In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

officers defend open carrier

sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qgl7K2CJkA&feature=relmfu

Every cop needs to be as professional and constitutional as the one in this event.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    That sounds about right.[:)]

Perhaps the open carry/free state movement in NH is finally paying dividends. I have always maintained that a right not exercised is relegated to a privilege frowned upon and freely and regularly infringed upon.

One must acclimate the citizenry and the police to such fundamental rights and the fact that people can and will exercise them with no ill effect.

Once the mystery is gone and the practice is normed, the hyperbole and frenzy is massively lessened and eventually, it will be accepted.

This is what I assess is ignored or willfully missed by the gun owning anti-open carry crowd here on GB when they deem open carry as 'stupid' and detrimental to 'gun-rights' (ridiculous).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sovereignman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qgl7K2CJkA&feature=relmfu

Every cop needs to be as professional and constitutional as the one in this event.
    I have watched the Ridley report for years now, and the actions
    of free staters are making a big difference in N.H. I believe change would come much faster in other states if this endeavor were carried to them. It does seem freedom loving people are waking up the general population. Maybe there is hope yet.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I defend the right to carry 'open' but strongly advise against it in a populated area.
    To carry open in a crowed environment shows an EXTREME lack of common sense!!![V]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,345 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    That sounds about right.[:)]

Perhaps the open carry/free state movement in NH is finally paying dividends. I have always maintained that a right not exercised is relegated to a privilege frowned upon and freely and regularly infringed upon.

One must acclimate the citizenry and the police to such fundamental rights and the fact that people can and will exercise them with no ill effect.

Once the mystery is gone and the practice is normed, the hyperbole and frenzy is massively lessened and eventually, it will be accepted.

This is what I assess is ignored or willfully missed by the gun owning anti-open carry crowd here on GB when they deem open carry as 'stupid' and detrimental to 'gun-rights' (ridiculous).

So many people are ignorant of the laws they are to abide by, and/or which give them freedom to act. It's actually quite startling.

Of course, this isn't limited to guns, just look at your typical 4 way stop.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    I defend the right to carry 'open' but strongly advise against it in a populated area.
    To carry open in a crowed environment shows an EXTREME lack of common sense!!![V]
    Either you have the right or you don't. Secure holsters are made for a reason.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Please define "Crowded Environment". At what population density do you favor the Denial Of 2nd Amendment Guaranteed Rights?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Either you have the right or you don't. Secure holsters are made for a reason.

Rights and tactics are not synonymous!!!
    Carrying open, by a civilian, in a crowed environment is just plain stupid!!![V]
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your opinion...but I'll make that decision myself and continue to exercise my rights regardless of population density, time of day, wind, sun, rain, or snow. I refuse to dilute the Constitution by interpreting it any other way than literally. There is no room for compromise when it comes to my rights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    Thanks for your opinion...but I'll make that decision myself and continue to exercise my rights regardless of population density, time of day, wind, sun, rain, or snow. I refuse to dilute the Constitution by interpreting it any other way than literally. There is no room for compromise when it comes to my rights.

What ever. My first priority is my safety and the safety of others because I am a responsible adult. The same can not be said for those who act in an irresponsible manner just because they 'have the right'![;)]
  • Options
    pitbud5pitbud5 Member Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd rather not let know anyone I'm carrying personally
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Carrying open, by a civilian, in a crowed environment is just plain stupid!!![V]

Just out of curiosity, is it stupid for a police officer to carry a holstered sidearm in a crowded environment?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

Just out of curiosity, is it stupid for a police officer to carry a holstered sidearm in a crowded environment?
    Obviously it is, therefore it is equally stupid for a civilian to do so also.

After-all we all know that a citizen cannot attain the weapons retention, situational awareness or level of training of the police, so they shouldn't be 'allowed' to carry guns in the first place.

The po-po will protect you.
  • Options
    edited November -1

No it is not. A uniformed officer has no 'element of surprise' which is one of the most important part of CC, and may require immediate access to the duty gun (uncovered). An officer who is assigned a detail not requiring a uniform caries concealed.
    As Jeff pointed out, we have to do a lot of retention training and many officer use holsters with varying levels of retention.
    Totality of the circumstances![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

No it is not. A uniformed officer has no 'element of surprise' which is one of the most important part of CC, and may require immediate access to the duty gun (uncovered). An officer who is assigned a detail not requiring a uniform caries concealed.
    As Jeff pointed out, we have to do a lot of retention training and many officer use holsters with varying levels of retention.
    Totality of the circumstances![;)]
    The bottom line: If state law allows open carry,it matters not where unless restricted by state laws. And any officer that denies the right is a bad cop...or just ignorant and that is not an excuse as we all know.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Just out of curiosity, is it stupid for a police officer to carry a holstered sidearm in a crowded environment?

I read of a peace officer of the last century, I forget the name or city, but he was often in a position to work crowds. He carried a S&W .44 revolver, loaded with empty cases, on his belt. Under his uniform shirt, in a shoulder holster, was a S&W .38 Combat Masterpiece loaded with real ammo.

If someone were to snatch his primary sidearm, and the officer were to dispatch the snatcher with the secondary, most of you would call it entrapment and murder.

I carry a Level One holster. If I worked in a crowded environment, I would probably select a holster with a higher security level rating and learn to use it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    quote:Just out of curiosity, is it stupid for a police officer to carry a holstered sidearm in a crowded environment?

I read of a peace officer of the last century, I forget the name or city, but he was often in a position to work crowds. He carried a S&W .44 revolver, loaded with empty cases, on his belt. Under his uniform shirt, in a shoulder holster, was a S&W .38 Combat Masterpiece loaded with real ammo.

If someone were to snatch his primary sidearm, and the officer were to dispatch the snatcher with the secondary, most of you would call it entrapment and murder.

I carry a Level One holster. If I worked in a crowded environment, I would probably select a holster with a higher security level rating and learn to use it.

When I came on the PD in 1974 there were several officers I knew who did that. I do not agree with their mentality, but at least one of them had been involved in a shooting where a bandit had taken his gun.
  • Options
    RTKBARTKBA Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If your an LEO you could probably get away with something like that but as a civilian there's no way in hell I would try something like that. I can just see it now, sitting in a court room explaining to a jury that I knew the gun he had was unloaded but I shot and killed him anyway......

Depending on which side of the fence the DA is on he could probably go so far as to charge you with premeditated murder, I mean why else would you walk around with an unloaded gun in plain view while carrying a loaded backup. IMO
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes, it was unloaded, but the poor misunderstood dead guy could just as easily have left it alone!

I have also known of officers who would carry their belt gun loaded so that the first time the trigger is pulled, the hammer falls on an empty chamber. The logic was, if a bad guy snatched it and tried to use it, the hammer falling on the empty chamber might confuse him and buy the officer time to pull a second gun.

What about auto pistols that have the magazine disconnect feature? I have never used one and don't care for the feature, but some feel it offers a tactical advantage. If the cop and the bad guy are grappling over the gun, the cop punches the mag release, disabling the gun, and lets go of it, so that the bad guy has it. Then, the cop can either shoot him with his second gun or whack him with his stick.

An instructor at the academy I attended in Arkansas showed us how to wrap the thong of the nightstick so that we could twirl it, but that if someone really wanted the stick, they could take it without breaking our thumbs. Some very green student asked what happens then. The instructor replied, "You pull your gun and shoot him. He is now armed with a deadly weapon."
  • Options
    edited November -1

When I came on the PD in 1974 there were several officers I knew who did that. I do not agree with their mentality, but at least one of them had been involved in a shooting where a bandit had taken his gun.
    There is no excuse for an officer to loose his weapon, he is supposed to be in control at all times right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Obviously it is, therefore it is equally stupid for a civilian to do so also.

After-all we all know that a citizen cannot attain the weapons retention, situational awareness or level of training of the police, so they shouldn't be 'allowed' to carry guns in the first place.

The po-po will protect you.

Big +1 ,,,,NOT. Most of the time the Po Po is late to the party.
  • Options
    edited November -1

There is no excuse for an officer to loose his weapon, he is supposed to be in control at all times right.
    YOU NEED SOME SERIOUS REALITY THARAPHY!!!![xx(]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,345 ******
    edited November -1

Why would he shoot a man he knew had a useless weapon? seems bizarre to me.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain