In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Words of the founders still apply

GoatroperGoatroper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
"A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."

Thomas Jefferson, 1774.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."

Patrick Henry

From: http://pajamasmedia.com/ejectejecteject/ (article entitled Reasonable Men)

Good article from Bill Whittle applying words of the founders to today's political situation. Is his optimism concerning the Tea Party movement justified? Seems to be having some effect on local and national politics in spite of the MSM's ridicule.

I'd agree with Mr. Whittle that these principles apply now just as they did then, and need no reinterpretation. And I continue to hope that what we're seeing is an awakening that will continue to spread.

(BTW, Whittle is a gifted writer and speaker -- for more of his writings see the archives section at the link above; for his video efforts see PJTV at pajamasmedia.com.)

Comments

• Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good article. Would have fit right in with the In thier own words thread.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,400 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I can't find fault with any of the above.
  • Options
    GoatroperGoatroper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buffalobo
    Good article. Would have fit right in with the In thier own words thread.

You're right. I'd have put it there if I'd read that one first.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The founders faced oppressive money grubbing government.
    The words of these profound leaders ring truth resoundingly.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We are getting back to the need for a revolution....
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patrick Henry was a "Founder"? Who knew?
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

quote:Patrick Henry (May 29, 1736 - June 6, 1799) served as the first and sixth post-colonial Governor of Virginia from 1776 to 1779 and subsequently, from 1784 to 1786. A prominent figure in the American Revolution, Henry is known and remembered for his "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" speech, and as one of the Founding Fathers of the United States.

Making it bold, just for the challenged few.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    So true! Extremely true when 'extremists' are in power!!![:(!]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

quote:Patrick Henry (May 29, 1736 - June 6, 1799) served as the first and sixth post-colonial Governor of Virginia from 1776 to 1779 and subsequently, from 1784 to 1786. A prominent figure in the American Revolution, Henry is known and remembered for his "Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" speech, and as one of the Founding Fathers of the United States.

Oh, you found that on the internet, so if must be true. If words were action, you'd be a marching band.

Is it safe to say that by your definition of "founding fathers", anyone that made a speech against the British is one? How about the farmers welding the muskets (and actually doing the fighting), were THEY "founding fathers" too? Were there Indian "founding fathers"?

Those should be some real easy lobs for a brain like you.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1

Oh, you found that on the internet, so if must be true. If words were action, you'd be a marching band.

Is it safe to say that by your definition of "founding fathers", anyone that made a speech against the British is one? How about the farmers welding the muskets (and actually doing the fighting), were THEY "founding fathers" too? Were there Indian "founding fathers"?

My goodness... I am speechless. Such stupidity so far has only been observed in obamanoids, but that was primarily ignorance driven, this case is different, it actually is God given stupidity.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1

My goodness... I am speechless. Such stupidity so far has only been observed in obamanoids, but that was primarily ignorance driven, this case is different, it actually is God given stupidity.

Ill second that..........Seriously Ice, are you kidding[?] God given Stupidity........I like that........... Its a poor somebiatch that bears it though.

all IMHO[:)]