas in which I can make a difference. I use a backbrace for the lower back pain when needed and the doctors are talking about a nerve block in my lower back to reduce my hip pain so I can walk again. I agree strongly with the records issue. Mine "dissapeared" once and a friend tracked them down for me. Now I have a copy of everything! Keep good records of your symptoms if you're still trying to get recognition and assistance from the military. A journal worked really well for me. I also make sure I see my primary physician at least once a month. Good Luck.
  • Options
    scootnshootscootnshoot Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent all of my Active Duty time in Military Intellligence (ha ha) and I agree with the "cocktail" theory. I didn't take the PB tabs like a good soldier, I had already heard too may bad things (liver damage, etc.). Our M-8 Alarms (chemical detectors) went off so much in the latter part of the war that we finally just ignored them. There is no telling what went up in the clouds of smoke from Quamasiyah and other places. I personally saw pictures, that are probably still classified, of all kinds of chemical filled arty shells and mortar rounds , etc. I've had my problems too, fatigue, pain, etc; on top of PTSD. VA's answer----4 bottles of pills to take every day and night and a 70% disability rating (working on 100%). One of these days we'll know.
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No....we will never know what everyone gets exposed to. Can you imagine the liability issue or political backwash?

Chemical warfare. Both sides must deny everything.