In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Transfer from Felon

layzi3layzi3 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi all
I have a friend that just got release from prison and he wants to transfer his shotgun to me. If I go to a dealer will they take this gun away because he's a felon now? or will they allow the transfer? Have anyone here gone through this?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    o yea this is for los angeles, california
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need to find different "friends".
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    He didn't say what felony this man committed. Just because the man went to prison did not mean he did anything wrong. If they want ya, they'll get you, even if they have to make a new law to do so (*cough*peterson*cough*)
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    He didn't say what felony this man committed. Just because the man went to prison did not mean he did anything wrong. If they want ya, they'll get you, even if they have to make a new law to do so (*cough*peterson*cough*)

Very good point Todesengel!!
    Even abiding by the constitutions 2A will make one a felon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    he got a felony for fightin wit a off duty cop. he purchase the gun before this happen so is he able to transfer the gun to me
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lazy- go find a CA dealer and talk with them. Under FEDERAL law, he may NOT possess a firearm. He IS permitted to sell or give them to another person that is NOT prohibited from owning a gun.

But he better not get caught even HOLDING a gun that "belongs" to someone else.

IF you BOTH reside in CA, and IF CA law requires that transfers of shotguns go thru a dealer, you should be able to go to the dealer, have him do paperwork, etc- but your friend does NOT carry the gun to the dealer. Federal law does not require that a face-to-face sale of a gun between 2 private citizens go thru a dealer- CA law may differ.

So as I said, go find a local dealer, and talk with them.
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a thing called Relief from Disability. Have your friend petition the judge in his case to issue one for possesion and ownership of long guns. Depending on the circumstances and his past record the judge will either approve or deny it. If approved he'll recieve a certificate from the court that will allow him to posses and buy long guns. In the meantime keep the gun at your house then its not in his possesion. I know someone in NY got busted for an armed home breakin did time in Attica and got a Relief from Disability to own and posses long guns. And when the instant check says no it is superceded by the certificate issued by the court.

Want to hear crazy? Two yrs ago the NYC police were so desperate for new officers they were accepting and hiring applicants with an E Felony. All with the approval of ATF.
  • Options
    miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steamingutpile
    There is a thing called Relief from Disability. Have your friend petition the judge in his case to issue one for possesion and ownership of long guns. Depending on the circumstances and his past record the judge will either approve or deny it. If approved he'll recieve a certificate from the court that will allow him to posses and buy long guns. In the meantime keep the gun at your house then its not in his possesion. I know someone in NY got busted for an armed home breakin did time in Attica and got a Relief from Disability to own and posses long guns. And when the instant check says no it is superceded by the certificate issued by the court.

Want to hear crazy? Two yrs ago the NYC police were so desperate for new officers they were accepting and hiring applicants with an E Felony. All with the approval of ATF.

May be a waste of time because it was a violent crime which in CA they can't own or even be in the same room with a gun. The Great state KaliFoonia suck's!

My step son got into a fight with a guy that harassed him and now has all of his gun rights stripped for ten years. He didn't find out until he tried buying his son a 410 shot gun a year ago. His only got probation and was required to go to anger management counseling for 6 months plus 5 years informal probation.
  • Options
    steamingutpilesteamingutpile Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No hurt in tryin you never know and what's the worst they can do? Deny it. And if the gun is at your place he's not in possesion. And do you think an armed home invasion isn't violent. The 50yr old woman of the house took that shotgun from a 22yr old and near blew his leg off. I would have aimed higher say testicles.
  • Options
    cougar8040cougar8040 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not all arrest even if you serve time means it was a felony.
    I got into a scuffle years ago before Fla got its laws to stand and not run, other guy brought a knife to a gun fight so to speak and it did not turn out well for him.And the state claimed I did not take enough evasive action, I had no money for lawyers, and had a public defender. Long story short, Judge seen my side of the story and give me 4 years probation with adjudication withheld.
    I only had to serve half of the probation, of course this was the first and only thing I ever had on my record.
    Years later I was granted a full pardon, but never losing my rights to own or have guns, because it never showed as a felony conviction.
    Today I have a CCW license but did have to get a nics Upin # because I kept getting delays on gun purchases . And now have no problems what so ever. For years I thought I had a felony not understanding the adjudication witheld part of it, so if he is not sure of the felony record he should check into it. sorry for the long story.