In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Letter from Lt. Gov of Illinois

saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your thoughts regarding the Second Amendment rights of all Illinois residents.

Hunting is an important tradition across the state and in my native Southern Illinois, and as a former prosecutor and as Lt. Governor, I am committed to protecting our constitutional rights. But we also need to consider the effects of gun violence. Our efforts should focus on protecting both our constitutional rights and our safety.

My goal is to support measures that both reduce gun violence and protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun owners. As firearms legislation moves through the General Assembly, I expect that there will be a robust debate on these issues. I will continue to be involved in discussions that involve the safety of our citizens.

Thank you once again for your thoughts. It is important for me to maintain an active engagement with the public on all matters that affect our state. Please contact my office again at any time.

My reply back:

Ms. Simon,

Thank you for your reply. I must admit I am less than encouraged by your words, specifically in your confusion of hunting in regard to 2nd Ammendment rights. The constitution makes no mention of hunting, and while it is a tradition from the earliest of times, it is not the main reason our founding fathers chose to protect an individual's right keep and bear arms.

What you call gun violence many people simply call crime. You may be aware that violent crime nationally has been on the decline for about 20 years. Not only that, but we are one of the safest countries in the world regarding violent crime, even more so than many countries with much more restrictive gun policies. I agree we need to protect both our constitutional rights and our safety. By protect, I do not mean sacrifice one for the other. I am a father of two young sons. Nothing is more important to me than their safety and well-being, but events like the Sandy Hook shooting will not be averted by compromising the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens.

Like you, I also expect there will be robust debate on this topic. I hope that debate will happen in a public forum in the light of day rather than in back chambers or on the legislature floor in the middle of the night as is too often the case these days.

Again. thank you four your reply. Best regards.

Comments

• Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya! What he said.[:D]

Slimmy little jurks.[8]
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What exactly does a Lt. Governor do all day? That must be one of the easiest jobs in politics! I would guess they never even have to show up and they still collect their paycheck!
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    What exactly does a Lt. Governor do all day? That must be one of the easiest jobs in politics! I would guess they never even have to show up and they still collect their paycheck!

I was thinking the same thing. She has time to contact me, while our actual Gov obviuosly can't be bothered with such mundane things.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    There is no such thing as "Gun Violence". I dispute the validity of the very issue these people claim to be trying to address.

There is a problem of "Human Violence". I say "Human" to set it apart from wild animal acts of violence or domesticated animal acts of violence. All violence requires a living creature to act violently.

Lacking the living creature part, there can be no violence.

Happily, Human Violence in America has been falling steadily for over two decades. Now down by about half in FBI statistics since 1991.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Do you know where she was orginally from? I lived at one time in both regions of illinois.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie
    Do you know where she was orginally from? I lived at one time in both regions of illinois.

Carbondale.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love love love it!
  • Options
    FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good answer!

The lieutenant governor (or whichever staff member wrote that response to you) could benefit from reading the Federalist Papers.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They "Govern" Lieutenants rather than Captains, Majors, Colonels, or Generals...

Kinda like a wife...
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie

Carbondale.

Isn't that where Dick Durbin is from? Carbondale it seemed swang a couple of ways. College town in all.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    They "Govern" Lieutenants rather than Captains, Majors, Colonels, or Generals...

Kinda like a wife...

[:D][:D]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a similar reply. She is worried about gun violence but no other violence is of any concern to them. Nuts.